Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Juno

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Juno
CondomMan
Activist
Member # 32823

Icon 8 posted      Profile for CondomMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had just recently seen this film and logged on to this website expecting to see some reaction, but after a quick search I didn't see any ... was wondering if I could hear everybody's thoughts on it if they've seen it?

Personally I think it's a very dangerous movie, because in some ways it's very endearing, funny, and opens dialogue about serious issues; on the other hand, however, it's very irresponsible in the way it depicted abortion clinics and the abortion issue in general. I think the abortion clinic scene, particularily the conversation with the receptionist was done for laughs, but the side-effect of that is that they propagated false stereotypes about clinics worldwide.

Has anyone else seen this movie?

--------------------
Condoms Rock!

Posts: 52 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SnailShells
Activist
Member # 35485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnailShells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really loved the movie for so many reasons, but the clinic scene irritated me. Even though I did laugh at the "It makes his junk smell like pie," line, the whole scene, (especially the receptionist--shouldn't someone working at a clinic know that flavored condoms can cause a yeast infection? I learned that in 9th grade health class) seemed off. It made the clinic seem, for the lack of a better word, vulgar. Other than that one scene, I din't really have any problems with the movie as a whole.

Also, anyone else notice that in the three big pregnancy-themed movies this year--Knocked Up, Juno, Waitress--that lead women all kept their less-than-wanted babies and it ended up working out just dandy for everyone? Hum.

--------------------
“I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty.” --John Waters

Posts: 206 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Here, you might want to have a look at this:
Film review: Juno

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CondomMan
Activist
Member # 32823

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CondomMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link, that review seems spot-on [Smile]

--------------------
Condoms Rock!

Posts: 52 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneJackson1989
Activist
Member # 36749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JaneJackson1989     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the reason hat all of the women kept their babies was most likely because they are comedies and abortion is usually much too contraversial to be looked at in a comic way
also...wouldnt a film in which the pregnancy was terminated be much too short?

Posts: 89 | From: Camden | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie101
Activist
Member # 37085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I looovvveeedd that movie:D but I also however didnt think that the clinic scene was portrayed very well...I'm sure in real life it would be alot more seriouse then that, like they wouldnt have a weird teenager behind the counter giving bad sex advice..but over all I think the movie was AWESOME! my dad even cried! which made it more funny

--------------------
stephh!

Posts: 88 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hunnybunny888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the abortion scene was the best in the movie.
The only other thing that stood out for me in the movie, was the ending (single mother adoption).

Other than those two scenes, I thought the movie was fun enough, but nothing near as special as everyone else seems to find it.

just pointing out I mean artistically

[ 02-20-2008, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: hunnybunny888 ]

Posts: 246 | From: canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flower_fairy
Activist
Member # 36070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flower_fairy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it last night, thought it was really good. It was funny and had a great soundtrack, also dealt well with a serious issue. I also doubt that an abortion clinic would really be like that (though I don't know) and think Bleaker should have taken more responsibility during her pregnancy.
As entertainment though, it was fantastic, really well made. I guess it depends whether you see it as a film, or really a depiction of the current situation.

--------------------
"Life isn't about avoiding the showers, it's about learning how to dance in the rain"

Posts: 46 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YellowRedFlowers
Neophyte
Member # 37850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YellowRedFlowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a bit harsh to be calling it a dangerous movie based on what was just one scene in the movie. It was really refreshing to see a movie like this, dealing with these issues in a lighthearted way that made it easier to connect with as opposed to the Lifetime-esque movies, which are good, just a bit overdone
Posts: 3 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.