Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Moscow Gay Rights Rally Broken Up

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moscow Gay Rights Rally Broken Up
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read about it here.

quote:

MOSCOW, Russia -- Police and nationalist protesters forcefully prevented Russian and foreign gay and lesbian rights activists from rallying in Moscow, where they had hoped to put on a display of gay pride despite the city government's vehement refusal to grant permission for a parade.
[...]

Activists had urged gay rights supporters to lay flowers at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, just outside the Kremlin wall, and then to gather in a square opposite Mayor Yuri Luzhkov's office.

Personally, when I saw this on the news this morning I felt a great deal of admiration for these peaceful activists, who are protesting for their rights at great personal risk.

The city mayor of Moscow said that the values of the activists (because you know, all gay people all share the same values by virtue of their sexual orientation) are not acceptable values for Moscow, though he also suggested that the ban was to protect the activists from hostile members of the community (like himself perhaps?)

Personally, I don't buy that he was interested in protecting the activists at all, but the action has been criticised by some members of the gay community for similar reasons:

quote:

The issue has split Moscow's gay community, many of whom say that Russian society is still too conservative and that a parade would only provoke more violence from skinheads and radical groups.

So, what do you think?
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was huge news over here because a politician from the German green party, Volker Beck, was participating in the rally and ended up getting beaten by the police. They threw stones at him and punched him in the face. Then he was arrested for several hours. I find that absolutely outrageous.

Okay, so the rally had been forbidden and they went ahead anyway, but itsn't still the job of the government to protect its citizens, even the homosexual ones, when they are being attacked by memebers of right wing parties and Christian orthodox nuts? As opposed to the police participating in the mayhem and concentrating more on arresting the homosexuals than the people throwing things at them?This is so insane.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9171 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.