Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » metabolism

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: metabolism
pretzle
Neophyte
Member # 18166

Icon 9 posted      Profile for pretzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it true that losing a lot of weight though anorexia will mess up your metabolism so when you're older you get fat?
Posts: 18 | From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's fairly common, yes. Because the body is smart and it wants to live: when you starve it, metabolism slows down to try and conserve those few calories as best it can.

Do you have an ED? If so, sooner is always better in terms of getting treatment so you can learn healthy, sane eating before your body suffers serious damage from starvation.

Posts: 67994 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pretzle
Neophyte
Member # 18166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pretzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would your metabolism always stay low so you get fat, or does it change when you're eating properly again?

Posts: 18 | From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really depends on how much damage you did. But yes, starvation can permanently slow metabolism: I know it did mine to a minor degree, even though mine was due to poverty and illness, not to intentional starvation.

I have done a few projects with women who are recovered anorexics whose body types or size, essentially, were permanently changed. You can imagine how hard it would be for an anorextic to have to deal with that too, when accepting an average-sized or even very thin body is often hard enough. The women I know who have learned to accept the whole bag -- and even love their larger bodies later -- are really amazing people.

Again, if you have an ED, don't figure out how long you can have it before you get terribly ill. A change in metabolism is really the least of your worries, though I can understand that to someone eating disordered, who needs very much to feel they can control their appearance and size, that permanent weight gain one cannot repair would be very scary. But serious bone loss, heart problems, loss of hair, skin maladies -- all of the long-term effects are serious.

So, if you do have an ED now, again, I encourage you to seek out help and treatment now, not later. Not just to avoid all those effects, but also to give yourself a decent quality of life and health right now.

Posts: 67994 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pretzle
Neophyte
Member # 18166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pretzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[This message has been edited by pretzle (edited 05-22-2004).]

Heather
Member # 3

You know, when I was a teenager, I didn't think I'd be able to live to see my high school graduation. I had plenty of reasons for thinking that, but the fact of the matter is that all of us are a lot stronger than we think, and we change a lot as we grow, especially when we get help and treatment when we need it.

People live through things you likely can't even fathom. Being fat isn't a death sentence: in fact, plenty of people are size love their bodies, likely more than you do your not-fat body, honey. And your ED is a lot of WHY you're not going to be able to see yourself as amazing, because EDs are, in part, due to self-esteem problems.

And ED and cutting are things you need help with and treatment for. You get that and really work through things over a few years, chances are really, really good you won't feel like you do anymore.

Therapy is private. No one else but you (and your folks, if you like) and your therapist needs to know. And heck, if you really feel you won't be able to live with a ruined metabolism, then it's certainly in your best interest to get past hurting your body and mind this way sooner rather than later so you can have a healthy body.

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 05-21-2004).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.