Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » friend in need

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: friend in need
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other day, I got to think that I’m sometimes quite clueless as to what I can do to show a friend in need my support, no matter for what reason.

I know (and for me personally) it’s the little things that help, that mean most, a simple note, making a cup of coffee that wasn’t asked for, calling unexpectedly or doing errands…

But being this fab community with so many creative members, maybe some of you have some other fab ideas? What would you like others to do for you in times of need? What are things you have done for friends that were greatly appreciated?

Would be lovely to hear your thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just listen really.

I have learnt that there is nothing my friends appreciate more than just having someone listen.

Of course I am very good at anticipating my friends' needs and I am very sensitive when it comes to how they feel. I can sense when their moods shift even through a message on the handphone and if they are upset I drop all to be by their side.

I think the greatest thing I have done for my friends was just being there for them. And I think they appreciate it. They better.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
edit

[This message has been edited by BruinDan (edited 09-26-2002).]

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was sick my friend brought me soup and some muffins and left a little get well note on my kitchen table. It was so sweet I nearly cried.

Other simple gestures from a friend that can mean so much are REALLY listening to what they have to say, taking interest in the things they enjoy...taking time out to go watch their game, or read the article they wrote for the paper, supporting them with their dreams, and just being someone that can lend a shoulder to cry on.

Because, as they say, "to have a friend you must be a friend"

------------------
You should make amends with you if only for better health. But if you really want to live, why not try and Make Yourself?

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if i'm in real trouble, i want someone to check up on me even when i tell them to leave me alone. leaving me alone when i'm very upset can be dangerous.

otherwise, i can always use a good distraction or diversion to keep my mind off whatever is bothering me.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
italienprincess
Activist
Member # 3087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for italienprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im pretty clueless too..

most of the time though, its a little on going joke, i sing.

i just put her arm on my shoulder and sing 'you are my sunshine' or 'lean on me'

if ne thing, it gives them a laugh, and provides them with a new problem, SHUTTING ME UP! hee hee hee

Posts: 130 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.