Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » The Case for Abortion-- The Other One

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Case for Abortion-- The Other One
coolestdesignz
Activist
Member # 18028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coolestdesignz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little while back, I started reading Freakonomics. This book discusses some alternative views as to why things work the way that they do, and it does make some rather good, convincing points.

What caught my eyes was the case for abortion.

In the early 1990s, crimes by teenagers were pretty much out of control. By the middle-late 1990s, things were quickly cooling down. Why?

Most believed that the booming economy was to blame. People bought this ridiculous explanation.

The authors of the book came up with an alternative explanation (significantly paraphrased):

The type of potential children at the most risk to become criminals are those that are disadvantaged. These pregnancies are often aborted.

Roe vs Wade occured in 1973. Any child born in 1973 would be 18 years old in 1991. By the time abortions were relatively available and affordable, they were affecting those that would have entered their mid to late teens around 1995, thus explaining the somewhat sudden decrease in crimes committed by teens.

Criminals can't kill if they don't exist!

Posts: 203 | From: Laguna Niguel, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i read that book too, and the authors were quick to point out that correlation does not imply causation.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by coolestdesignz:
Criminals can't kill if they don't exist!

People can't be fine, upstanding members of society if they don't exist either.

Just a quick point.

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, and suffice it to say, POVERTY, and the massive imbalance of wealth and resources in this country, is a bigger problem which simply not having children doesn't fix.

Pro-choice as I am, I'm sure not about to suggest that rather than continuing to do everything we can to get our administration to fix the gross problem of poverty, those of us in poverty just abort so they don't have to do that work.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coolestdesignz
Activist
Member # 18028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coolestdesignz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was an interesting perspective on a current issue.
Posts: 203 | From: Laguna Niguel, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kluekozyte
Activist
Member # 29511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kluekozyte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is an interesting way to think about that aspect of the issue, I agree, but at the same time is seems sort of cruel to me. Saying that the less poor children born into society, the less poor children will grow up to be criminals, is along the same lines as saying the children of, for example, African American children (if there is a statistical increased likelihood of them becoming criminals) should be aborter during pregnancy rather than allowed to enter our society.

Labelling all members of a group, be it socio-economic, racial, ethnic, or whatever, as potential criminals does not seem like a very positive thing to do. Perhaps lower-income families have less acces to education about birth control, and therefore have more unwanted pregnancies and unsupportable children. In that case, the solution lies in education and outreach, not in stigmatizing an entire class, and saying that America's streets are safer now that there are less children of poor families.

It is definitely a tricky subject, but I think this is fascinating to think about, so thank you to coolestdesignsz for bringing it up.

Posts: 84 | From: NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irm
Activist
Member # 27418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we should keep in mind that the book cited deals with cold, analytical, be it very unconventional, analysis of statistics and cause/effect events. I don't think it is being suggested that lower income individuals should abort in order to effect crime rate; rather, it is being speculated that abortions had by the lower income population, for whatever reason, may unknowingly have effected crime rate.

"Labelling all members of a group, be it socio-economic, racial, ethnic, or whatever, as potential criminals does not seem like a very positive thing to do."

Unfortunately, STATISTICALLY speaking, there is some truth to the matter. No one is saying that being born into any certain situation or skin makes you inherently less good, but being born into certain circumstances and dealing with certain hardships IS influential in the creation of a criminal. Economic status is THE big one when it comes to this. Any seeming corrolation between ethnicity and crime is actually a relationship between ethnicity and economic standing, and thereby to crime.

Posts: 213 | From: Private | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.