Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » what did you learn about rape?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what did you learn about rape?
May Day
Activist
Member # 39174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for May Day     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[trigger warning]

What were you formally taught about rape, and where did you learn it? Who have you spoken to about rape? Did your parents ever talk to you about rape? Was the topic part of any formal sex education you got in school? Have you ever attended or instructed a seminar on rape? Was it compulsory or voluntary?

Men: Have you ever participated in a spontaneous conversation among men about rape? Do you know male survivors? Do you know men who have admitted to sexual assault and/or harassment?

Rape culture drums into women that they are responsible for men's behaviour: girls don't wear this, don't wear your hair like that, don't walk alone, don't walk at night, etc. All these things which fundermentally hold women responsible if they are sexually assaulted or experience violence.
'No means no' shouldn't mean "women speak up if you're uncomfortable", it should mean "just don't that! it's unacceptable".
In my eyes, unless hundreds of women daily are recklessly irresponsible, the only similarity their share is having the misfortune of being in the same place as a rapist.

Posts: 172 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Just FYI, I see this, but given my generational differences, I'm staying moot for now b/c my guess is my experiences may be radically different than most of our users have been.

But if you want that input, too, just holler and I'm glad to give it.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68012 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treetops
Activist
Member # 44381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treetops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking about this, I can't remember ever having any kind of information given in school about rape and sexual assault. I'm pretty sure we were given general advice along the lines of 'don't go into dark alleyways, always watch your drink so no-one can spike it' and so on, but nothing more. Mind you, at my school the non-traditional-subject education (sex education, information about how to deal with finances, info about drugs and so on) was pretty much non-existent.

I don't think my parents ever talked to me about it either, beyond those same 'how to be safe'-type messages, which, while good general advice, always focus on the idea of 'avoiding being raped', as if that were in your control.

I'd really love it if in schools people were taught about bodily integrity and their right to be safe *without* all this emphasis on 'what you should do to avoid being raped'. An exploration of why we have such a rape culture would also probably make young people think about it a lot more.

When I clicked through to this article http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2009/12/15/10_surefire_ways_to_prevent_sexual_assault
even though I've read things like it before, it actually made me do a bit of a double-take that it was not focussing on 'how to avoid being raped'. It's just so unusual to see.
Apart from on sites like this (and at feminist events/spaces), I have never seen or heard any discussion of rape which doesn't somewhere involve 'don't go down dark alleys. don't do this or that.' In non-feminist spaces, it always seems to come back to that.

Posts: 161 | From: europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
May Day
Activist
Member # 39174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for May Day     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Heather, you're welcome to contribute:)

Treetops, from what i've read, your experiences are the norm. I told my gfs the other day about how i've been thinking about these topics and they were surprised at the realisation that yea, education about rapes holds women responsible and very little emphasis is placed on men and their actions.

Also i agree this this here so hard: "I'd really love it if in schools people were taught about bodily integrity and their right to be safe *without* all this emphasis on 'what you should do to avoid being raped'. An exploration of why we have such a rape culture would also probably make young people think about it a lot more."

Posts: 172 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with treetops, any kind of education we really seemed to get is the "how to avoid being raped" thing which is just... pretty dumb. I don't even remember them saying a word about rape or sexual assault in any formal lessons, despite other areas of sex ed being pretty freaking good and open-minded.

I think it would have a real impact if they started teaching about rape culture, the real details of what consent looks like, more than just the "no means no", in the school curriculum at the same time they started teaching other sex ed stuff. I think if they started doing that, next generations will begin to shake off the rape culture and maybe we'd start to see some real progress.

Posts: 1304 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.