Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Vaginismus

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vaginismus
Flic
Neophyte
Member # 8569

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Flic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm hoping to find someone else out there who has the same problem as I do... having wondered for years what was wrong, I finally (with some help from my very supportive, but rather frustrated boyfriend) got up the courage to go to a doctor about the problems I'd had - he said that I had vaginismus...

I don't know anyone else who's had the same problem - and I feel pretty uncomfortable talking about it in person - so I'd love to hear from anyone else who has the same problem (and how they - and their partners - are dealing with it), whatever the cause - anyone?

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
From WebMD

(vaj´´î-niz´mus) painful spasm of the vagina due to involuntary contraction of the vaginal musculature severe enough to prevent intercourse; the cause may be organic or psychogenic.

I'm sorry to hear about that, Flic.
I'd never heard of it, but it seems like something that is not discussed enough.

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FBI Files: Vaginismus – AKA Painful Penetration

A little more info on vaginismus.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Flic.

Due to remembering past sexual trauma in college with a good deal of regularity, I had a spell of vaginismus. It's not easy, and it can be really frustrating and upsetting.

I found that what worked for me was simply having the patience to work with it and go very slowly when it came to any sexual activities. Dumping intercourse altogether for a few months -- and dumping the idea that I had to keep trying to make it work -- helped a lot. Sticking to manual and oral sex when it felt right, and gently, was what worked for me, and only when fairly rigourous manual sex felt good did I then start thinking about intercourse again.

Some folks find it's helpful to see a sex therapist who uses vaginal dilators slowly over time, though if the source is psychological, I'd highly suggest pairing that with good therapy. It's great that you have a partner there to support you who you can work through this with: it isn't a death sentence... vaginismus need not be a permanent condition.

Just take it slow. Very.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68232 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rainbow brite
Neophyte
Member # 11458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rainbow brite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! I have the same problem. I just found out about it early this week, and I'm having a really stressful time dealing with it, and my boyfriend on top of it. What are good procedures to use, and does relearning to relax the muscles have to be only that or can we make it more fun and interesting? I'd like to think so, but... If you want to email me, I would like that. (Hannah at --edited--) I'd appreciate having someone to talk to about what we're going through and how to make it better!!

Note from Smurf: We ask that you do not post your email address here, for your own safety. You are, however, free to discuss this issue right here on the boards!

[This message has been edited by LilBlueSmurf (edited 01-31-2003).]

Posts: 22 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.