Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Cupcakes for Life (or as I like to call it, GAAAAAAAAAH)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cupcakes for Life (or as I like to call it, GAAAAAAAAAH)
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It came to my attention browsing the web that there were demonstrations involving cupcakes across the US on the 9th. Oh, great! Free cupcakes! But apparently, they come with a heavy dose of guilt.

http://www.cupcakesforlife.org/

So, basically, these people encourage pro-lifers to hand out cupcakes to un-suspecting people (apparently even encouraging elementary school kids to break school rules if they have to by passing out cupcakes "quickly" and being apologetic if they get caught) and then promptly guilt them by going off about how it's no one's birthday: it's a mourning for all the (unofficial number that = a lot) babies that will never grow up to have birthdays.

Want a laugh to lighten it all? Have a look at the FAQ where it addresses the Very Real possibility that a pro-choicer who is "angry inside" will smash the cupcakes in their face. I probably wouldn't go that far, but I would be awful tempted to snatch a few and chomp down thoughtfully as I consider comebacks, like "So what are you doing for the kids who are alive and conscious who don't have birthdays or cake because they're starving or unwanted?" or the more snarky "Only PINK FROSTED?! No muffins? BROWNIES?! WE WANT CHOICE!" or "My GOD! I've seen the light at last! Life begins at confection!" and walk away all enlightened-like.

All humour aside, this kind of stuff makes me rage. Especially when it comes to making kids participate in heavy, dangerous debates and convictions. :C

[ 10-11-2009, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: -Lauren- ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first saw the title, I just thought, "Ooo! Cupcakes!" and completely missed the pro-life part. I even thought it might be cupcakes for cancer research or something, which would be great!

I'm seriously disturbed that they are targetting elementary school children. I think these kinds of organizations should be kept out of schools at least until high school (though I'd prefer to not have them at all). I'd even argue that allowing such organizations produces peer pressure and bullying, and I can speak to that having been bullied in school for being pro-choice (and atheist). (My last year of middle school, people left bible hymns in my locker and on my desk and said I was a devil worshipper, which was a little funny since I didn't believe in anything, including the devil, but also really hurtful, and of course, the school did nothing when I finally reported it.)

Using cupcakes like this is such a terrible ploy at getting kids' attention. From their site: "Why Cupcakes?
Simply because everyone wants them!" Ugh. Heck, I probably wouldn't even turn down a free cupcake nowadays. [Razz] But the difference is that I can separate "free cupcake" from "person giving me free cupcake." Children might get the free cupcake and think the person is really nice for giving the cupcake so what they say must be true; whereas, I can just take the cupcake, thank the person, and walk off without listening to their BS.

And wtf is that about "The cake in their mouth will become dry and the moment will hopefully become quite somber." I thought they wanted people to enjoy the cupcakes! But really they just want to torture unsuspecting cupcake aficionados! Jerks. I'm being playful here, but this truly does anger and disgust me. I'm also just so tired of these pro-life groups using terrible ploys and spreading inaccuracies and lies. And I am hurt that they've stolen cupcakes. Any ideas for what pastry pro-choicers could use? Or maybe we should give nutritious sandwiches to show that we actually care about the health and well-being of the people who are already alive.

[ 10-11-2009, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: orca ]

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I am hurt that they've stolen cupcakes. Any ideas for what pastry pro-choicers could use? Or maybe we should give nutritious sandwiches to show that we actually care about the health and well-being of the people who are already alive.

Hmm. I've considered some ideas for a counter protest. I'm thinking either run with the "choice" catch (offering various pastries) and pass along a suitable message along with, or simply go up to the people giving out cupcakes and offer fried chicken in honor of the chicken embryos they destroyed to make cupcakes that will never bast in the bliss of ground corn flakes and grease. Or perhaps passing out fliers that say "X number of children live in neglect, unhappiness, and hunger. To them Cupcakes for Life says: let them eat cake." or something similar that draws a parallel. And totally agreed, how dare them sully cupcakes, for crying out loud! And for such a spiteful purpose. [Frown]

And exactly what I was thinking in regards to putting the kids up to it. It is just all sorts of wrong, not to mention sends the incredibly shitty message to kids that all aborted fetuses could have the fantastic lives they do where they're fed, clothed, having birthday parties, and getting treats in a mandatory public or private education system.

[ 10-11-2009, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: -Lauren- ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get what you're saying about resource distribution but just because a born homosapien has all the things you mentioned doesn't mean they aren't still oppressed, they may still have parents who do or say all manner of horrible things.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Yeeeaah, I'm pretty much the last person on Earth who needs to be informed that abuse comes in forms other than neglect with my life experiences. [Razz]

I meant more in terms of propagating the belief that the "unborn" they're fighting for would be first-world kids just like the ones being egged on to participate who are relatively privileged American children.

Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be patronising.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

It's all right, I wasn't offended. [Smile]
Bonnie.N.Clyde
Activist
Member # 34135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonnie.N.Clyde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orca:
From their site: "Why Cupcakes?
Simply because everyone wants them!"

Unlike babies, which some of us (like myself) do not want and cannot support!

This is so strange and upsetting. But the fact that they have prepared to have cupcakes smashed in their faces is very endearing.

--------------------
-
"And when everyone is super, no one will be."

-Syndrome, "THE INCREDIBLES"

Posts: 116 | From: Olympia, WA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlespoon
Neophyte
Member # 43465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlespoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good god. This is just so wrong on so many levels. Indoctrination much?

And the other thing that bugs me about it: whilst I'm very pro-choice...SURELY there is some better, more rational pro-life argument out there than "OMG these poor kiddies won't have birthdays! They will never taste cupcakes!".

I guess, though, when you're feeding (haha, bad pun!) this rubbish to primary schoolers you really don't have to have a rational basis [Razz]

--------------------
This is our last dance; this is ourselves.

Posts: 29 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treetops
Activist
Member # 44381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treetops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread simultaneously made me angry (at the creepy pro-lifer indoctrination method) and hungry for cupcakes. (If anyone has that vegan cupcakes cookbook, advise me: should I buy it? It looks good but expensive...Ahem.)

It must be confusing being offered a cake by these people, because your immediate response might be to assume it was for charity or something, and they've immediately wrong-footed you. Grr.

Posts: 161 | From: europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treetops
Activist
Member # 44381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treetops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the whole 'these kids won't exist to enjoy the wonder of cupcakes' argument reminds me of an argument I've had thrown at me by some omnivorous people (only the irrational ones, though): 'But we breed animals to eat! If we didn't eat animals, think of all the animals that wouldn't exist!'
Frankly, there's enough rubbish going on in the world without worrying about human and non-human animals that don't freaking exist. Heh.

Posts: 161 | From: europe | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panique
Neophyte
Member # 44513

Icon 1 posted      Profile for panique     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know is that I would have eaten the cupcakes and not really paid attention to a word they said. That's a really ridiculous and sneaky tactic.

--------------------
"If I ever saw an amputee being hanged, I would just yell out letters."

Posts: 29 | From: Queensland, Australia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silverambera
Neophyte
Member # 44467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverambera     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a Christian but I'm somewhere in the middle of pro-life.pro-choice (sex makes babies, if you don't want babies don't have sex - don't bash me on this one). But I also believe in birth control (some don't).

I believe it goes far beyond religion. Into a place to make other people feel bad about their "life" decisions, because they have/had a crappy life. They feel as though NOTHING you do in life is worse than being pro-choice.

Going up to school kids is pretty low for anyone. They already go through peer pressure, let them handle that. They shouldn't have to feel guilty for something they didn't do and possibly something they don't have information about.

--------------------
Now that I know what I’m without
you can't just leave me - "Bring Me To Life"
(feat. Paul McCoy)

Posts: 21 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Considering you just said one of the same things pro-lifers say all the time to argue against abortion access, don't expect nobody to argue with you. Why should somebody have to not have sex if they don't want children? Contraception can fail you know. And there are some things that are sex that do not pose any pregnancy risk, what you mean is don't have vaginal intercourse (there are other things that pose a pregnancy risk, all of these applying to situations where at least one partner produces sperm and at least one partner is capable of becoming pregnant themselves, namely anal sex if protection isn't used and semen travels from the anus to the vagina, getting semen on one's hands and then touching one's partner's genitalia, basically anything that brings semen or precum into contact with the genitals of a woman or trans-man capable of becoming pregnant, but I'm guessing you were thinking of vaginal intercourse).

--------------------

mizchastain
Activist
Member # 32224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizchastain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My personal philosophy is: "Against abortion? Fine. DON'T HAVE ONE, and leave the people who do alone because it's none of your darn business." Maybe my thoughts on the matter would change if I ever got pregnant, but I have no plans to do so (asexual/celibate, dislike children, terrified of the mere concept - excuse pun - of pregnancy, and tendencies towards chemical depression and Aspergers' Syndrome run on both sides of my family and I don't want to inflict that combination on anyone else. Just because it's not a medically life-threatening one doesn't mean it doesn't really suck). I really have difficulty seeing why people think they should have any say in what total strangers do.

Campaigning against abortion, fine, if it's what they wanna do, but bringing children into this is beyond vile. I believe I've seen stuff like this described as an "information virus" before. The kid's taught to spout this stuff before they can possibly understand a single word of it, and when they're old enough to actually understand it they never try because they've been taught not to question it.

And why do they think people would waste cupcakes like that? I realise trying this would be a bad idea but I sorta wanna see if someone could aggravate some cupcake-distributors into throwing the cupcakes at them. That way they get to have free cupcakes without the guilt of buying into the scam, and the cupcake-distributors make themselves look bad ... Shame that wouldn't work in real life, but it's fun to imagine.

[ 11-01-2009, 04:52 AM: Message edited by: mizchastain ]

Posts: 475 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBexExpress
Neophyte
Member # 44524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBexExpress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Argh. The thing about this is that it isn't the most offensive pro-life campaign I can imagine, it's just so insidious. It's got this facade of politeness and friendliness and tasty, tasty baked goods, but the getting-to-the-children approach is so icky when you think about it.

Emotionally blackmailing young children, WITH SUGAR, to sway them towards your beliefs is not an okay way to campaign.

Posts: 13 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silverambera
Neophyte
Member # 44467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverambera     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Considering you just said one of the same things pro-lifers say all the time to argue against abortion access, don't expect nobody to argue with you. Why should somebody have to not have sex if they don't want children?"

You have your opinions, I have mine. It's partially based on my beliefs/religion. And sure you can still have sex if you don't want children (within marriage-again my belief). Birth control does fail, but if you're not ready or able to raise a child (you could put it up for adoption) then maybe you shouldn't participate in intercourse. And while everyone has the right to do whatever they want with/to their body, I "personally" don't think of abortion as a quick fix. Not saying it is but you should always have back-up plans beside abortion.

--------------------
Now that I know what I’m without
you can't just leave me - "Bring Me To Life"
(feat. Paul McCoy)

Posts: 21 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey y'all: the best way to be able to talk about issues like these is simply to avoid talking about what choices anyone ELSE should or should not be making, and to stick to what your ethics mean about YOUR choices.

If everyone does that, no one should have any issue at all (and no one likely would have) with variance of opinion here on abortion issues because one would only be talking about one's own choices, okay?

For example, rather than, "sex makes babies, if you don't want babies don't have sex..." instead "sex makes babies, if I don't want babies [i/]I[/i] don't have sex."

It's also how we ask users to discuss this in our site policies on choice, so if anyone who has gone to an everyone/other people place in talking about personal reproductive choice can just please revert back to an I/me, that'd both be appreciated and should allow us to have a conversation that can be inclusive of everyone without making judgments about what is a personal choice.

[ 11-01-2009, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68208 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing they forgot- not even everyone likes cupcakes! I have a family member who refuses to eat sweets AT ALL

but then, It sounds like generalizations may be their specialty.

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Just to make clear, I wasn't saying somebody shouldn't decide not to have kinds of sex that have a pregnancy risk because they don't want to be pregnant I was saying that nobody should HAVE TO (don't know how to do italics, not shouting) refrain from those kinds of sex because they don't want to be pregnant and that noone should say someone is immoral/unethical/a slut because they have had an abortion or that abortion is an immoral/unethical act, saying "I don't want to have one/I wouldn't feel right having one" is different than telling other individuals off for asserting their ownership of their bodies.

[ 11-02-2009, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.