Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » gyn must tell parent?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: gyn must tell parent?
face
Neophyte
Member # 29845

Icon 1 posted      Profile for face     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to the gynecologist for the first time. I'm 17 and want to know if the docotor will tell my mom that i have had sex if i don't want her to know. Am i legaly old enough to enforce confidentiallity?
Posts: 1 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, your gynecologist is legally required to keep anything you say to him/her confidential (unless you were at risk of harm to yourself or others, but being sexually active isn't that).

It's definitely very important to let your gynecologist know that you are or have been sexually active so he/she can give you the best care possible.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
virginia36861
Neophyte
Member # 30139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for virginia36861     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I strongly agree with above stated.. There is this new private law now that everything is completely private and you have rights just as you were an adult. I know a 15 yr old that went for birth control and her parents never were told until she was old enough to tell them she done this. I think it is great we have these private issues. Also FYI, you can also talk to them in private about anything and they will keep it between you and them only..But always ask them if you ever have any questions and they will help you and like she said, they can better take care of you if they know what goes on..these kind of Health Professionals see everything imaginable and anything you ask them or tell them, they see it all the time anyway..

--------------------
Virginia

Posts: 37 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Virginia, this was good input, but this topic is about a month old, so it's likely the original poster isn't reading the topic anymore and has already been to the gynecologist. For bandwidth reasons and to make sure more recent topics that still require attention aren't overlooked, we ask that you don't pull up old topics, especially if they've already been addressed properly. [Smile]

Thanks!)

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
virginia36861
Neophyte
Member # 30139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for virginia36861     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about that dailicious... Some members are new at this site and apprecite volunteers correcting us every step... I did not see the date, but ty for posting this correction..Will watch next time for the dates and responces as well..and I also see that you were the one that "addressed" it properly...See, I just wasnt paying attention there...

--------------------
Virginia

Posts: 37 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.