Donate Now

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Masturbation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Masturbation
emachines
Neophyte
Member # 15890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emachines     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This question is more so for those who believe masturbation is wrong for religious reasons, and I'm just kinda playing the devil's advocate here, so don't just start yellin' at me. But for those who think it's a sin to masturbate, why do you think it's a sin? Even if it has been proven to be healthy for you. I've never noticed any (biblical) law to be against anything that is healthy. Such as in Jewish law, foods that aren't kosher, are restriced, not because God is mean and doesn't want us to eat tasty food, but because of a health issue. The food that is deemed unclean, is really that, unclean. But I've never found anything to be restriced that IS healthy for a person to do. If there is any tell me cause I wanna know.
I am a Christian and I believe it is a sin for me. Only because I have a spirutal conviction against it. Kinda like what piccalo777 said here:
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum29/HTML/000013-2.html

But I was just wondering where anyone thinks it says that masturbation is a sin in the Bible. And don't go talkin about Onan in Genesis 38:6-10, because that does not in any way talk about masturbation. It talks about Onan's brother who was struck down by God because he was evil(it does not state what kind of evil). So Judah (Onan and his brother, Er's father) commanded Onan to have sex with his sister-in-law (brother's widowed wife, wich was normal back then) as his duty for her, and produce offspring for his brother (the evil one whom God struck down). But Onan knew the offspring would then not be his, so he pulled out of her, and spilled his sperm on the ground, so he would not get her pregnant and produce offspring for his brother. That was also evil in the eyes of the Lord, so God stuck him down also. NOT because he masturbated, which is what many people think. But it doesn't even mention masturbation here. It's talking about sex here.
So I was just wondering what yalls thought were on this. Thanks.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this belongs in "Sexual Ethics", since it's discussing beliefs, not facts. So I'm going to shift it over there, okay?
Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilmsirishrage
Activist
Member # 14566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilmsirishrage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused a little, I think. By spiritual convictions, do you mean that to you masturbation seems like a sinful thing, as in you get some kind of gut feeling? I just ask because if you're arguing that the Bible doesn't say anything about the sinfulness of masturbation...your idea of its sin has to come from somewhere, right? (Don't worry, I'm not trying to be rude...I'm just curious!) Both you and piccalo just mention these spiritual convictions, but not what that means. I can certainly see how there could potentially be Christian spiritual issues with masturbating to the point that you do nothing else and start neglecting other people, but not how it's bad in moderation =)

Yeah, the Onan thing doesn't refer to masturbation directly. The point of it, though, was that he spilled his seed to the ground. The connection between this and masturbation was that both are non-procreative sex. I feel like back then this prohibition was a means to spread the Jewish and later the Christian deity around the world...ie, "have lots of kids! then there will be more Jews/Christians!" more so than "masturbation is inherently evil!"

The Onan thing could also have been a situation of obeying one's father/mother, since the father commanded it, more so than a specifically sex-prohibitive deal...but that's just a thought.

[This message has been edited by lilmsirishrage (edited 12-16-2003).]

Posts: 51 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many theologists I have spoken to about Onanism seem to agree that Onan was punished for disobedience to God's law (fulfilling his duty to his brother's lineage) than for the spilling of seed/non-procreative sex.

Since this has the potential to be a sensitive topic, it might be a good idea to remind y'all that when posting, stick to your own beliefs and how they apply to you, rather than sweeping generalizations. Rock-throwing isn't allowed on the playground, alright?

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilmsirishrage
Activist
Member # 14566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilmsirishrage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the section from religioustolerance.org on the Bible and masturbation:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/masturba3.htm

I'm glad the Onan thing isn't referred to as a proscription of masturbation anymore. I was just mentioning what I had always heard. I love all the new theories on the Bible and sex...

Posts: 51 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emmers
Neophyte
Member # 15962

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Emmers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found a article about masturbation and whether it's against the bible. I found it very helpful and easy 2 understand. So, heres tha link. Go check it out 4 yourself:
[--Edited: I'm sorry, but the link you posted seems to propagate a lot of misinformation.]

Hope that helps!!!!!!!!

------------------
***Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It's means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.***

[This message has been edited by lemming (edited 12-18-2003).]

Posts: 4 | From: Maurertown, Va, USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emmers
Neophyte
Member # 15962

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Emmers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, obviously my link was "edited" because of "misinformation". But see, I don't get where the misinformation was. It came strait from the bible. I don't want to be rude or anything so If I have come off strongly to anyone, I'm sorry. If you wanna check out the site or just want to talk a/b it, just e-mail me and I will give you the link. Ok!! I'm sorry my opinion offended people.

------------------
***Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It's means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.***

Posts: 4 | From: Maurertown, Va, USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emachines
Neophyte
Member # 15890

Icon 5 posted      Profile for emachines     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was the misinformation? and who edited it? And there is no way to Email you.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Emmers and emachines: I edited the post, as you can see from the note at the bottom of Emmers' post. emachines, you can't email Emmers because we do not allow users to post email addresses for their own safety.

Regarding the link: Respectfully, here's what I took issue with:

-the description of masturbation as "self-abuse," especially when we have many users dealing with actual issues of abuse at the boards

-the description of masturbation as habit-forming or tolerance-inducing, as in "If you let yourself become enslaved to a sexual high, you will find that you need to go to increasingly extreme acts to maintain the same degree of excitement," although we know scientifically that neither of these ideas are true

-the gender bias in such statements as "Men may be more easily visually stimulated than women, but women can be just as vulnerable to sexual fantasy in the emotional realm," though, again, we know that women can be just as stimulated by visual stimuli as men

In addition, you'll note that much of the text of the page you posted does not come "straight from the Bible," a lot of it is rather broad analysis of Biblical passages.

In short, that page contains a lot of misinformation on masturbation that goes against what we are trying to do on this site.

Masturbation is an issue on which each person is going to have to figure out how they feel about it. Passages in the Bible that are often cited on masturbation are interpreted differently by different scholars. It's a personal choice, and while we leave that choice up to you, we insist on having correct information about the physical/medical sense up on the boards.

For more on masturbation, please see these articles:
Is Masturbation Okay? (Yep)
Going Blind - A Masturbation Memoir

And if you have any further questions on the matter, please take them up via email at boardmom@scarleteen.com. Thank you for your input.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

And when her spirit left her body/How it split the sun/I know that she will live forever/All goes on and on./And she goes/And now she knows she'll never be afraid... - Neutral Milk Hotel

[This message has been edited by lemming (edited 12-20-2003).]

[This message has been edited by lemming (edited 12-20-2003).]

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.