Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Generalized Anxiety Disorder

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Generalized Anxiety Disorder
kukka
Neophyte
Member # 12903

Icon 5 posted      Profile for kukka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all,
I noticed that Generalized Anxiety Disorder has been brought up in tiny doses in the past, and so I thought I'd write a little about my experience with it so far. I'm hoping to find out how other people have dealt with it or how they are currently handling it.
No matter how logical something is to me, or how long I've been certain about something, I can find ways to worry about it. For example, my latest worry is that I am going to hell. By my personal religious beliefs, I have no reason to think this at all. Yet, I have been up crying about it for the past few nights, and can think of little else. In a few days the worry will go away, and I will be back to my logical self and my normal belief system. Until then, I will worry nonstop.

Another worry I've had is about getting pregnant--even when there is NO chance whatsoever. I do not have sexual intercourse, and during other sexual activities I use all of the proper precautions *all* of the time. Yet, I still worry. I bet this is a common worry, since becoming pregnant is such a life-changing event. But, I have even worried about being pregnant when there was no kind of sexual contact whatsoever--in other words, absolutely 0% chance.

I'd really like to hear from anyone else who has anxiety disorders, because I think I'd feel a little better just knowing that there are other people who go through the same thing. My friends all just think I am a worrier, when there's a lot more to it.

Thanks!
Lauren

Posts: 1 | From: Dallas, TX / Boston, MA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intense Awakenings
Neophyte
Member # 12862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Intense Awakenings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, I personally do not have this, but I've dealt with people who do, and I think that there is nothing to worry about (no pun intended). It's something that you go through and we have no right to judge. When people call you a worrier, just tell them about this disorder, they should understand, and if they don't, give them links to websites on the disorder.

Good Luck

Love,
Amanda

------------------

Love,
Amanda
-----------
"Whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger."

Posts: 33 | From: Lancaster, Ca, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cathexis
Activist
Member # 5706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cathexis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had several problems with anxiety and most of them have gone away when my depression got under control.

The first one was an intense fear of sleeping. Just the thought of going to bed would get me shivering. I was afraid because every time I slep more than 4 hours
I would get terrible nightmares and wake up feeling really bad, even physically. Just as a side note, this is the only one that still haunts me, even though its a lot easier to deal with now...

Also, at the peak of my depression I started being afraid of srtaying home alone. Actually, I just couldnt be alone, period. and when I say alone, I mean..without someone I knew and trusted. I would start feeling so alone it hurt and I'd start getting all the kinds of harmful thoughts, such as starting cutting again. And things got worse when I got afraid of LEAVING the house. Every time I saw a stranger, I felt like running screaming and hiding under my bed. So I ended up afraid of leaving and staying in the house. At the same tiome, I also got afraid of fast-moving vehicles... Taking a bus or the subway was hellish... Thank god those 3 are gone now that my depression is under control...

Posts: 106 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.