Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » I have two questions...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I have two questions...
vballchck
Activist
Member # 11398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vballchck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I'm very upset right now. Three days ago I went to a counselor (first time) and by the time I got out, she thought I was crazy. She told my Mom (I had to step out of the room I guess) that I needed to go on medication ASAP. So I went to my family doctor and he started talking about how my Grandmother was Schizophrenic (SP?) and how he needed to send in an expert. I feel really psycho right now... I don't really know what I'm asking but I'm really upset (even more so than before) since my doctor told that. I can't stop thinking about it.

Anyway...
They put me on Lexapro (for now). Anyone used this before? How long does it take to work? I have a bad feeling about this medicine.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vballchck
Activist
Member # 11398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vballchck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey, just to let everyone know that wasn't me, that was my friend..she asked me to post it for her

hey..goodluck girl..

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sincerely doubting that a therapist used the word "crazy." That sort of language isn't in as therapists' reptoire, because they know that mental illness is just that: illness, just like any other sort of illness.

And I'll reiterate that: mental illness is like any other illness, like being diabtetic, like having an STI, like any other illness. Illnesses tend to require treatment, sometimes long-term, and medication is one form of treatment. When it comes to mental illness, especially like schizophrenia, it's often highly effective treatment, at that.

Take a minute and realize that if your doctors are correct, you could be on the verge of potentially feeling better than you ever have. That's a reason to be hopeful, not upset. Based on your past posts here, vball, it seems pretty clear to me that finding a possible solution to how you've been feeling and to your lack of control in terms of your moods and behaviour is something to be pretty darn excited about.

Here is the home page for your current medication: http://www.lexapro.com/home/default.asp

You can read up all about it there. In general, SSRIs take at least a few weeks to make a difference, and real differences start to show in a couple of months. These types of medications aren't dangerous and are pretty gentle. Side effects tend to be very minimal. Basically, if what you have isn't chemical, they just won't do anything. If it is, they'll help, though sometimes patients may have to try a couple different formulations or brands to find the one that's right for them.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68189 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
vball, as made very clear in the uder registration guidelines you agreed to when registering, only the person who registered a handle may use it.

If you have friends who want to ask questions, they need to register for themselves.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68189 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vballchck
Activist
Member # 11398

ok, i understand, i was just doing her a favor..sry..she asked me to post it so i did..hopeing to help her. she doesn't have my password and we don't share the account or whatever..i just posted it for her.

[This message has been edited by vballchck (edited 03-22-2003).]

LostAnDelirious7
Neophyte
Member # 11721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LostAnDelirious7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure you're counselor thought you were crazy. I also doubt she thinks your skitzophrenic if that's what you're worried about, because Lexapro is an anti-depressant. If you were skitzophrenic you'd be on different medication. (It is possible you'd be on Lexapro but you'd be on others as well).

I was on Lexapro... Personally I didn't like the way it made me feel, but everyone is different. I know people that are on it that say it makes them feel so much happier. Actually, I dont like how any anti-depressant makes me feels, so it's not the Lexapro. Some people just dont like anti-depressants. Of course my 'case' is very different from yours. (For reasons I'm not going to get into). Anyways, for me it took about 1 1/2 weeks to kick in. I've heard that Lexapro works faster than many other anti-depressants, and it worked faster than both Prozac and Zoloft in my case.

Well, good luck...

Jocelyn

Posts: 14 | From: NJ, USA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.