Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Break out the popcorn ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Break out the popcorn ...
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's time for the smurfette movie of the year awards!!!!

No ... not really. But this thread does have to do w/ movies. Honest.

I was sitting in English today watching the movie "Tess of the d'urbervilles" and it got the the part where Alec steals Tess' virginity from her. Now, in these times, we call this rape. That word didn't come out of anyone ... It was just seen as the way things happened. Why? It really struck a nerve w/ me. I don't know why ... maybe b/c I have a past of sexual assault(s) and I don't believe it's "Gods way" and i don't believe it's just the way men are. I don't buy it.

What movies get you hoppin' mad over important issues to you? Do you avoid them, or watch them more b/c of it?

Two other movies that really struck a nerve w/ me were "28 Days" and "Girl Interupted". I cried for days after watching the latter, but the last time i saw "28 Days" i was alright, i think. I only cried a wee bit ...

What movie really relates to you? Does it help knowing that you're not alone w/ these "bad" feelings? Has anyone ever had a mini breakdown like i did and cry non stop for a few days ... over some fictional character w/ a fictional problem? Wow ... I feel so silly for that now ...

------------------
"Did you know ... you can have intercourse on Saturday and get pregnant on Monday?? Don't know how? ASK!"

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No movies for me, but I've got a TV show (and I figure that for the purposes of this thread, TV and movies (and books, even) aren't terribly different).

The recent storyline on ER with Abby's mother got to me at times. My mother isn't bipolar, but she hasn't been a mother to me in years, and my relationship with her is so broken that I don't think I can fix it (and I don't think I want to). I don't even regard her as my mother anymore; in my mind, my mom died years ago, and now there's an upsetting stranger in her place.

Most of the storyline didn't bother me, but the scene where Abby made up with her mom did, because I'm pretty sure that something like that isn't going to ever happen to me. I was sad for the rest of the evening.

Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too had a very strong reaction to Girl, Interrupted. I saw it when it first came out, and then I saw it a month ago after having had a three week stay in a mental hospital. Now when I tell someone about my hospitalization and they want to know what it's like I say, "Girl,Interrupted. But no smoking, no therapy, co-ed, much less pleasant, no one stayed for more than a month, and we were only allowed to watch cartoons."

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

[This message has been edited by PoetgirlNY (edited 05-18-2001).]

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yours was better than mine. ALL the patients (except me) smoked like chimneys and I'm allergic to tobacco. We had more choice in TV but all everybody wanted to watch was WWF. After you've seen one fake WWF match, you've seen them all.

------------------
The most exciting phrase in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" ("I found it!") but rather "Hmmm... that's funny...."

- Isaac Asimov

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I really did have the best stay out of everyone ...

We had special times we could smoke ... Early in the morning and late at nite. If you were lucky, you got one in b/w that. But there was no smoking in the hospital. And you were only allowed out if you had passed the 48hr evaluation somewhat. The doctor had to give you permission to leave the floor unattended ... incase you decided to run.

As for TV, my floor was pretty much run by older women ... LOL Everyday it was talk shows in the morning, the news, I love lucy, and then soap operas all afternoon. I loved it ...

------------------
"Did you know ... you can have intercourse on Saturday and get pregnant on Monday?? Don't know how? ASK!"

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.