Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » prozac

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: prozac
foreverlovin
Activist
Member # 15319

Icon 5 posted      Profile for foreverlovin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi, i need some advice from anyone on prozac or if u know about it. i have been taking it since i was 5 and now i am almost 16. well my parents can't pay for it anymore and we don't have inserance. In the begining i went on it for ocd and my fears. well now i don't really have that anymore but have really bad anxiaty. my heart beats really fast, i can't concintrate, i sometimes cry and get sad without it and im also parinoid when i am without it. my question is, my parents really want me to get off of it because they don't want me to spend the rest of my life on it but the thing is.. its sooo hard not to take it because of so many problems i have. im not sure if the med. made the problems in the first place and if its just making them worse as time goes on or if i really need the med to help with them because its just my body that has the problems. i just am not sure if i should get off cause its makin them worse or to stay on. please help!! thxs soooo much
Posts: 52 | From: boca raton, fl, us | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to talk to the doctor currently prescribing it to you. he or she is going to be the very best person to ask.

They can determine if, perhaps, it's time to either wean you off slowly (you should never just go off entirely cold turkey), or switch you to a different medication (for instance, if anxiety is your biggie, other medications may in fact do the job better at this point, than Prozac does).

If you can't afford to see your existing doctor, you can call and ask him orh her for a reference, and to send your records to, a low-income clinic or sliding-fee clinic you can use.

Posts: 68256 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rhiannonwitch
Neophyte
Member # 18135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rhiannonwitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently taking Zoloft, which is the same type of drug, a SSRI(Selective Seritonin Reuptake Inhibitor). Although I question the reputability of your doctor prescribing you prozac while you brain and chemical balances were still developing, it cannot be helped. That said, you should definately try your hardest to reduce you dose and ultimately get of the drug. I know how hard depression can be(which is why I take Zoloft), but I also know that I don't want to be on meds for the rest of my life, as it can't be good for my body. There are real-life alternatives to replace what the drugs do for you. Creativity-poetry, short stories, and art, or exercise...there are lots of things that will redirect your attention. Good luck, and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask! Peace and chicken grease-
Posts: 5 | From: Wilmington, NC, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.