Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Depression?

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Depression?
Member # 17374

Icon 12 posted      Profile for stopthesanity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lately, I haven't been very upbeat. I don't like to get involved in "common" sports (i.e. soccer) at all, but I never have. I USED to like going to Scouts, but now I really hate it. Speaking of hate, I feel like I can't stand my family. I'm only happy by myself, or with one or two certain people. I've also had a few suicidal moments, but not seriously- I'm afraid of pain. BUT I get a morbid happiness when I'm angry at someone and picturing some form of death. Is that normal? I don't usually feel as down as this sounds, but I'm never completely happy either.Is this depression, or am I just having a bad mood swing?
Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one can diagnose you over the internet as being depressed or not. All I can tell you is if you don't feel yourself, then something is wrong. There are several 'self diagnosis, depression' quizes on the internet, but none make up for the care you can receive through a doc. They will all tell you to see your doc if you have more than X number of symptoms.

Eventhough these thoughts of suicide are not 'serious' they are of concern. Withdrawing from social activities, and feeling 'down' or not happy is of concern.

If you feel like you could hurt someone when you get mad, then you need to seek help now. Same thing goes for if you make a plan or seriously consider committing suicide.

What I suggest to you is to go see your family doc. They are much better at help you then anyone on the internet ever could (they have family history, you, ect...). You need to tell the doc everything you have said here, and anything else. They will be able to put you on the path towards 'feeling better'. You can also tell your parents what you are feeling, tell them that you think you need help, but you don't know what to do. I am sure they are more then willing to help you in your time of need. Either way you are gonna need to see your doc. It could be as simple as a mild chemical imbalance to something requiring more serious attention. In any case, your doc is gonna need to be seen.

Everyone feels 'blue' once and awhile, it's normal. When it lasts more than 2 weeks, or is accompanied by thoughts of hurting yourself or others then it is time to seek help.

If you find yourself in immediate need of help, call the police (or ambulance if you have hurt yourself), a suicide hotline in your area, a teen support hotline in your area, or present yourself to the nearest emergency department. There is no shame in seeking help. It shows you are brave, and realize you need help.

I got accepted into not only 1 but 2 master's in audiology programs! Woo hoo!! I am gonna be an Audiologist!!!

Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

  New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3