Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » I am so scared

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I am so scared
JB
Activist
Member # 36720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got the notice today that the House of Reps. has voted in favor of cutting federal funding to Planned Parenthood.

I'm currently sitting here, attempting not to burst into tears and crawl into bed and never get out. I'm scared and I don't know what to do. I'm scared because I feel like there's a personal war being waged against me, against everyone who wants any type of cheap yet informative and thorough sexual health care. I'm scared and I'm hopeless and I don't know what to do. I feel like it's not ok to be a woman in the U.S. anymore, I feel like we're going back in time after so much hard work that has been done to bring us forward.

I know the whole spending bill has to be voted on now, and it still has to go through the Senate, but I'm so scared and I'm so hopeless and I just wanted to come to Scarleteen to see if anyone could offer any words of hope or wisdom or expand upon this a little more. I'm kind of still in shock and haven't investigated anymore about it.

I just feel like I can't turn anywhere else right now. I hope more than anything this doesn't go through, that it somehow gets stopped. I just feel like once it goes, once they cut it, it'll never come back. That'll be the end. And it can only go downhill from there.

I feel like, what's the point? What's the point of staying here? What's the point of trying to uphold ANY American value when I feel like half the population is just getting kicked in the face over and over and over again.

I'm sorry this is such a dismal post. I just...I needed to come somewhere where others would understand my distress. I understand completely if you want to lock/delete this after responding. Thank you so much in advance for your responses.

-JB

Posts: 186 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know they had.
I am so sorry. I don't even know what I can say to this, except that I am so sorry.
I know I stay here because it's sort of reassuring to realize that more and more people are getting this information, and to realize that within my lifetime those same people will be in government jobs and hopefully do better than the ones we have in there now. And I keep a little optimism because I can come on here and one of my other sites and see comments from the most amazing people I've never really met.

And on this topic, I'm pretty sure this is the reason the government is coming very close to shutting down-I read an article that the author said it was either about abortion or balancing the budget, so that seems like it's about this. Which means an indefinite stall on the bill being passed, I think?

Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JB
Activist
Member # 36720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if they can't agree on the budget, the government will indeed shut down until they can get some sort of agreement.

I just...I can't believe THIS is where they want to take the money from. It's infuriating.

But you're right. There are people on here, who use this site, who gain the knowledge it has to offer, who will be our next Congressmen and women. And that is immensely satisfying and reassuring to know.

Posts: 186 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JB
Activist
Member # 36720

They spared Planned Parenthood! Congress reached an agreement! It's not getting cut! Oh happiest of happy days! Hooray!!!!!!
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They did?
Oh thank goodness!!!

Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You beat me to it: I was just about to some and post this here for you, JB. The Senate did just reject CR 36, even if it wasn't by enough votes as I'd have liked to see.

I also keep meaning to come into this thread and talk a little about what you brought up, because I agree, it IS scary, it IS upsetting, and let's be real: there is a war on women in this country and in much of the world.

You know, I've been actively doing feminist work as an adult for the whole time I've been one, which is more than 20 years now. And I've been working in sexuality and reproductive health and rights full-time for going on 13 years. I've seen and been part of a lot of good things that have happened, but have also witnessed a lot that has ripped my heart out and, at times, made me feel like whatever I or others did didn't matter or couldn't help.

And there are SO many times I have felt so scared, so angry, so powerless and a lot like you've been feeling. the second time Bush got elected I was so depressed I literally did not get out of bed for three days, which is so not like me at all.

But my answer to dealing with all of this, one I'd strongly encourage ALL of you to answer with to, is to take action and keep taking action. You don't have to do any of this as a full-time job to do that, you just have to make some time to get involved with or forge actions to fight this kind of stuff. And you CAN do it. Not only can you, as young people, especially those of you who are able-bodied, we really, really need you to. Those feelings you are having are powerful feelings that can help you do powerful things.

I find it helps to remember all of my forbears who have felt like this, who took action, and who DID change things. I think about some of the things some of them went through -- terrible, hard, horrible things -- in order to keep fighting for all of us. I mean, if people like Alice Paul didn't give up, I have a very hard time justifying why it'd be okay for me to, when no one has me in a cell, no one is torturing me physically over my actions, no one is force-feeding me or throwing things at me today.

You're right, sometimes steps forward get trampled on and rolled back, but so long as we keep pushing the momentum forward, it's a lot harder for people to do that. And if we don't, it's less like others rolling things back and more like us just rolling over, you know?

So, if any of you ever want any kind of direction or help about how to get involved beyond the kinds of things we post here and on our FB and Twitter feed, please give me a holler. I'm always happy to do whatever I can do to help you get involved and stay involved.

[ 04-14-2011, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67996 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! Fantastic News that they didn't cut the funding, so happy for you guys! [Big Grin]

[ 04-15-2011, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: RaeRay2112 ]

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JB
Activist
Member # 36720

Heather, my apologies for not getting back to this thread sooner, but thank you so, so much for your post. Even though some time has passed, it's nice to know that even the toughest activists still get a little discouraged. But they can bounce back from it.

Your words are uplifting and I know I'll be visiting this thread again next time things seem gloomy...as a pick me up!

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to be of help.

But one other thing I'd like to do is to really, really encourage you to get involved with activism around these things you care about if you aren't already. It can be easier to get involved when things aren't in a moment of crisis, and then be ready to get proactive when they are.

If you're interested, again, I'd be happy to fill you in on some groups/organizations you could get involved with!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67996 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.