Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Currently, In Idaho....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Currently, In Idaho....
Irm
Activist
Member # 27418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Parental Consent/Informed Consent -- Two Abortion RS's were introduced in the Senate State Affairs today. The first RS -- parental consent -- would require minor girls to obtain their parents' permission before getting an abortion except in certain circumstances. The second RS -- informed consent -- would require doctors to show women considering abortions color photographs and video of developing fetuses, as well as abortion risks and alternatives. Both RS's were sent to print; however, Senate Leadership informed the bill sponsors that before both bills gets a formal hearing they must have the approval of the Idaho Attorney General's office that the legislation will stand up as constitutional in the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals."

Personally, I think that people going into heart surgery should have to sit through "counseling" where they are shown colored photographs and videos of the surgical procedure. That'll make them think twice before reaching for those cheetos! [/sarcasm]

Whose idea is it that psychological abuse of potential medical patients is in any way good for them?

Posts: 213 | From: Private | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What circumstances are considered exceptional re: parental consent?

In many instances, I think it's a good think that minors need parental consent before they do something-- abortion is not one of those instances. Having a baby will affect a girl for much longer than the period of time in which she will be under her parents' roof. Combined with my belief that no woman should be forced to continue a pregnancy that she does not want, my views are pretty clear cut.

I also agree totally regarding the video thing.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
origami_jane
Activist
Member # 27369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for origami_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is ridiculous. "Counseling" is blatantly-antichoice propaganda and should not be required. Do they think that women don't know what pregnancy means? If anything, people should provide psychological and relationship counseling and contraception information after the abortion to both the woman and her partner.

Certain people think that restricting abortions is going to keep women from getting pregnant, but it's not. Just like keeping the death penalty doesn't reduce crime.

This whole thing just... sickens me. Children of single mothers will become single mothers of single mothers... and we're going to have this cycle of poverty in this country. Grrr... there are so many things attached to this, like a web of despair and governmental neglect/abuse that keeps poor people "in line."

I really hate how the people running this country are such moneyed, racist, sexist [inconsiderate people]. This is not a democracy.

I really wish that I had better arguments. My mother is very antichoice, and I really wish I could stand up to her better.

Posts: 129 | From: Mid-Atlantic US | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.