Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » It doesn't feel real...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It doesn't feel real...
PsychoGirl
Activist
Member # 10602

Icon 9 posted      Profile for PsychoGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, well, recently my psychologist told me that I suffer from major depression and anxiety disorder. I don't know what it is, but sometimes the things I do don't feel real. Like, if I do somthing wrong, it feels like maybe it was all a dream or somthing... I don't feel bad about it... I don't know what to do. It's not like I'm using this whole depression thing as an excuse... It's just like I don't feel that life's really worth it, so why bother, ya know? I donno... I want it to be good... I want life to be better and I'm trying really hard. Visiting the psychologist helps a whole lot, but I don't see him enough... Is there anything I can do to help? Why do I feel this way? :'(
Posts: 85 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glc097
Neophyte
Member # 15860

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glc097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Life is worth every penny. But, what exactly do you mean by do something wrong? Sometimes things that are considered wrong aren't meant for you to feel bad, such as asnwering a problem wrong at school, or some things that are accidents. Everyone gets down in the dumps every now and then, and lots of times people feel like life isn't worth it. But it is. No matter how dark the night is, dawn always comes. Remember that. Also, maybe you can ask your pshychologist if you can see him more often? Although they have a busy schedule with other patients too I'm sure, but you could always talk to a family member or friend about this, too. Try to find a hobbie that makes you happy, or distracts you from whatever is making you feel sad. For me, listening to music or drawing is good. But try and find out what you like. I often wonder why I feel down too, and sometimes we can't help it. So we just have to remember that things will always get better, no matter how deep the down times feel. Even though, sometimes it seems like nothing will get better, which sadly too many people think or have been led to think. But, if you want life to get better, soon it will. You just have to find new things and hobbies, join some clubs that have to do with your interests or (especially my favorite) watch comedy movies or remember funny times. Laughing always makes everyone feel better, even only for a little. =) But remember, emotions are only temporary, feel them, but don't let them control you.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feeling that everything is unreal and feeling that nothing's worth bothering about are both possible symptoms of anxiety or depression. Being aware that they're part of your condition can help you learn to deal with them.

Perhaps you could ask the psychologist for some suggestions of "homework" that you could do between visits, or ask him to recommend some books about dealing with anxiety and depression.

Many people find that learning relaxation techniques, breathing techniques, meditation, and/or yoga can help in dealing with anxiety, so this might be worth investigating. Physical activities like yoga can also help make you feel more "grounded" and in touch with your body if things are feeling unreal.

If nothing else is helping, or if they're helping but not enough, then it might be time to talk to your psychologist about the possibility of medication.

[This message has been edited by logic_grrl (edited 01-01-2004).]

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.