Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » lying about condoms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lying about condoms?
lilmsirishrage
Activist
Member # 14566

Icon 8 posted      Profile for lilmsirishrage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know no one really cared that much last time I got enraged about sexual politics but here's something that made me even more mad:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20031009/ts_nm/religion_condoms_dc_1

In fact, I'm so mad I refuse to be affiliated with the church anymore. Not that anyone in the church really cares that I won't be going anymore...but I figure I just can't go along with a group that's blatantly lying to millions of at-risk people. An article on the same topic from a British newspaper said that some churches had spread the idea that condoms were laced with HIV.

So, that's that.

Posts: 51 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it was a matter of no one caring, love, just a matter of the fact that few of us are very surprised at how low the current US administration will sink when it comes to sexuality matters which involve anything but heterosexual marriages of adults with the most vanilla of sex lives.

This bit you've posted today also made me ill when I saw it, but my recaction was similar: the Catholic Church has -- for centuries and centuries -- been an ineredibly corrupt institution (separate from the religion), and I'm sad to say this latest bit didn't surprise me any, either.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68208 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As annoyed as I am with the Church, I'm not exactly surprised. I mean, these are the people who conceded that Galileo might have had the right idea in 1990 (or so. don't remember the exact year).

------------------
got a haircut, got a silver tooth
tryin' to get myself arrested

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean it took them 300 years to agree that the heavens might be imperfect, and that yes, sun spots do exist?

Wow. Some how I was under the impression they already agreed to that.

Gee. Maybe I should spend a little more time studying current events rather than past ones.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know the exact details, but i do know that Galileo was pardoned for having the right idea way too recently, and I think there was also something pertaining to the form of the heavens in the pardon. But, really, don't quote me or anything.

------------------
got a haircut, got a silver tooth
tryin' to get myself arrested

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This site has a Los Angeles Times story from 1992 on the Vatican's official admission that it had "erred" by condemning Galileo for heresy.
Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
curlgurl_2003
Neophyte
Member # 15078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curlgurl_2003     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i was in hs health class, we learned that condums dont protect yuo from STD's
Posts: 25 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The same organisation that signed a concordat with Hitler (but then I suppose many organisations did at that time) and I believe quite recently also apologised for centuries of persecution of jews with its strong encouragement. One might hope, having discovered how easy it is to hurt others with clearly immoral words and deeds, that the institution would be more careful. But it seems they are just creating another round of things they will have to apologise for.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
when i was in hs health class, we learned that condums dont protect yuo from STD's

Yes, the Vatican aren't alone here - the false claim about condoms being "permeable" is also used by many "abstinence-only groups".

What's true, of course, is that condoms can't provide 100% protection - they can occasionally break or slip (although most of the time that's due to incorrect usage).

But with most STDs - including HIV - correct condom use is highly effective at preventing transmission.

With a few STDs, such as herpes and HPV, transmission can occur through contact of the genital skin not covered by the condom, so condoms can't provide complete protection.

But in those cases, condoms still provide much more protection than going without.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilmsirishrage
Activist
Member # 14566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilmsirishrage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I thought the church had "grown up" enough that they wouldn't try to blatantly deny established science. Science has come a long way over the years and you would think that they wouldn't try and deny it now...well at least, I thought they wouldn't. It's one thing to say that using a condom does something intangible like turn you into a promiscuous person (yeah right). I hadn't heard something this blatantly stupid with regards to very well proven science...how frustrating.
Posts: 51 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

One thing to bear in mind is that many Catholics are outraged by this too. In 2001, Catholics For A Free Choice launched a global campaign to end the bishops' ban on condoms - check out the website at http://www.condoms4life.org , which is full of interesting articles and statistics.

So if you're Catholic, you could join the people campaigning to change the church's stance on this, instead of feeling that you have to leave the church altogether.

logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

This is interesting - a Belgian cardinal has now said that he "deplores" Cardinal Trujillo's comments about condoms.

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=healthNews&storyID=3619216§ion=news

quote:
"I deplore that comment the way it was received," Cardinal Godfried Danneels, 70, told a news conference at his residence in the town of Mechelen, near the Belgian capital.

"It does not befit a cardinal to deal with the virtue of a product ... I don't know if what he said is reliable," he said, adding that a cardinal should instead raise the ethical, religious and spiritual dimensions of the AIDS issue.

Vatican observers say Danneels, archbishop of the Brussels-Mechelen region, is probably too liberal to be chosen as the next pontiff by the Church's College of Cardinals, which elects a successor from among its own ranks after a pope dies.

ChitarraRegazza
Neophyte
Member # 15161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChitarraRegazza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, Trujillo also said that the only way to prevent the spread of AIDS is to practice monogamy within marriage.

This is clearly ridiculous. Apparently in addition to generating panic about condoms either not preventing or causing AIDS, he wants to ignore all nonsexual ways to transmit HIV.

Really, if the church was actually trying to prevent the spread of AIDS, they'd need to make it impossible for blood to leave the body, force all pregnant women with AIDS or HIV to have an abortion, give drug dealers a voucher for free new needles to go along with every sale, supply needles to every underfunded health clinic in the world, etc etc. Clearly they're not about actually stopping the spread of AIDS, they're trying to use fear to get people to fall in line with the Catholic ideals of sexual behavior.

Also, Daneel's comment on the "ethical, religious and spiritual dimensions of the AIDS issue" makes me a little bit uncomfortable. The ethical and religious part of this doesn't concern me as much, since he was talking about cardinals, and their business is religion (and for most Catholics, ethics are derived from religion), but the mention of spirituality reminds me of when people insisted that AIDS was a plague designed by God to remove gay men from the earth. (As an aside, my roommate tells me that heterosexual females now have the highest rates of infection).

-Catie

Posts: 25 | From: mass and ny | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by curlgurl_2003:

that's a pretty vague way of putting it. and as such, the phrase becomes really misleading.

Can condoms protect 100% against all STDs? NO they cannot. Does that mean they're totally ineffective? NO it does not.

By blocking the exchange of bodily fluids, a properly used condom can prevent the transmission of STDs like syphilis, HIV, gonorrhea, chlamydia and HepB. This assumes the condom you are using does not fail. Unfortunately, in this imperfect world we live in, condoms can fail and as sexually active, responsible decision-making people, we have to decide if we want to accept that risk.

A big bummer, however, is that not all STDs are transmitted by fluids alone. Some are spread by skin contact. Condoms reduce the risk of, but are less effective at preventing skin diseases like herpes and HPV. Does this mean that you should give up and just go unrpotected? NONONONONO. Reducing your risk factors is ALWAYS a good idea. For example, if your family has a history of heart disease, do you give up in frustration and gorge yourself on butter and Crisco? No, you do not. Likewise, even if there' a risk out there, you still do your darndest to protect yourself. Like by using condoms.

------------------
Be the doctor your parents always wanted you to marry.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.