Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Your right to birth control is under attack...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Your right to birth control is under attack...
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...for about the millionth time.

Northern Kentucky, USA: http://www.citybeat.com/2002-10-10/news3.shtml

Basically, right-to-life organizations flooded lawmakers with propaganda claiming that birth control pills cause abortions. In reality, they do no such thing, as they PREVENT conception from occurring so that there is no NEED for abortion. In addition, if the pill is taken after conception has occurred, it does NOT promote miscarriage or "spontaneous abortion."

The lawmakers very nearly approved "a proposal to refuse federal funds for health clinics because they cover birth control pills and intrauterine devices (IUDs)."

A gem of a quote from the article?

quote:
But complicating the issue is the fact that candidates' answers aren't necessarily to be believed. Right to Life also asked, "Will you actively support ... legislation which prohibits all use of state, federal and/or Medicare funds for abortion (including chemical abortions, such as RU-486, or the so-called 'morning after pill,' or the so-called 'standard birth control pill'?) It is now acknowledged that the pharmaceutical manufacturers agree that the so-called 'standard birth control pill' carries an abortifacient function."

Dan Humpert, a Republican running for reelection as District One Kenton County Commissioner, answered yes. But now he says he should have looked at the questionnaire more carefully.

"I don't believe that birth control pills are abortifacients, no, but there are people in Kenton County who do," Humpert says.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 8 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've gotta be freakin kidding me.

Maybe if we all travel there and claim to the legislature that the anti-abortionists cause spontaneous abortions, they will believe us and put them all to death.

Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackRoseFaery
Activist
Member # 7365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackRoseFaery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God, I hate ignorant people. Anti-abortionists are some of the ludest, most annoying, ridiculous people on earth. They have no right to restrict our rights! Personally, I think if anyone's rights should be suspended, it's their right to breed.

------------------
Art is why I get up in the morning, but my definition ends there. You know it doesn't seem fair, that I'm living for something I can't even define" - Ani D.

Posts: 88 | From: Hixson, TN, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
who whoa whoa I'm not sure that's appropriate.

You have your beliefs, let them have theirs.

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I'm not saying I disagree, that isn't the most appropriate or effective way of getting the point across. It's okay to state that you believe something's not right for whatever reason, but calling people 'ignorant' or 'ridiculous' because you don't agree with them isn't something we're okay with here.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS

Better living through Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwilightJack
Neophyte
Member # 10438

Icon 5 posted      Profile for TwilightJack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Could someone just bother to explain the logic of this one to me? It's absurdity. Let's see . . . the availability of birth control is a contributing factor to abortion . . . ?

I must have missed something there. As far as I know, people who want to have sex tend to have sex. If birth control ceased to be easily and publicly available, how many people who currently wear a condom (or take the pill, or use any other method of contraception) when having sex would just keep on having sex and rely on the pull-out and pray method? Perhaps the increase in teen pregnancy rates can be attributed to the "wages of sin."

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Touchstone
Neophyte
Member # 3659

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Touchstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't hate ignorant people, hate people who choose to stay ignorant
Posts: 36 | From: USA, NY | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's not hate anyone...it's ok to dislike someone or what they do...but hate is an awfully strong word.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FedLips
Neophyte
Member # 10723

Icon 9 posted      Profile for FedLips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take away my birth control and take away my freedom.... Freedom, what a silly word. I guess it only applies to few in this country, after all...

------------------
"Happiness is finding myself bundled in his arms, sleeping by his side, and sharing the same pillow..."

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 4 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FedLips:
Take away my birth control and take away my freedom....

Gee, call me crazy, but I'm under the impression that there is a whole lot more to freedom than birth control. Which isn't to minimize the fact that denying people's access to birth control is a serious problem that needs to be addressed. But at the same time, let's not forget that we are some of the more fortunate folks on earth by virtue of the freedoms we do have.

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three"

"Battery Stolen; Youth Charged"

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunset_Rose
Activist
Member # 10181

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Sunset_Rose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not belive this!
How utterly ridiculous.
I personally am pro-choice, but I have no problem with pro-life people as long as they do not try to control my choices!
It is all well and good to personally choose not to have an abortion as you believe it is wrong, but what right do you have to force your choice onto other people?
What makes your choice any more justified than thiers?
I for one can not see the justification in forcing someone to bring a child into the world when for whatever reason it is not going to be financially and emotionally cared for.
The thing about this ruling that really angers me is that it presumes to dictate what is the right thing to do.
It takes away one of the most valued rights in life that we have- The right to choose.

Posts: 123 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KandyKorn17
Activist
Member # 9729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KandyKorn17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok i need to put my 2 cents in here.

first off, i don't want to hear any more name calling. pro-choice, pro-life, the both of them can have some angry, ignorant followers, but that doesn't mean they're all like that.

second, i'd just like to say that personally, i don't believe in abortion, but i couldn't see myself getting in the way of a woman who did.

BUT, that being sad, what you have to realize is that most people who are pro-life honestly believe it is their duty to protect the unborn children by any means possible. In their minds, they're not restricting anybody's rights- most people don't believe that anybody has the right to murder. Well, MOST pro-lifers think of abortion as pure and simple murder. I don't think they're right, but I wanted to get it out there that nobody is simply trying to take away freedom here.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KandyKorn17
Activist
Member # 9729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KandyKorn17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one more thing... as far as the issue goes, i don't think there is anything wrong with the morning after pill. i had this discussion with a girl friend of mine about a week ago.. no matter what your position on abortion is, preventing pregnancy (i.e preventing sperm from fertilizing an egg..) is different than ending a pregnancy.
Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Kandy does have a point. Slogans such as "my body, my choice" do not contribute very much to the debate on this complex issue. The anti-abortionists do have a moral argument that is in some ways valid. Thus counter arguments must be intelligent moral and scientific comments rather than an immediate collapse into what "self-evident rights" are being violated (the child or parent).

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem as I see it is, truthfully, that there is no real argument for or aganist abortion, or contraception for that matter. It boils down to personal choice and personal belief.

Also, there are so many facets to the defense of either side of the argument. There's no real, scientifically-proven stand on when life begins, whether it be when the sperm touches ova and conception occours, or when conigitive thoughts can be had by a given organism.

It's an argument that takes place in a morally and ethically grey area. It's all about personal and/or religious beliefs and convictions.

------------------
Tim,
Scarleteen Advocate

My hormones don't rage. Oh sure, they get mad sometimes, but then they just stop speaking to each other. -- Daria.

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If social groups exist to help the individuals involved survive (as I daresay they do for humans and many other animals), contraception, at very least, has a valid place here and now. Too many unwanted children, and the spread of disease are very real problems that can destroy general well-being, and cause problems for all associated with the afflicted. Some things may be considered morally debatable, but others really are practical concerns -- and this is something that's easily overlooked, and really shouldn't be.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS

Where are my goddamned pants?
BD,SA

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UKgirl
Activist
Member # 11280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UKgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whilst I am pro-choice, I can understand the argument put forward by the pro-lifers here (although I DO NOT agree with it). A lot of pro-lifers are catholics, and therefore belive that life begins at conception (when sperm meets egg). The contraceptive pill works mostly by preventing this, but also works by changing the womb lining so that if conception takes place the embryo cannot implant. If you are catholic, this could be seen as abortion.
Posts: 166 | From: London, England | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...yet if that is the case, so then is male masturbation and NOT conceiving at every available opportunity. So is miscarriage, by that thought process. So then might be menstruation, for that matter.

Given, there are a few Catholics who would agree with that, and thus do NOT masturbate and DO have children until the cows come home, whose wives never miscarry and never get a chance to menstruate because they are pregnant all the time.

But very, very, very few.

So, that argument is TREMENDOUSLY limited and breaks down pretty fast when you follow it to it's logical conclusions. And that's without even going into the idea that women are not baby factories and the feminist and humanist implications of that notion or the whole questionable business of encouraging endless fecundity in our world, period.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 01-10-2003).]

Posts: 67994 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cup of Joe
Neophyte
Member # 10643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cup of Joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahem, I would just like to say that I am a catholic and I am pro-choice. I do believe that was a hasty generalization there. Sadly, I don't think there ever will be answer to this issue. Both sides have valid arguments. It really is up to the individual. A certain group of people should not dictate what everyone else has to do/say/believe. We have to respect everyone's opinion, but I know in reality we don't and that it's hypocritical to even say that.

Can't we all just...get along?

Posts: 34 | From: Old Bridge, NJ, USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oddly, there were other posts in here that I recall, which seem to no longer be here, including a link from me to the following group with a clear statement that many catholics are pro-choice: http://www.cath4choice.org

Maybe I'm getting senile.

(I wasn't generalizing -- I stated that a few Catholics may subscribe to a certain trail of logic.)

I think the point in much of this is, Joe, that yes, we can all get along, even in terms of issues like this -- if our choices about our own bodies and sexual lives aren't dictated by someone else's religious beliefs -- which is the issue with a case like this.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67994 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dusk
Neophyte
Member # 9957

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Dusk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I get twitchy whenever I hear about government using religious arguments. I'd rather they use a general humane approach instead. It's such a delicate balancing act as it is, without complicating it with choosing one belief system over another.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Shy One
Activist
Member # 6815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Shy One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's horrible.

If I lost my birth control pills I'd be in big trouble because they are used to control a medical problem - I'm not sexually active, but when I do become sexually active I've got a start on safe sex. Geeze, looking back on what my life was like before I was on the pill compared to now, wow, I love my pills!

Posts: 94 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.