Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » WHAT ABOUT US

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WHAT ABOUT US
Bhsshelly
Neophyte
Member # 11924

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Bhsshelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a big girl who is questioning why we big girls are treated as ugly or why people say she would be pretty if she was not fat. Do you know of any support groups in NYC for me?
thank you

Posts: 8 | From: NYC,NY,USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i knew i heard this somewhere before. you posted it when you first signed up. http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum9/HTML/000564.html

since they're essentially the same question, the mods will close one of them and we'll try to find you an answer.

sorry, i do not know of any support groups for you offhand, but have you tried to read up on the subject?

------------------
¿Qué es el dealio?

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrismMan
Neophyte
Member # 12427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PrismMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think its for the same reason girls generally dont find fat guys attractive...
Posts: 9 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bhsshelly, I'm still fairly new to NYC, and don't know of many resources in the area, but one of our other NYC volunteers does, and I know she's involved in a lot of size-positive stuff. She's on vacation right now, but when she gets back, I'll point her to this thread.

Have you read the book Fat!So? by Marilyn Wann? It's a very cool book about accepting your body, and it has good advice on dealing with people who say things like "you'd be pretty if you weren't fat." The New York Public Library has a number of copies, and you should also be able to find it at bookstores.

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a_c_munson
Activist
Member # 12477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for a_c_munson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The media tells us that big is unattractive. Barbie tells up Cosmo tells us. It is not true. Many guys and gals find big attractive. And are you really obese or just not a size 4. The most beautiful girl I have ever seen is 6'1 and wears a size 16 and let me tell you she never had a problem finding a date. But then she thinks she is beautiful too. And that makes a difference. Big is beautiful (as is small and middle sizes) The most beautiful people are the healthiest. Being healthy gives us symmetry and good skin, makes us beautiful. Getting healthy inside and out is a better goal then getting thin.
Posts: 94 | From: plymouth,mn,usa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curious_Girl101
Neophyte
Member # 7903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curious_Girl101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bigger girls wanna me thin
and thinner girls wanna be big.
beauty is on the inside, i know you;ve all heard this before but its true. If someone doesant like you for who you are you shouldnt be with this person, or even be friends with them. Im a very thin girl, and all my life i was bugged and teased about being soo thin, and iv had friends who thought they were to big, and they had the same problem.Now that im out of h ighschool, and matured i realize, what a waste of time it was to be down all the time listening to people critize me, i dont ev en know these people anymore, i dont know why i even let them have an impact on me. But thats the past, and its done. and im happy with myself now, no matter what anyone says. i know of people whoe ven wanna be models,that think its cool, and they think all the guys are g onna hang at there heels for it,if thats your thing,go for it. But me, i have to much good stuff in my head to be a doll -beauty is on the inside, yet again : ) and if that doesant do it for yea, i know a alot of girls who think there "big", that had better looking boyfriends then me little miss thin girl!. And that goes for guys too, you shouldnt have to change for anyone,if they cant love you for whats inside, there only gon na love you for your outside, and thats no good!.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.