Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Wonder if Dorothy would still want to live in KS?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wonder if Dorothy would still want to live in KS?
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 10 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Court Lifts Ban on Kansas Underage Sex Law

quote:
From the article:
Under Kansas law, sexual contact with or among children under 16 is a crime.

The three-judge panel, in a 2-1 decision, ruled that although minors have a right to informational privacy it doesn't exist for illegal sexual conduct. They ruled the state has a greater interest in enforcing its criminal laws, protecting the best interest of minors and promoting public health.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 01-31-2006).]

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most people who know me here won't be surprised that I disagree with this. What gets me in particular is that it only applies to sexual activity. Two fifteen year olds having consensual sex won't be able to seek health care without authorities being informed, because there is some perception that this is far worse than a person of the same age experiencing physical and/or emotional abuse? I support confidentiality, but it boggles my mind that something like consensual underage sex is seen as a "special" case when there are so many things out there that are worse.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm suppressing every urge to crack a joke about dorothy spending all her time with toto...

anyway, can't say i liked the ruling. but a big part of me wants to defend kansas' right to govern itself according to the will of its people. i just hope kansas wises up and votes to overturn the rule.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HH_demiurge
Neophyte
Member # 27196

Icon 10 posted      Profile for HH_demiurge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do they have really bad prostitution problems or something in Kansas? What else, besides mindless puritanical idealism, would drive through a bill like this?
Posts: 25 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.