Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Getting over the blues

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting over the blues
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently got over a bad case of clinical depression, and I'm seeing a therapist, but sometimes I still feel a bit sad. I know everyone feels sad at some point or another, and I was just wondering what you guys do to help you when you're feeling that way. I know that reading a book helps me sometimes, but I just wanted to ask some other people for ideas on getting over the blues. I hope the responses with help other people who feel down sometimes,too
Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XxFIFxX
Activist
Member # 2109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XxFIFxX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I listen to music that relates to what I'm feeling, that usually helps. Everclear, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Leah Andreone, Tori Amos... those usually help if I'm like really depressed. If I am in a funk, I listen to: Five Iron Frenzy (my SN sake!), Reel Big Fish, CIV, this old No Doubt CD in my player now... stuff like that. That makes me HAPPY

------------------
*I wish I didn't care, but I do*

Posts: 62 | From: Los Angeles, CA USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two things that often help me feel better --
getting outside for a walk, and doing something to help out someone else who could use a helping hand. I often combine the two, actually, by taking a friend's dog for a walk when he would otherwise get stuck inside during the day while my friend is at work. Getting some exercise and a little sunlight helps a lot, and playing with a dog is always fun -- and both the dog and the friend appreciate it, which makes me feel good.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading helps. Coming onto scarleteen helps alot.

Playing with my dog really cheers me up coz he is such a happy pup.

Other than that, I cry. And after that I feel alot better.

Oh and writing. Writing my feelings down really makes me feel more optimistic.

And how could I forget.

Chocolate

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to hear that you're seeing a therapist for your depression, Mary. I know it's not easy to get back up on your feet again after depression.

What helps me when I get a small bit of blues is getting exercise, going outside and spoiling myself....a day at a spa bath is lovely....lying in the warm water or sitting in the Sauna really helps me. I also found writing in a diary very helpful (to sort thougths). Being active and doing *something* or *anything* usually works for me, because what I hated about my depression was the fact that I basically couldn't do anything and didn't feel the energy to tackle everyday things.

Maybe volunteering for a good cause will help you long term, too, because it helps you to focus on the important things in life.

Hope you're doing okay, Mary.

Lots of Love,
Alaska

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.
Go inside Alaska's head...

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i am depressed, i throw away all the alcohol. drinking alone and while depressed is a dangerous combination.

i go out. i distract myself. i bury myself in my work. i study relentlessly (at least a good grade on something will cheer me up).

i write. poetry. prose. prattle.

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treehuggin_Hippeeechick*~
Activist
Member # 1476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Treehuggin_Hippeeechick*~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i keep a looooooooong list of everything in the world that makes me feel happy, like memories, ppl, song lyrics and stuff...it's like pages long. then when i feel crappy i have agood cry and then put some happy music on and read my list of happeee thoughts and i always feel better cause it helps me remember all the good things in my life, and that it isn't all bad. but i reccomend crying cause i feel it's a physical way of washing away pain - like the tears are washing away all the bad stuff. that may sound kinda dumb but it works for me

------------------
~*smiles are kisses for the soul*~ ;)

Posts: 50 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you guys so much for your help I'm going to try some of the things you suggested like, just crying it out and getting some exercise.... Helping other people (because that always makes me feel better). I'm also going to start writing in my journal more to sort things out. Take care, all!
Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I'm feeling a little down I try to go outside. Sunlight is nature's happy drug. Also, do something nice for yourself. I usually go and get a new shade of nailpolish or try a new flavor of ice cream. Sometimes just a change will change things. Also, number one depression buster song of all time: Better Things by Dar Williams. The whole song is just about how everything will get better and be happy. It's great. It's on her CD End Of The Summer.

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I'm feeling a little down I try to go outside. Sunlight is nature's happy drug. Also, do something nice for yourself. I usually go and get a new shade of nailpolish or try a new flavor of ice cream. Sometimes just a change will change things. Also, number one depression buster song of all time: Better Things by Dar Williams. The whole song is just about how everything will get better and be happy. It's great. It's on her CD End Of The Summer.

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Poetgirl, I'll have to get tha cd! Thanks for the suggestion And sunlight does sound good... I think I'll go get some of that, too. I hope it doesn't cost too much, gee...
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, you know what I do when I get depressed? I have a few things I do:

1. Write poetry (it helps vent my anger/hurt/sadness)

2. Like Fif said, listen to music that relates to my the problem.

3. Go for a walk to the park by my house and sit quietly alone, thinking out my problem.

4. TALK TO SOMEONE! A friend or a parent maybe, but I usually go to the school counselor.

Doing artistic things always help me. Sometimes if I'm really down I also like to make a list of all the good things in life, so I can get happy again.*

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hooray for Dar Williams! I love just about everything I've heard of hers. Haven't got the latest album yet, but I'll have to get it soon as she'll be in my neck of the woods next month. She does a great live concert.

Back to the topic, I find just getting around other people is a great gloom-buster. This is tough for me because my natural instinct while gloomy is to be reclusive, but once I force myself to call up some friends and go out it always helps.

------------------
And I've got no illusions about you.
Guess what? I never did.
When I said, when I said, "I'll take it."
I meant, I meant As Is.
--Ani DiFranco, "As Is"

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.