Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » I am a feminist because... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I am a feminist because...
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just so's you know, feminism IS about believing that all people should be treated equally.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a feminist because I fundamentally believe that for the world to be a better place for people of all genders, then men and women must be held to be of equal value.
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ste-Funnie
Activist
Member # 50934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ste-Funnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a feminist, even if I were a man because...

a. Girls are no different than men just because they don't have a penis! Or should I say that they are obviously guys! Just without penises!

b. Women are human beings and just a different gender!

c. The strong shall NEVER hurt the weak!

--------------------
~Stephanie Gabriella Murray
I'm very gay for being a lesbian, and not gay to be what I'm not

Posts: 251 | From: Long Island | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ste-Funnie:
I'm a feminist, even if I were a man because...

a. Girls are no different than men just because they don't have a penis! Or should I say that they are obviously guys! Just without penises

I am super confused about what you meant by that. "Girls... are obviously guys! Just without penises."

Anyway, to answer the original question... I am a feminist because I believe in equality, and I believe in freedom, and I believe in learning from the past and teaching the future. I believe that my feminist foreparents, the brave people who set down this foundation of activism, did me a great service, and it is my job to keep building up those structures that empower, educate, and push boundaries so that those who come after me have an even more broad and solid structure to stand on and work from.

There is a FABULOUS quote by Si Kahn:

The more I study history
the more I seem to find
that in every generation
there are times
just like that time
when folks like you and me
who thought that we were all alone
within this honored movement
found a home

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CoatRack:
I believe that my feminist foreparents, the brave people who set down this foundation of activism, did me a great service, and it is my job to keep building up those structures that empower, educate, and push boundaries so that those who come after me have an even more broad and solid structure to stand on and work from.

I really like this way of thinking too, Coatrack [Smile] . For example, each election, I am reminded of the hundreds and thousands of women who marched and were trampled and mobbed so that I would have the right to vote today. For that reason, I will always vote and I will always work towards improving womens rights until we are actually equal.

[ 01-02-2011, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: eryn_smiles ]

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the greatest gifts I have been given is the ability to talk to the elders in my various communities about their lives. To learn from them and to be able to thank them with my words and my actions. To let them know that their work will not be forgotten, and that what they did matters, just as what I am doing matters. Every generation, every person, who does something matters, because then nobody is starting from square 1. Sometimes it feels like we're starting from square, you know, N-2^3, but it *isn't* square 1.

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonicTwelve
Activist
Member # 34415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TonicTwelve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a feminist because I believe that no one should be prevented from living their life however feels best to them, based on their gender. I believe that current political, legal and social structures prevent this and that its up to all of us to do something to change it so every woman can be free to live her life in whatever way she chooses.

--------------------
~~Caitlin

"Oh baby I said,
It's all in our hands,
Got to learn to respect,
What we don't understand,
We are fortunate ones,
Fortunate ones, I swear."

Posts: 61 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thumb tack
Peer Ambassador
Member # 60502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thumb tack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I called myself a feminist, I thought everyone was a feminist (I mean, who in their right mind WOULDN'T believe in equality for all???). I was dumbfounded when I found out that some people, in fact most of the people i knew, don't consider themselves feminists.

I still don't understand why anyone wouldn't be a feminist... I just can't wrap my head around it (I mean, who in their right mind wouldn't believe in equality for all?!?!?!). Over time I guess I must have internalized some of the stigma associated with feminism, because now every time I say I'm a feminist my heart beats a little bit faster and I get just a little bit hotter.

I'm a feminist because there are still people who aren't. I'm a feminist because for some strange reason, there is stigma attached to believing in equality for all.

Perhaps this is not an appropriate question for this forum, but why the heck wouldn't I be?

Posts: 126 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haleylynn
Neophyte
Member # 47356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haleylynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a feminist because no one at my highschool, none of my good friends, and certainly no one that I would jump into a conversation with understands it when I attempt to explain the subtle ways I have noticed and felt discrimination.
I'm a feminist because I know eventually, I'll have a voice. Or atleast some equally smart, capable young woman will. And because eventually, I dont think I'll be getting those crazy looks from people that don't understand--maybe it'll be the other way around.

Posts: 25 | From: Kansas, USA | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe in equality in individual power. When it comes down to it, everyone is a unique human being, and deserves certain basic undeniable rights. Some of the more privileged rights (that get lost when someone is convicted of breaking the law) can be taken away if their actions are proven to be profoundly negative, but the basic human rights should always exist for every person, and laws that counteract this should be changed and improved.

Actions tend to speak louder than words (though sometimes words do count as actions when used in certain ways in the public arena [Wink] ). But if what you do counteracts what you say, you are not being truthful to yourself or others.

I try to "pre-"judge people as little as possible. [Smile]

[ 06-01-2011, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: WesLuck ]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calamity Jane
Neophyte
Member # 70370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calamity Jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...without genitals, everyone would be the same.

--------------------
Love.
What a curious thing.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.