Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » abstinence in the news

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: abstinence in the news
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interestingly, the first item is commentary from a girl with same sex parents...

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1535344,00.html

... which made the following 2 commentaries a bit easier to take.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1535349,00.html

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1535352,00.html

I got rubbed the wrong way by those. Perhaps it's seeing 2 commentaries by abstinent 16 year olds, instead of one by an active teen and one by an abstinent teen...

Perhaps it's that they're citing the same (preventable) reasons for being abstinent - reasons that aren't given honest appraisal in most current sex ed programs.

I think it's safe to assume that they've gotten these notions through piss-poor sex education, and probably stringent parents.

Does any one else find it troubling that two teenage girls would be chosen to self-describe as abstinent, yet there aren't any abstinent guys among the commentaries?

Or the fact that pregnancy and STDs, while being real risks that we're all aware of, are preventable with commitment and a basic amount of effort? Why the focus on these risks, and not the risk of an abusive relationship or one that's otherwise unhealthy?

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ikeren
Activist
Member # 26880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ikeren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if you read all 16 articles or not, but I did, and I found some other very interesting things: (Cylcling down from the 3rd article)

Article 1: The Gay Rights one - girl
Article 2: Anorexia - girl
Article 3: Said very little, talked about blogging and becoming a grown up - girl
Article 4: Balancing extra-curriculars, sports, and GPA (marks, percentages, the numbers) - girl
Article 5: After the first line, I was already biased to read the rest of the article as invalid:
quote:
The main reason I am abstinent is I don’t want to become pregnant.
A) Sex interaction other than vaginal sex
B) Condoms or other contraceptives.
Since she apparently does not know of the existence of either of these, I doubt she is well educated enough to be putting forth any opinion on sex. She later says "They do know about birth control, but I'm not sure they use it." - I don't understand how a girl acknowledges and ignores BC in the same piece of writing. - girl
Article 6: Becoming your own person - since this 16 year old refers to Darfur, I am rather impressed. - The first male
Article 7: Another biased article about sex - girl
Article 8: Racism - boy #2
Article 9: Standardized Testing - Girl #7
Article 10: Globalization, pollution, world stances - boy #3
Article 11: High school and related pressures - Girl #8
Article 12: High school, college, and related pressures - Girl #9
Article 13: Melodrama (the first article) contains the line "boys are infantile", which I especially appreciate. Nothing like a little discrimination to augment ones opinions. - Girl #10 (This is Ana Baric, flipped over at the top)
Article 14: Pressures on students, being caught between two age groups. Boy #4
Article 15: Stress, competition, and high school. Boy #5
Article 16: Paying for University/College, Joining the army. Boy #6

Now, there are several things to point out.

Only 3 of the articles are directly about sex. A few others contain passing references. What does this say about the age-old "teen age focus on sex?"

The fact 16 people equals 10 girls and 6 guys. Are only 375 out of 1000 sixteen year olds actually guys, or is this disproportionate representation? Furthermore, another concern is: 3 of the guys discuss school, education, and pressures on teens. The other three cover: racism, global politics, and growing into an individual. On the girls side, 6 talked about school, 1 anorexia, 2 sex, 1 gay marriage. In each sample group, 3 people hit controversial/major topics, showing a bias or slant trying to imply that girls don't care as much about the rest of the world as guys - which I disagree with.

I agree that a lack of abstinant guys is a problem. Especially because people's idea of abstinence varies from - nothing past kissing, to anything but vaginal sex.

--------------------
19, male, interested in Sadomasochism (BDSM) and some bisexual tendancies.

Posts: 157 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefreak44
Activist
Member # 12381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluefreak44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would have been nice to hear from an abstinent guy. My husband was abstinent until we were married; guys like that do exist (whether remaining abstinent until marriage, or at least until they're more grown up).

I also agree that other reasons should be discussed. Pregnancy was an issue for me; I know that nothing is 100% except abstinence, and in my rural small-town it would have been a pretty big deal if I got pregnant as a teen (since I was a "smart kid"). However, I waited for religious reasons, too. And because I'm a romantic. And maybe because I'm a bit selfish (he had to BUY this cow! lol). I kind of resent it when the abstinence issue is presented so one dimensionally.

Posts: 81 | From: MO, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.