Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » How do you show you're safe sex savvy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you show you're safe sex savvy?
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here at Scarleteen, obviously we talk a lot about safer sex practices. Users and volunteers alike learn and offer information about how to be safe in the decisions that we all make about sex - so what about everywhere else?

Do you share your sex savvy with your friends, family, acquaintances? Do you ever find yourself talking with friends and giving the correct information on safe sex practices where they may have been incorrect? Maybe you've written an article or posted a new piece of information as an AIM away message. How does the information you learn and bring to Scarleteen help in your life, and how do you share that information with those around you?

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
curiousgeorgia
Neophyte
Member # 37672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curiousgeorgia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'll be the first to answer this post. [Smile]

I'm 17 and I'm in a fairly new relationship (6 months). It's the first relationship in which I considered sex. I had talked to my close girlfriends about their sexual experiences, and most of them just rely on condoms. Some of them had the condom break once or twice. When I heard that I decided that I'm not ready to trust only condoms as my protection, so I decided to go on the pill. So now I use double protection.

I do have a few friends that are on the pill and don't use condoms and havn't been tested for STIs. When I ask them about if they're concerned about getting an STI, they say their partners knew their ex-parters well and that they weren't some random people they met. I'm taught on Scarleteen that someone with an STI doesn't have to be promiscuous or anything like that and can be a virgin. So when I tell them they should get tested, they would shrug it off.

Needless to say, Scarleteen has really helped me with my "safe sex" life. It has helped me put my mind at ease as well.

Still, my bf knows I'm on the pill and he's been wanting to have condomless sex. Right now I'm not comfertable with just relying on the pill, but probobly well into my second month I will. The problem is, we would need to get tested. I don't mind getting tested myself. However, I don't know how to tell my bf that. I don't want to offend him by asking him to get tested. Since we are both virgins, he won't understand why I would want him to go. Before I came to this site, I thought that when someone's a virgin (oral, intercourse), they can't possibly have an STI.

Basically, I do share safe sex advice with my close friends and they admire and respect me for it. But I find asking my own bf to get tested difficult. [Frown]

Posts: 25 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first talked to my boyfriend about it, he kind of.. reacted negatively. But what worked for him was to explain things, then give him articles etc to look at on his own. Then he went to his doctor for a physical and talked to his Dr about it. Since he's had the same doctor all his life, he did what the doctor told him to [Smile]
A friend of mine had asked her bf to get tested, and he kept putting it off. So one day, she made two appointments and they went in together. Worked for her [Smile]

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.