Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Sex Education

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex Education
Ikeren
Activist
Member # 26880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ikeren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In another thread, Miz Scarlet said something that interests me and I'd like to discuss here.

quote:
I think I've mentioned this before, but nearly EVERY sort of sex education anything -- websites, books, films, you name it -- is almost always overwhelmingly female per its users and consumers. Sexual entertainment anything has almost exactly the opposite demographic.

I don't have exact numbers for us, but over the years, I'd estimate at Scarleteen is probably about 85-90% female in its userbase.

I can believe, it, certainly. I am kind of curious...what is the explanation for this? I don't think it is school related education - from what I've heard from my female friends, it is absolutely useless. And having gone through the system myself, I'll say that in Ontario, the male sex-ed curriculum is simlarily useless.

So why is it? Why do women appear to care so much about sex ed, while men so little? My best guess is one word: "Pregnacy", but I don't think that accounts for such astounding number differences.

--------------------
19, male, interested in Sadomasochism (BDSM) and some bisexual tendancies.

Posts: 157 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rice, R.E. (2006). Influences, usage, and outcomes of Internet health information searching: Multivariate results from the Pew surveys. Internation Journal of Medical Informatics, 75(1), 8-28.

That's the first article that comes to mind when talking about how gender influences information seeking regarding health care topics. While that article does not focus completely on sex ed infromation, one of the findings of that research was that being female is a heavy predictor of seeking out health information on the internet.

Frankly, why shouldn't women be concerned with sex ed? I mean, the overall risks for women are incredibly higher than they are for men (if we are talking about heterosexual sex). The consequences of sex are incredibly high, as are the pressures to be sexually active (whether they want to or not). Pregnancy for most young women is terrifying, because of the lack of resources available to them if they do become pregnant, because of the ridicule, because of the continued punishment for that. Diseases are also a huge concern...many diseases can have many long term, serious consequences for women that they do not have for men. Take HPV for example...cervical cancer is no joke.

Everybody should be concerned about having accurate access to information about sexual health. And everybody should be proactively seeking that information. But when it comes down to it, the risks and the punishments are so much higher for women, that it's not a surprise that most of our user base, and the user base for all sexual health info, is overwhelmingly female.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ikeren
Activist
Member # 26880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ikeren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose that makes sense. I'll look up that cited resource too - thanks!

--------------------
19, male, interested in Sadomasochism (BDSM) and some bisexual tendancies.

Posts: 157 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.