Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » ethical question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ethical question
shrinkingViolet
Neophyte
Member # 15397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shrinkingViolet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I am new here and I have a bit of an ethical dillemma.

A friend of mine started selling her used hosiery and underwear on an online auction site that does adult auctions.

She is making some pretty good cash doing this and says it's easy and no big deal. I went to that site and some of it is really gross stuff, but others are just pics of girls in their underware and socks and stuff like that.

I am thinking of doing that, getting a po box and a seperate bank account for extra safety and I would never put my face up on that or show nude pics.

It's kind of wierd but she says that the guys who buy her stuff are nice and just harmless pervs.

I'm just wondering what you all think, should I do it? Is it unhealthy? Embarassing if someone found out, yes but ethically I was wondering if there was anything wrong with doing that.

Thanks, s.

Posts: 4 | From: Schenectady, NY , usa | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there are a couple issues with this.

If the items have not been washed before sending, then yes, technically they are a biohazard.

As well, a post office box and separate bank account, still in your name, with your home address affixed, offers you SOME protection, but not all. People wjo work at thepost office, forinstance, can access your home address easily. Doing the sort of work I do publicly, I learned that the hard way in Chicago when I got a stlker who in fact worked for the post office.

And obviously, if you're a minor, chances are high if your folks find out they're not going to be at all happy. Especially if they buy your clothing for you.

So, privacy portection aside, and possible germ stuff aside, is selling laundered clothing unethical, because someone is getting off on it?

I wouldn't say so. I've had a few secondhand clothing finds at the Goodwill I've practically had an orgasm over myself.

But ethics are subjective, so really, it's about how yours apply, not mine.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend who traveled to Japan a few years ago found a vending machine selling used "school girl" panties with a picture of the girl wearing them attached. Not sure if that is any help to you... but I thought it was interesting.
Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shrinkingViolet
Neophyte
Member # 15397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shrinkingViolet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never thought about stalkers working in the post office. That's really scary. Yeah, it would be hard to explain to my mom that my underwear 'just dissappeared' but I guess I should think about this a lot more before deciding. Thanks!
Posts: 4 | From: Schenectady, NY , usa | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a friend of mine used to rake in a pretty good profit selling *regular* used clothes on ebay. she was a very fashionable gal, though. she'd buy stuff on the cheap and sell it online and make good money. if you're looking to sell stuff online, that might be a pretty good way to go. then you don't have to deal with the sticky ethical dilemma. oh, and that girl's sister makes money on eBay by auctioning of rare records. she buys them cheap at the local used record shop and then puts them up for sale. this is only good if you know your music, though.

as for underwear, gal, i dunno about you, but i horde mine. the less underwear i have means the more often i have to do my laundry!

------------------
You can either be part of the problem or part of the solution, but in the end, being part of the problem is much more fun.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flatly, were I your Mom paying for your underwear, everything else aside, I'd be pretty ticked off to find you reselling it.

As far as business ethics go, that's pretty not legit: someone else purchasing your materials, as it were, with you reselling them without their knowledge?

Not so ethical right there.

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shrinkingViolet
Neophyte
Member # 15397

If I want thongs or any sexy or expensive underwear+ bras I am supposed to buy them myself, so if I do go ahead with this I'll just sell the ones I paid for.

You're right, it wouldn't be fair to sell clothes that someone else bought for me.
And it's not like I would do anything in them I normally wouldn't, like some of those grosser auctions, so would that still be a bio hazard and could I get in trouble for mailing them?

Heather
Member # 3

Again, if you give or sell anyone unwashed garments, you're basically creating a germ risk, the same way shipping them unwashed handkerchiefs or used toilet paper would be. Someone with Herpes, for instance, could transmit it to others that way.

Is that also illegal? Apparently: http://www.newsnet5.com/news/1545746/detail.html

Did a bit of poking for you and indeed, it is illegal in the U.S. to ship used undergarments using the US postal system. A federal offense, to be precise.

So again, you really want to do that, I'd advise doing it only with washed garments and I'd also remind you that things like this are rarely as private or safe as they may seem.

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

shrinkingViolet
Neophyte
Member # 15397

OMG...I never thought of it like that (filthy items). I am totally not going to go through with it. I just emailed that article to the girl I know who sells her stuff on that site too. I guess I'd rather be hard up for money working in a bookstore than in jail owing thousands. Or being stalked by someone. I mean, it's not like I have any diseases, but who knows what grows on used underpants after a few days of no washing.

I can't believe I almost went through with it. I am all grossed out now. whew. and jail time for underpants.? No thanks.
But am better informed, thanks for all the researching!!!

*embarassed*

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.