Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Mom being the homophobic that she is.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mom being the homophobic that she is.
rosjoniblue
Neophyte
Member # 11905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosjoniblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No matter what I do my mother brings up something refering to me being "gay".

For example, I was mailing a package to a friend, who happens to be female, and my mother started called me a lesbian.
As she did when I was mailing some letters to friends,some females.. and some males.

I really have a problem with this because, I have nothing against gay and little does she know I do concider myself Bi, even though it just may be a "stage".

Does anyone have any advice on what to say to her without her being closeminded?

*I didn't write this well, but I have to go in a few minutes.

Posts: 7 | From: philly | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should just ask her why she has a problem with gay people. Just say "Mom, why are you so against lesbians and gays?" and just discuss it.
It's kind of odd that she thinks you are a lesbian because you send letters to your female friends, you should also ask her why that would make you a lesbian.
You just need to have a good talk with her.

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
persephone801
Neophyte
Member # 12100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for persephone801     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good talk hmmm, if the mom is jumping down her daughter's throat calling her gay for perfectly platonic stuff there's something going on here. Maybe your mom is a closet case in denial and worried about you. Maybe you are more troubled than you wrote, but most likely, she found out you think you're bi and she being a normal parent in America is freaked and is choosing to overreact. As you wouldn't tell her if you were in a relationship with a girl, she probably suspects all your friends. If she a real right wing christian, all the more reason for here to be paranoid freaked about your little "secret"
Posts: 29 | From: Okieville, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disco_Hippie
Neophyte
Member # 11697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Disco_Hippie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be like "Mom why are you so against gays? We are human." When my parents say something about gays (I'm not) I just say "They are humans too ya know.Just because they like the other sex doesn't mean we should treat them any different."
However, if your Mom is closeminded then telling her what you think might not work.Then again it might.
Hope I have helped.
Bye,
Hippie

Posts: 17 | From: Fairdealing | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.