Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » axiety problem...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: axiety problem...
guynamedthomas
Activist
Member # 11236

Icon 5 posted      Profile for guynamedthomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, sort of funny yet serious. i was out driving around tonight and a little commercial for a clinic came on listing several things. it said if you say yes to 3 of those then you were possibly suffering from anxiety or depression. well 3?i answered yes to about 14 of the 15. i am a born shy person and have been my whole life now even till the point where i am almost 21. i have never really figured out a way to help it. often times i go on trips, and when i come back i am less shy, i guess it's because i experience new things and meet people who don't know me as the "shy guy". when mad or depressed i often go out and drive and try to relax, dont worry everyone, im not the guy out there driving 35 over because im pissed, i usually slow down when im mad or sad.

what can i do to try and help myself. i know i could go see a therapist. but it's harder than you think to just say, "hi, i have anxiety, i need to make an appointment." especially because the only person in the whole world that knows this is my older brother. i try and harness my anger with people just to stay out of conflict sometimes, which just hurts me in the long run i know.

i have always realized my problems, but have never figured out a way to fix them. what are some things i can try, or read online to treat myself?

it's not even that i have a bad life, i am a hansom youngman who has an amazing g/f, nice parents, go to a nice school, great friends, have a car of my own...., but anyways, im gonna cut my post to that. thanks

Posts: 97 | From: atlanta, ga | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's impossible to diagnose anxiety or depression definitively from a radio ad, just as it's impossible for any of us here to tell you that you'd don't suffer from these disorders, as we're not psychologists and couldn't diagnose these things over the internet even if we were.

Plenty of people are shy- this isn't a psychological disorder. Myself, my boyfriend and many of my good friends are people who tend to be reserved in certain types of social situations. It's also normal to have a bit of a temper, so long as you don't go around harming others because of it- and you seem to have developed methods of dealing with your anger, which makes me think it's probably not a problem. Inasfar as being afraid of dealing with conflict goes, I again am much like that myself- for me, I think it's related to my fear that people will dislike me if I have a conflict with them, although that may not be the case with you. I find the best method for dealing with this is to start small. When a small conflict arises, the outcome of which is not terribly important, make sure you assert yourself. Once you've got the hang of that, then then move on to slightly larger conflicts. I find it useful to pretend that I'm acting in a play- to work out my lines and say them, and eventually it becomes more natural.

Of course, you haven't told us all too much here- if you are feeling so depressed that its stopping you from living your day to day life, or if you're causing harm to yourself, then you do need to seek help. In any case, I think that as you're concerned, it might be a good idea to see a doctor anyway. Rather than seeing a therapist, why not make an appointment with your regular GP, and treat is as you would any other illness- as though you'd heard an ad on the radio about some toe fungus you think you might have. Your doctor will then be able to tell you if s/he thinks taking further steps would be appropriate.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.