Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Debate Over Sex-Ed Goes To State Capitol

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Debate Over Sex-Ed Goes To State Capitol
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually, I browse this forum, comment, but never initiate discussion.

That was until I checked up on this evening's news.

Komo 4 has a lovely article on a new Sexual Education bill hitting the floor in Washington state.

I'm proud of the 300 students who rallied for this bill. It stipulates that schools have the right to choose whether or not to teach sex ed. That part I disagree with. The other thing is that if they teach it, they cannot teach abstinence only. Other birth control options must be taught.

Normally, I'd send this off to Miz. S so she can post it in the blog. But one particular quote angered me.

"Abstinence is the 100 percent way to prevent pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases,' she said. She adds state law already permits individual districts to decide whether to teach sex education and what to teach.

'You cannot teach children to be sexually responsible and expect them to not be sexually active,' said Senator Stevens."

Oooooooh, my blood boils. So teaching a teenager to make responsible choices just means they're going out the nearest member of the opposite sex, and say, "Let's get it on?"

And of course, those who don't know won't do. Ha. Right.

What do you think about this bill? Pass? No pass?

Is it a step in the right direction?

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nonny
Neophyte
Member # 22045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sex education is about more than kids' teenage years. Many people, especially conservatives, seem to believe that if you teach kids about sex, then they're going to go out and do it.

Well, that's not always the case. I was homeschooled, and educated myself in detail regarding sex. I didn't become sexually active until I was engaged and moved in with my (now ex) fiance.

Despite that, I needed to know about safe sex. Most young couples are not prepared to raise a child; it would quite literally ruin both their lives in many cases.

Sex education is about preparing kids for life after high school. If people really think that college-age people are going to remain abstinent... there will be some that do, but the majority won't. While getting information at that age is certainly easier, if the kids have been misinformed by abstinence-only sex ed programs (as many Texan students are), they're going to think they know what's what and totally botch things.

Teach kids--don't cripple them.

------------------
Nonny
"Trapped under ice
Comfortably cold
I've gone as low as you can go
Feel no remorse
No sense of shame
Time's gonna wash away all pain"
--KMFDM

Posts: 4 | From: Lewisville, TX | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did something.

I wrote to that senetor.

Here is my message:

Senetor Stevens--

My name is Caylin <insert last name here>. I am currently completing my Junior year at the <some college in Washington>.

I was reading an article on Komo 4 in regards to the issue of Sex Education in schools. I will say now that I support this. I was simply curious as to a statement you made, as quoted in the article.

You said that, "You cannot teach children to be sexually responsible and expect them to not be sexually active." I disagree. I have only recently left the high-school aged scene. Do you consider 16-19 year olds children? You see, regardless of whether or not you teach my peers the ways in which to protect themselves, they will put themselves at risk.

I volunteer with a sexual education website. From my experiences over the past 4 years with this website, with-holding information does not prevent anyone from participating in any activity. It simply puts them at a great risk if they do now know how to protect themselves.

I urge you to do some research into the numbers and occurances of sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancies. As reported by Komo 4, teen pregnancies are on the decline. In addition, I strongly urge you to look at www.scarleteen.com, as a comprehensive guide to sexual education. It is full of knowledge. Please, while you are there, take time to browse the forums and see what kind of questions are being asked by today's youth. They want answers, and by voting against this bill, you are preventing them from getting the answers they want and need.

They ask about birth control. They want to know their options, and their rights to their own sexual health. These often come too late, when proper sexual education in the first place could have prevented many pregnancy and sexually transmitted disease scares.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Caylin <insert last name here>

So, we'll see what happens. I'll let you know.

[This message has been edited by DarkChild717 (edited 02-16-2005).]

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.