Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » creative emotional outlets

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: creative emotional outlets
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As some of you may already know, I journal obsessively -- largely because I've found it's an incredibly effective way for me to vent pent-up emotions and work through difficult things in my life. Keeping a journal has helped me to heal a lot, and it's been a useful tool in conjunction with therapy, too.

So what are some other creative ways y'all work through difficult times in your life? Music, art, writing? Has being able to express yourself in art or music or writing helped you express yourself to the people around you as well?

Kyth

------------------
Kythryne
Scarleteen Advocate

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform." - Alfred Kinsey

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to journal a lot too, and that REALLY helps. I also like that other people can reply, but not really know who you are. You can keep it private, yet you can get advice/support from others. I really like that part.

I listen to music to get through tough times. I just turn up some music really high and lay on the floor. I like to feel the deep music vibrating through my body. I feel much better afterwards. Sometimes I like to feel Nightmares on Wax, sometimes I like to feel Beethoven... It all depends. What matters most is that I can feel the music through the floor.

Art works for me too. Getting frustrated over a bunch of graphics eases my mind on whatever else I'm going through. I'm utterly involved in whatever it is I'm creating, so I just forget all about whatever's bothering me.

I also play music. Sometimes I feel that when things are going bad, I play better. Maybe because I have more rage flowing through my body which then flows into passion. That's definitely a good way of expressing myself.

I feel that I can communicate to people better through typing. That's why I love my journal so much. I just let it all flow, and then people can understand me better. In person, it's hard for me to express my true feelings, but on a screen... I flow like Niagra Falls.

------------------
Useless Crap

"This **** ain't over until the last record spins." Groove

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm apalling at keeping a journal, both online and in real life. When I actually bother to write in it, it ends up shallow and vacuous(sp?) because I'm not good at letting my real feelings come out.
However, although I'm not an artist in the traditional painting/drawing way, I am a crafter. When I'm a bit down, I make things. Since I have been ill, I've completely transformed my bedroom! I love to decoupage, and the combination of artiness and practical hands-on skills that it uses is perfect.
I do paint when I'm stressed, as well, but I paint things like walls and doors and furniture rather than pretty pictures, because that's just the kind of gal I am. My mum's gonna let me get my hands on the bathroom soon-wahey!

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i write alot of poems and short stories. over the years i have mainly went to just poems though because they are short and simple and i can express everything i am feeling at the time. i write stories when my problems are over and the stories are pretty much about my life in someone elses perspective. it works for me.
Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generally, when I'm feeling stressed, I write -- either poetry, short-stories, or slowly ticking away at that novel that I've had in me for two years -- and that seems to vent a great deal of my stress.

But, I also find that listening to music, especially songs with a lot of truth and/or a great deal of emotion (gee... who could possibly possess both of these qualities in their songs... hmmm... ALANIS?) really helps me.

I also used to have conversations with people in my mind when I was angry/upset/attracted/or happy with them.... that one was a huge tension reliever.... although, it was slightly disturbing. I'm sure it will be one of the numerous future therapy bills that I'll eventually have, but at the time (and still today, I ahve to admit) it really helped.

------------------
Tim (a.k.a. the dude)
-------------------------
"I am man who has grown from a son
Been crucified by enraged women
I am son who was raised by such men
I'm often reminded of the fools I'm among...
I am a man who still does what he can
to dispel our archaic reputation
I am a man who has heard all he can
Cause I don't fare well with endless punishment..." -- Alanis Morissette ("A Man")

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dude_who_writes:
I also used to have conversations with people in my mind when I was angry/upset/attracted/or happy with them.... that one was a [b]huge tension reliever.... although, it was slightly disturbing. I'm sure it will be one of the numerous future therapy bills that I'll eventually have, but at the time (and still today, I ahve to admit) it really helped.

[/B]

Me too! In fact, I still do it! I find it's amazingly theraputic, in fact.

I knit for stress relief. It's not very creative, admittedly, because I follow patterns rather than creating my own designs from scratch. However, I find the repetitive motion very relaxing, and eventually I have a finished product to show for it.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to let out my emotions by writing poetry or stories, or perhaps even adding a personal touch to schoolwork (I get along with my teachers great). I wrote an assignment on Boticelli's "Birth of Venus", about body image. I shared my own experiences and had a good vent. I was surprised when I got an A for it. It made me feel closer to my teacher. I'm really going to miss high school (today was my last day) and all the people in it.

I've been thinking of compiling a website with all my writings on it, but I am yet to find the time. Now I'm on holidays I should be able to.

Hugs & Scully,
Winnie :0)

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do write a lot myself, if I am stressed or really need to get something out. I write it on paper and then rip it all up into tiny pieces and throw it away.

If I am really bothered then I usually talk to my boyfriend. He helps a lot. He always has a way of making me feel better. He likes to try to make me smile and feel good again. Unless the problem is with him.

If the problem is with my boyfriend. I try and talk to him. I do as much as I can to make the situation better. I hate when he is mad at me, it makes me feel sick (literally) to my stomach. Usually we make up and he gives me a huggins and says (sometimes) that the whole thing was his fault, and he didn’t mean it. Sometimes we don’t communicate as well as other days. We tell each other straight up that this needs to be fixed or that needs to be fixed.

Also I try and watch my favorite TV show (when its on). I love the show Friends, so if it is ever on when I am being a little moody, I pop the show on and it makes me laugh and feel a little bit better than I did.

That’s about it.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i used to write. but now i'm uninspired for most part, and that's pretty painful for me.

a few nights ago, we had a little drama unfold, and it ended with my guy telling the other girl he wanted to stay with me and work things out between us. it was pretty stressful. he walked her to her car and she had a two hour fit of hysterics.

in that time, i was sitting in the living room with a guitar in my lap, just playing chords, until i came to a really great chord progression. it felt so good to have a really great song on my hands. all i need are lyrics. so i rocked out for a good while before eventually calling him back into the house.

yeah, we're still working through our problems. *sigh*

------------------
I bust my arse so that I can get somewhere in life, so why am I not there yet?

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigris
Neophyte
Member # 6207

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tigris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i wish i could say my emotional out let was as calm as most of yours but when i really go bickies(mad) the only way to release it is my punch bag in my room!
Its amazing the best xmas presant i was ever bought i visualize who ever or what ever is annoying me and punch sweet hell out of it!!GRRRR!! hIGHLY RECOMEND IT!

Posts: 31 | From: Ireland | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
well i wish i could say my emotional out let was as calm as most of yours but when i really go bickies(mad) the only way to release it is my punch bag in my room! Its amazing the best xmas presant i was ever bought i visualize who ever or what ever is annoying me and punch sweet hell out of it!!GRRRR!! hIGHLY RECOMEND IT!

Oooh, physical exercise is a fabulous way to work off stress!

When I was working in strip clubs, if something pissed me off, I'd ask the DJ to put on a really bitchy song (my favorite was and still is "You Oughta Know" by Alanis Morrisette) and I'd get up on stage and work out all my frustration during that song. It was great fun to stomp around in my 6-inch heels for a few minutes.

Kyth

------------------
Kythryne
Scarleteen Advocate

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform." - Alfred Kinsey

[This message has been edited by kythryne (edited 12-11-2001).]

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
la jaunty bohemian
Activist
Member # 5735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for la jaunty bohemian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While it takes a lot for me to talk to other people about my problems, I have no problems talking to myself about it!

Actually, talking to myself has helped me through a lot... not only when I'm really angry but also when I'm upset or nervous. I lie in my bed or walk around, either rehersing situations or working out a plan.

I'm also a compulsive list maker. I have a billion stacks of clean white legal pads and black ink pens to make my lists.

When I'm really upset, I'll also write little rants or record the memory or the feeling. I've found mini-essays I wrote years ago while cleaning my room, and they've helped me gain a lot of perspective.

Finally, I cry. Crying is so cathartic to me, it lets me release pent up emotions that I don't even always know where they came from. After I sob and wail and cry my eyes out and then nap, I wake up feeling really refreshed. [To facilitate the cry, I often put on really intense emotional/depressing songs by Ani diFranco.]

Posts: 105 | From: Baltimore, MD, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sh!mmeR!ng*staR
Activist
Member # 6475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sh!mmeR!ng*staR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When i get sad/depressed, usually writing in a journal helps. I have a teenopendiary, which is really nice since then other people can comment on what i've written & offer some support. If I can't get online, I just write it down in my Catwoman notebook. it really helps me vent.

Also, just writing poetry is a good release for me. I'm not that bad of a writer, & i like seeing what I come up with. Most of them are about either love or depression (sometimes both ).

Art is good sometimes too. I usually don't draw much besides anime-style girls, but sometimes just the routine of pencil on paper is calming to me. Also if I'm mad i do abstract stuff, jagged lines & all that. It helps.

Sometimes i go down into the basement and strum on my dad's guitar for a while, too. I don't really "play", but it's just to relieve stress.

Listening to music always helps. What I do is i turn my Walkman or stereo up REALLY loud, close the door to my room, and just headbang or cry to whatever I'm listening to. My "sad" groups/singers are: Jewel, All Saints, Tonic, No Doubt (the slower songs), and Fiona Apple. My "angry" ones are: Linkin Park, Fiona Apple, and the Ataris. Weezer's "Pinkerton" is also a VERY good emotional venting CD; it's got both sad and angry rock songs.

------------------
Prosperity that
the golden Muses
gave me was no
delusion: dead, I
won't be forgotten
-Sappho

Posts: 97 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tasha
Activist
Member # 6784

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love to journal, I think it's really relaxing. I keep different notebooks for different types of writing...one for venting, one for stories, one for random thoughts...

Drawing is good, too. i love to draw people and fashions, and if what i draw turns out great, it cheers me up, and if it doesn't turn out nice, well, stratching it out or coloring over it can be theraputic, too

Sometimes i'll go to the gym.

Oh yeah--one more thing--my newest tension/stress-reliever is haiku...it's great fun! I start out writing serious haikus about what's bothering me, and soon they turn into silly poems that just make me giggle

------------------
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

share your opinion: http://www.geocities.com/tkaterisha/survey.html

Posts: 68 | From: Brooklyn, NY (Ev,IL right now tho) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

I just found a really excellent book for people who use or want to use writing as an emotional outlet. It's called Writing as a Way of Healing: How Telling Our Stories Transforms Our Lives, by Louise DeSalvo. If you're interested in journaling or other forms of writing about traumatic or unsettling experiences, I highly reccommend reading it.

Kyth

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Advocate

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform."
-- Alfred Kinsey

TeddyBear17
Neophyte
Member # 6976

Icon 7 posted      Profile for TeddyBear17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I'm mad or upset, I either go to my room and sit on my bed and cry...or i go into my bathroom, turn the lights out and cry. Crying tends to help me a lot. I don't do it a lot though. If I just need to relax, i take a bubble bath with the lights out and only a few candles lit, it's really nice. I, like so many other people, like to write in my journal. I don't do it quite as often as I'd like to, but it's still helpful. And other times, I like to flip through magazines, look for words that describe the mood I am in, cut them out and tape them on my wall. I can look at my wall and remember times when i wa upset or depressed and made it through those times, or when i was happy and know that i'll be happy again eventually.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IWannaBeAGwenABe
Neophyte
Member # 6887

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IWannaBeAGwenABe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
~Im another journal lover. When I write I feel like I can say anything and not have to worry about anyones reactions. I love being able to write everything I am thinking down.

~When I get really upset I take out picture albums and look at some of the times where I was truly happy to remind myself that there is a bright side to things. It helps me get over the bad thoughts I am thinking.

Posts: 18 | From: Tonawanda, NY | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was a pretty nifty thread that could stand to be revived.

I personally like to knit when I get stressed out. It's pretty flexible in that I can either focus solely on knitting if I need a break or I can both knit and try to figure things out, depending on what seems best at the time.

Weather permitting, physical activities like skiing and kayaking are great. There's just something about getting out and moving to remind me of how capable I really am.

Sometimes though, what I really want is pure escapism. During those times, video games are my answer. It's hard to remember what's upsetting me when I'm busy bombing Monstrous Kaliri eggs.

--------------------
“I would have girls regard themselves not as adjectives but as nouns.” --Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chickenfeet
Neophyte
Member # 35563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chickenfeet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i'm really upset and have no access to people that i know would help me feel better, i usually sit in some place alone. and i would try to go to sleep or cry. i hate crying though because i feel like its a sign of weakness for me.

i try blasting some music too or go take a walk.

Posts: 22 | From: Newark | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Revive! Because I think this is a great thread!

I agree with Jill about the video games. When I'm upset, there's nothing better than Resident Evil 4, or Link's Crossbow Training. There's just something about being so concentrated on hitting the target (whether it be a cute red and white bullseye, or the head of an infected villager) that really calms me down.

As well, I've been playing guitar for about 3-4 years now, and piano for most of my life (self taught both). Sometimes just belting out a song while I play it on guitar or piano is so stress relieving. Especially if the lyrics are very meaningful. Fiona Apple songs tend to do the trick.

Lastly, I love a good relaxing bath. I sing while the bath fills up, grab a Stephen King novel and read for half an hour or so while my worries just melt away. Afterwards I take a cold shower to wake up my senses. It helps to clear my head so that I can face my problems logically.

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Koi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I don't know how "creative" this is, but I talk to my little sister on the phone (I go to college far away from home). Perhaps not about my problems, but listening to HER problems and giving HER advice makes me feel like I'm doing good, which makes me feel better and calms me down. Because I have to be the rational, helpful, big sister, after I hang up and think about my own issues, I'm no longer hyperventilating about the test tomorrow or my science project that seemed like a monstrousity of an issue an hour ago: instead, everything goes into perspective and I remember the important things like my family, friends, trying my hardest and all that cliche stuff that we talk about but don't really apply to everyday life because we forget when we're in the moment.

Heather also had the great idea of volunteering, which kind of follows my vein of thought of helping other people-

quote:
Serenity: one thing I know has always been good for mine is doing what I can to help others, particularly out of trouble-spots I've been in myself. Do you do any volunteering?

--------------------
"Love is the answer, but while you are waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions."

Posts: 171 | From: USA/CHINA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Freya137
Neophyte
Member # 39628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freya137     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i write poetry and also draw-i am an aapauling artsist haha but sitting down with a blank piece of paper and lots o colours helps evn if i just tear it up once im done

as for journal a teacher once gave me teh brilliant idea. If you keep a journal every day make sure you always write 5 times in teh day you were happy. I did this when i was going thru a tough faily time as my grandad was in hospital and spending soem time each night dwelling on teh good stuf-little things liek my riend bought me a cup iof tea and stuff -really helps you stay positive

Posts: 36 | From: Warrington , England | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.