Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Corruption of an American Child

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Corruption of an American Child
happilytroubled
Neophyte
Member # 7532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happilytroubled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After watching this Dateline on NBC about teen-sex in the 21st century, i had realized that sex is not taken as seriously as it should. The program evidenced kids of either sex in middle school with no respect for themselves at all. Oral sex in general has become a widespread activity, almost a passtime for kids that are not mature enough even to understand what sex really is, or at least, what it should be (an intimate act between to people that LOVE, or at least Respect each other). The age at which kids are starting to discover sex these days is lowering drammatically, and it is no wonder that you hear about more girls getting pregnat at younger age, or about boys fathering a baby at 14. Exploitation and commercialization of sex have reached an historical high...do people have no ethics anymore or it is just me that I'm old-fashioned? by the way, i'm 17 and a guy......
Again, respect comes before all and it is not optional!
my question to you all readers out there is:
DO YOU THINK THAT KIDS, THESE DAYS, KNOW MORE ABOUT SEX THAN THEY ACTUALLY SHOULD?

I just want an opinion...

Peace!

Posts: 6 | From: los angeles, ca | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, they know a heck of a lot less than they should, which is one of the main reasons this site exists. I'd say it's only in the past couple of centuries that *not* having sex in one's teens has been considered the norm, so it's not like we're dealing with anything new here. Selling sex is also darn ancient, ever hear prostitution referred to as 'the world's oldest profession'? Sex is a very normal, healthy, human thing to do; what's important is knowing how to do it in ways that won't hurt anyone physically or emotionally, or make any new, unwanted people. It's certainly possible to do this, so what's important isn't whether or not teenagers are having sex, it's *how* they do it.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

But now is a chance to shine
And have the pleasure of saying what you mean
Have the pleasure of meaning what you sing

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
herecomestheson
Activist
Member # 8200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for herecomestheson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think kids do know more about sex in this day and age, but not more than they should as you said. I think an awareness of sex at a young age can be a good thing as it can make youth aware of the many hazards that can be involved with unprotected sex. However, whether they are "mature" enough is up for debate. Obviously a 23-year-old having sex with a 14 year old is illegal, which I won't get into. But what about two consensual 14 year olds? I think it's ironic that a TV program aired this show as most uneducated and dangerous sexual mistakes and ideals come from TV and North American pop culture. While I'm not trying to fall to age discrimination, I think that many young kids (10, 11,12?) are simply not educated enough, meaning that they have not learned the full implications of what a sexual act can cause.

I think sexual awareness at a young age is important and that more schools should make sex-Ed a full-fledged class that focuses on more than just the organisms of the human body. I think it would have been really beneficial for kids around the age of ten to know about things like STDs, risk of teen pregnancies, etc, in the sexual-education class (Isn't that what this site is for?). Most schools treat it as if it's something to get over and done with while simultaneously generating interest amongst some of the kids.

With that said I don't think there's such thing as "young kids knowing too much about sex". The real threat is "young kids hardly knowing anything about sex".

[This message has been edited by herecomestheson (edited 01-29-2003).]

Posts: 72 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happilytroubled
Neophyte
Member # 7532

Icon 4 posted      Profile for happilytroubled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
let me reformulate my question then. i understand the importance of education about sex and it would be a scary thought to know that kids don't aknowledge the consequences of having sex. however, it seems like that, despite all the education about sex that the government is trying to inculcate in kids nowadays, kids continue to have sex anyway, taking therefore a risk that should be weighed and considered more important than just "fun". All I'm trying to say it's that sex is not a frivolous matter, and by today's standards, it seems like it's nothing important!
Posts: 6 | From: los angeles, ca | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
herecomestheson
Activist
Member # 8200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for herecomestheson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by happilytroubled:
however, it seems like that, despite all the education about sex that the government is trying to inculcate in kids nowadays, kids continue to have sex anyway, taking therefore a risk that should be weighed and considered more important than just "fun".

But this sexual education isn't supposed to prevent kids from having sex. That's unrealistic.

I don't understand what you mean about sex being "important", I disagree with that point of view. As Scarleteen has said many times before people shouldn't go into sex expecting anything from it. While I think that safe-sex is important I don't think the act is. It's only as important as each person makes it out to be. Your response has me confused. I think that there are many intelligent kids out in the world who will be very prepared for the emotional and physical technicalities involved with sex. While many people think that 13 is a young age to have sex I think if "kids" are responsible and take the precautions necessary then why shouldn't they? The risks involved with this age group are the exact same with any other age group (except some ages related to when one can get pregnant).

[This message has been edited by herecomestheson (edited 01-29-2003).]

Posts: 72 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just something to think about: when you talk about exploitation of teenagers and sex after seeing a show like that, do you think about the fact that shows like that choose their programming based on what will get them high ratings?

In other words, that they are participating in the exact thing they're apparently so disturbed about? Especially if they're bending the facts to make hearts race.

Historically speaking, young adults are parenting WAY later than they have through much of history, and many are also becoming sexually active WAY later than they have for most of history. Teen pregnancy rates are NOT rising. They have, in fact, been falling since the early 60's. They are currently lower than they were in the 50's. If dateline said otherwise, they're playing with the facts.

Lastly, sex can be different things to different people at different times. It certainly can be very serious. It also can be frivlous and fun. It can happen in the context of both casual and committed relationships and do so in both safely, soundly and healthfully, if those involved enter into those scenarios soundly.

I don't like being told my the government or anyone else that the sex I'm having -- even as an adult -- "should" be any one thing, or "should" be in the context of one kind of relationship. Especially when I know full well at any time what suits me, how to engage in multiple types of activity with physical and emotional health, and because what sex is for me at any time, so long as I consent and my partner(s) consent, is up to me (it was at 14, it still is at 32). And you.

Look around even just these boards: you'll notice that love or commitment didn't make a darned bit of difference in the cases of many of the young parents. Love isn't birth control and it isn't disease and infection protection. Something too many seem not to realize. If you take some time and file through viable studies on pregnancy and infection statistics, you'll notice how very, very many young adults contracted infections or became pregnant from just their one partner, or their "serious" relationship. If that's what you want and that's what's good for you, great. But more casual sex is not by defination any more physically or emotionally unsafe unless it is practiced unsafely in those regards.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 01-29-2003).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a factoid so as to avoid misinformation: when it comes to immunology and infection and disease, the risks are aactually higher in teens and young adults than they are in older people. My mother is an infectious disease expert and we talk about this a lot.

That's because of the state of your developing immune system and the fact that young people generally are exposed to more increased physical contact than their older counterparts (people in corporate offices generally don't share cups or towels or clothing half as much, or greet each other with kisses and embraces, for instance).

That, however, doesn't have to mean intimate activity is unilaterally not okay for that age group -- just that safety becomes even more important.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sort of agree with you, happilytroubled. It seems like there's a lot of pressure on kids to have sex before they're ready. I don't think this is due to an overexposure of sexual messages in the media, rather to the poor quality of most of these messages. (see Milke's post)

It's important to remember that people have have been having sex for the "wrong" reasons for hundreds of years. Even if you wait until marriage to have sex (as was the only acceptable thing to do, in the past) you may be having sex just because you want children, or your partner demands it of you, or because you only married him for the money and you're just doing your "duty"... you get the idea. I don't think that irresponsible, loveless sex is unique to our times.

But you asked for opinions, so here I go. Yes, I think it's distressing. I will respect people's decisions to live their sex lives as they wish, but I personally think you should wait until you're in a mature loving relationship before you have sex. And I also think that the way children and adolescents are sexualized in the media is a little creepy, even though I think people of all ages can have a sexual spark in them.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.