Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » making the choice to put your pet down

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: making the choice to put your pet down
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*bleh* I've been put in a terrible position.. my mother called me about an hour ago to tell me that she thinks it's a good idea ot put my cat to sleep.

I got Dubh (pronounced 'doo' - Scottish for black) as a kitten when I was 5, so I've had her for over 14 years. She's old, but not that old, it's just that she's having trouble eating now, she's constipated and wee's on my mothers carpet. My mother say's it's unlikely that she'll last through winter here.

She asked my permission to have her put down, since she's my cat.. and I suppose it's the right thing to do..

I'm just teriibly sad right now because her life is in my hands.. I can choose to have her put to sleep, or I can foot the $400 vets bill to try (it's only a possibility that it will work) and make her more comfortable for her last wee while.

I've decided that I don't want to see her before she goes.. I had to look my puppy right in the eyes before she got euthanized, and I couldn't bear it.

Just me ranting really, I'm a bit torn up right now..

entropie

------------------
Scarleteen Advocate, not to be confused with Advocaat

I have yet to meet a C compiler that is more friendly and easier to use than eating soup with a knife.

The three most dangerous things are a programmer with a soldering iron, a manager who codes, and a user who gets ideas.

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, entropie. I'm sorry you have to put your cat down, but it sounds like a good decision. It would be better for Dubh to not be in so much pain. And I'm sure she had a great life. I had to have my rat put down last year, and it was really tough, but it was the right thing to do. She was in a lot of pain. I wish you well during the process. I know it'll be hard, but it's for the best.
Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry entropie. I hate having any pet die. When our hot dog dog died last year, I couldn't see him either. I spent all night with him before he died, but in the morning, I couldn't go near him without going into hysterics.

It's a good decision to out her down before she's in real pain. Unless the vet can give a year or more left to live, it's not worth it-the pain of treatment, all the money, and if you're away, you won't be there to enjoy the rest of her life.

I'm sure Dubh would thank you if she could talk . Good luck, we're all here for you.

------------------
Bad Cats!!

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly sweetie, I think you're doing the right thing.

My family had to put our toy poodle (Duffy) down after he had cancer in his tummy. He was pooping out blood all the time and we really didn't have the money to pay for all his treatments that he would need ... and it's not 100% effective anyway. He was 15 years old at the time ... Doggy heaven was calling.

I was really close to my doggy, even tho i only had him for a few years. I see animals as people. I honestly know what you're going through sweetie, but you have to know that what you're doing is right.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, i have a friend, alex, who used to have a cat named crystal. alex had had crystal since she was a little girl, but when we were in like 7th grade crystal got breast cancer. alex's family decided to try to treat the cancer, not to put crystal to sleep. i always thought that was sort of a selfish decision. crystal lived for 4 more years, but she was always having chemotherapy and surgery - constant surgery, and she was always shaved. she wasn't the same. you could tell she felt like shite.

my boyfriend's cat midnight got cancer last summer. ben had had the cat since he was little, too, but his family doesn't have a lot of money, and midnight was obviously in a lot of pain so they decided to put him to sleep. it was really sad, and i know ben felt terrible about it.

i took pictures of the two of them together the night before, and it was just the saddest thing, but at the same time it was the right thing to do, you know? midnight was in pain. he wasn't going to get better. treating him would cause pain and be expensive.

i know your cat doesn't have cancer, but still, it might be the right thing to do if he is in pain.

em

------------------
Love is a word that is constantly heard
Hate is a word that is not.
Love, I am told, is more precious than gold.
Love, I have read, is hot.
But hate is the verb that to me is superb,
And love but a drug on the mart.
Any kiddie in school can love like a fool,
But hating, my boy, is an art.
-Ogden Nash

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinkletoze
Neophyte
Member # 2811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twinkletoze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi entropie
i just want to say how sorry i am and i know hwo you feel.
and i think you know that what you are doing is the right thing its just that you feel guilty and hurt and all torn up inside which is obviously to be expected.

when my vet told me i had to put Pumba to sleep or else we cud let her live for 2 months more max with Pumba in perpetual pain...i wasnt sure what to do.
i cudnt bear the thoguht of killing my dog..and no fancy name for it was goign to make me feel better.

but wehn i looked at her eyes whcih were so soft and brown and trusting as usual(dont all animals have beautiful eeys?)i cudnt let her suffer.
and i did what had to be done

cheer up sweetie...its for the best..it really is

------------------
smile
its the second best thing u can do with your lips

[This message has been edited by twinkletoze (edited 03-04-2001).]

Posts: 29 | From: somehwere in the caribbean..arent u jealous?:) | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your support guys... I know it's the right thing to do..
I still don't think I can spend time with her though. I just want to remember her how she was the last time I saw her (she lives with my mother) before she got sick..

entropie

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was asked to contribute to a similar decision regarding my dog a couple of years ago. I'd had him since I was 2 1/2 and he was 1/2 a year old so needless to say he was a huge part of my life. He was in a lot of pain and the quality of his life was nil. I spent a lot of time thinking about it and with my parents decided that it would be better to put him to sleep.

We'd had to put down one of my cats before and I couldn't go with her, but I decided that for my dog I would go to the vets with him. That day, I spent a long time just stroking him and remembering my life with him. When we took him to the vets I couldn't stop crying every now and then. It really was the most peaceful thing though. He just slipped into what seemed like the most peaceful sleep he'd had in years. It was like when he was a puppy and was just passed out.

It was a really hard decision and really hard to go with him, but I'm glad I did. If I was in that much pain, that's how I'd like to die - surrounded by my loved ones, just slipping away to sleep painlessly. If you think about it, it ends the pain forever.

I'm sending good thoughts to you, because it's a really hard thing to lose such a part of your life.

Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
y'know, i really hate when people try and say that losing a pet isn't as bad as a human being. Well, I must tell you that ever since I was small I always seem to connect much better to the four-legged. It's a very hard decision when it comes to putting down a pet, but then there's also a point where it is in the best interest for the animal.

When I was very young my mom had a German Shepard named Dutchess. She got very sick and couldn't keep down any food. My parents shelled out oh-so-much money to try and help her, but unfortunatley she just got worse and worse. Finally, they decided to put her down. It was a hard decision, but it was better than watching her suffer in pain.

I hope everything works out sweetie

------------------
You should make amends with you if only for better health. But if you really want to live, why not try and Make Yourself?

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are doing the right thing I am glad you are getting emotional over it I hate it when people just view their pets like possessions. My favourite hamster who I bred myself (didn't give birth to obv) broke his back last night and died. I have never been so upset and I spent all last night crying. I know it's only a hamster but he did mean something to me and he was in so much pain I wanted to take him to the vet to have him put down but there aren't any vets on a Sunday night and he died during the night. You could come round and have a sobbing session with me if you wanted except it would be impossible but I hope you feel better soon.
Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is a really sad topic. i have tears running down my face as i read the post. i have never had to put any of my animals to sleep yet but i know how it feels to lose them. i have 3 dogs and 2 cats right now and i dont know t\what i would do if they werent here waiting for me when i leave. my dog midnight is 10 1/2 years old and i know that when she dies i am going to have real problems. we grew up together. i really feel for you entropie. you are doing the best thing, she doesnt need to be in pain any longer.

------------------
frozendream1026@aol.com

http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/koger

Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*big hugs* sweetie.

That absolutely sucks. My dog died last year. He was knocked down by a truck and it was heart wrenching. Yes, totally different scenario. But I understand the pain you are going through and I wish I could say something to make you feel better.

But I know little will help. But I think Dubh will be thankful towards you and you had 14 years with her. I barely had mine for a year before my pup was taken away.

Sending lots of positive energy your way. *hugs*

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm crying too -- and sort of laughing, sick as that may sound. November 98, we finally decided to get our big, old, irritable, and incredibly wonderful cat put down when we realised he just wasn't living comfortably anymore. My parents got him when my mum was pregnant with me, so I'd been pretty close to him even before birth, but he was extremely arthritic and in even worse temper than usual, and we decided that, even though we have a younger cat who adored him, it was the right choice. And I chose not to be there, too. So, the day before, when we were all getting pretty upset anyway, my grandfather, someone else I'd really loved, died, after a mercifully short bout of bone cancer. Holy horrible timing! I think I spent the next few days sort of huddled and weeping and listening to Sgt. Pepper (no, I don't know why that record. I guess it made sense at the time). Even at the time, I saw some humour in the situation, which I guess was a good thing, because I thrive on irreverence. And if it counts for anything, not too long afterwards we took in another cat, a little guy who'd basically been left to freeze or starve or godknowswhat (what do you expect when you dump a rather trusting domestic cat there in late fall? At least he survived until December, when we got him!) at a campground, and he and my other cat really love each other and get along wonderfully. Good luck, babe!
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Aw guys, you're so good to me So much support..

I called my mother this morning to ask her how she's doing, and from the sounds of things she's a wee bit better than yesterday (i.e she's eating now).. so she's thinking about holding off for another couple of weeks (depending on how things go..).

An in trying to find the upside to make the most of a bad situation, it's bringing my mother and brother back together, since they haven't talked in months. He's decided to bury the hatchet in light of kitty's sickness.

I'm trying not to think about it at the moment.. since crying at work isn't such a good look when customers walk in the door; I'm just trying to focus on the circle of life thing

I'll let you guys know what's happening..

entropie

Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck entropie, I took it really bad when my mom decided to put our cat down. I don't blame you for not wanting to see your cat before she dies. I didn't see my cat in hospital at all, and I'm glad. She was older than I was, and I thought of her as a sister (I'm an only child). I don't know if this will help you, but I found it comforting to hug and carry around a toy cat! hee hee
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Just thought I'd let you guys know that she got put down at 9 this morning

I wasn't able (physically or emotionally) to be there with her, but my mother said that she slipped away peacefully.

I'm a wee bit choked up now. This is on top of finding out that my boyf. won't be back (he's away on business 400 km's away) for another 2 weeks.

entropie

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aww i'm so sorry sweetie *hugs*

Things will get better. They always do ... Remember to take some "me" time. Read a book, have a bubble bath, watch a good (sappy hehe) movie, paint your toenails ... Whatever makes you happy!!

Feel free to find me on icq anytime you need to talk ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Thanks Smurfie.. I'll do the toenail painting tonight..
I'm off to spend some quality $$ on me, and try to cheer myself up with physical possessions..

entropie

Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs* hon.

Yes, the physical posession thing always helps.

I'm sorry this had to happen. It absolutely sucks. But as Smurfie said, things will get better. *more hugs*

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs* Physical possessions and music and ice cream...

The biggest downside to having a flock of chickens as pets is that chickens just don't live that long. This morning, I don't even want to think of how many furred and feathered babies have died in my arms. But it does get easier when the time's right. We've got good memories though. Sometimes I think they visit me in my dreams...

*more hugs*

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*ShellerBabe*
Activist
Member # 252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *ShellerBabe*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
:*( hugs to you.. I feel for you. I had to put my cat Milo [RIP baby] down cuz he got bitten by some animal, which the vet figured was a raccoon or whatever. He kept going back to the vet but the medicine didnt seem to be working, it was too deep. He had a huge hole in his side :*(*** they decided the best thing was for him to be put to sleep, and ill never forget how much i cried but also how he slept in my room the night before in pain, and i told him i will always love him and i was crying, and he licked my "tickle me elmo" and it still has the stain on it from him... :*( the sad thing was i didnt kno he was to be put to sleep till my mom came home that day after his visit, and told me the bad news. (I also remember seeing the white box in the car w/him IN it..i couldnt stop crying)

hes buried in my backyard resting peacefully.
RIP Milo, RIP Cocoa (my friends dog who died last night)

Posts: 117 | From: America..~*hehe*~ | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.