Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Why can't I just be normal?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why can't I just be normal?
ruffled_cat
Neophyte
Member # 17260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ruffled_cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone. I'm kind of new to these boards. I have a bit of a problem though, and I was hoping I could get a little advice

When I was younger, I was sexually molested. Ever since then, I've had this love hate relationship with sex and physical contact. In the last two years, my loving boyfriend has made it easier to be open about sex and physical love, but I still have a problem.

I can't, for the life of me, look at, think about, or even say the names of male genitals. At all. It might seems kind of funny, but it's really frustrating to me. It's almost, almost, to the point of being a phobia. I mean, I'm not afraid of them. I'm just really embarassed and shy. I can't even talk about this with my boyfriend, because I'm so ashamed. I'm 20 years old and really hope that I can have sex one of these days without feeling like I'm about to die from embarassment. After all, I can't tell him I have a headache for the rest of my life.

Am I just crazy?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you not had any sort of counseling or therapy yet or recently?
Posts: 68006 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ruffled_cat
Neophyte
Member # 17260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ruffled_cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have, actually, but I never seemed to connect to the people that were there to help me. Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't help when a therapist tells you that you're crazy.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it most certainly would not.

But it likely would to have one -- preferably experienced in working with sexual abuse survivors -- who could give you some support, help you learn to process and aid you in working out the sorts of issues you're having right now, which are all incredibly common for survivors, especially those who haven't had any opportunity to work through all the residual issues abuse leaves in its wake.

So, I'd make a point of making some calls to seek one out. I know that I can't imagine having gotten to a healthy place in terms of the abuse in my life without the therapist I had. In the interim, I think you'll also find a lot of help in Staci Haines' book "The Survivor's Guide to Sex."

Ultimately, having sex with any partner who isn't informed and aware of your abuse -- and the feelings it has left you with, where you're at with them -- is generally NOT a good idea, especially when you're at the point you are at. So, if you're having to just put it off and tell someone you have a headache rather than being honest, either now really isn't a good time for sex yet and/or that isn't a good partner for you. But it sounds like it's the former, rather than the latter.

But you're probably going to need some help getting there.

Posts: 68006 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.