Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » underage sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: underage sex
rabiteen
Neophyte
Member # 22086

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rabiteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't technically a real issure for me, but my boyfriend is a few weeks younger than me. Generally with an age difference like that you'd just say we were the same age, right? Well before you jump to any conclusions, don't worry becuase we were both 17 when I had sex with him... but I was just wondering, if I'd had sex with him just afterI'd turned 16 and he was 15, would I have been a sex offender?
Because I just really wanted to know if the law goes both ways (ie girls assaulting boys), and how much of an age difference there needs to be. Because technically, 2 or 3 weeks, that's nothing, but I would have been overage and he'd have been underage. Just to clarify again, this didn't actually happen, I'm just curious.

Posts: 30 | From: England | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It goes both way, for both sexes, it doesn't matter if you're female or male, the sex laws apply to you.

Are you sure of the age of consent laws in your state? Technically, even if it's "just a couple of weeks" 15 is still 15 in the eyes of the law and it would have been illegal, if that were the case.

Age of consent varies from state to state, however, and even sex between minors who are both under the age of consent can be considered an offense if turned in to the police. Definitely more silly than a case of an older person and a younger person, but some of the laws work that way.

Still, check the age of consent to be sure. You can typically do a search for state laws and find the section which includes it fairly easily.

And people can also be charged for cases that happened in the past, I believe, if it was ever brought to court with proof, just as an fyi.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabiteen
Neophyte
Member # 22086

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rabiteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were you asking in case I'd had underage sex? I haven't just to clarify, in Britain the age of consent is lower than America I think (16 here, and I've heard it might be up to 18 in America) so that might have confused you. It's definitely 16 where I am.
Posts: 30 | From: England | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It goes both way, for both sexes, it doesn't matter if you're female or male, the sex laws apply to you.

That's not always true; in some cases, the law will apply differently depending on the genders of the alleged offender and the alleged victim.

In the case of the UK, I believe that if you had had intercourse while he was 15 and you were 16, then technically that would have counted as "indecent assault".

However, it's very unlikely that you would actually be charged; in practice in the UK, the police tend to ignore sex which is clearly consensual and between people very close to the age of consent.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
rabiteen, I wasn't assuming you had, it was just a fact to throw in. And actually, in some states age of consent is lower than 15. Also I believe a lot of states in the U.S. have seperate consent laws from statutory rape laws, like the two people having to be a certain number of years apart rather than one over one age and the other under it. It's a tricky system.

And I wasn't aware there was a difference in how a person is treated based on age and gender, though I guess it does make sense, that's interesting to know, thanks logic_grrl.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We tend to link to this page an awful lot:
www.ageofconsent.com

They give you an syopsis of the law, then provide the actual text of the law to better inform you. They have it for all fifty states, and a whole lot of countries. You may want to check them out.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The law usually works both ways, but it is usually more enforced with boys. However, the age of consent usually is accompanied by stipulations, i.e. one party has to be under 16 AND the other has to have more than 4 years age difference, etc. That's how it is in my state. But it all depends on the specific law where you live.
Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.