Donate Now

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Free speech and satire

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Free speech and satire
rollo
Neophyte
Member # 9954

Icon 5 posted      Profile for rollo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the moderators here do not understand the concepts of free speech and satire. Apparently not.

Are they trying to shield the members here from things that may not be "politically correct"? Perhaps you are so sheltered that you don't recognize satire? The thread that you locked is from a Saturday Night Live skit.

I find it interesting that its the politically correct bunch that are the biggest censors in our society.

Posts: 5 | From: Great North | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if you understand it yourself?

The first amendment is part of US law. Not only is it not international, it does not apply to private entities, such as...oh, let's say, message boards which have their own set of rules and regulations. In this case, a set that made clear to you when you registered that defamatory language and posts which harass individulas or groups are not allowable here on the public boards. If those rules were unacceptable to you, then you should not have clicked that little button that says, "I agree."

I assure you, as the owner of the site and the administrator of the boards who started studying literature when you were likely still in diapers, and who makes her living as a writer that I fully understand satire (which by the way, is a literary tool employed by definition to speak AGAINST the dominant culture, not for it, and to expose social injustices, not support them -- and if you have to tell your readers what you have written is satire, then you haven't done a very good job in being satirical). I also understand that Scarleteen is an international community and our rules are such for many reasons. No person of arab descent should have to read what you posted here the other day in a space like Scarleteen. The arab community has been poked at, prodded, ridiculued and made fearful by our culture, even those who are US citizens, and if you aren't aware of that, you may want to take a long, hard look at yourself before you accuse others of being sheltered.

(As far as other things that are not aceptable here via the rules which you appear not to have read, neither is copyright infrignement, by the by. Neither too, are complaints about the board itself, which the registration agreement makes clear need be directed to email. For those reasons and more, your posting privledges have been removed, as stated may occur in these instances again, in the guidelines. Surely, if you are erudite enough to have such a firm grasp on satire and censorhip, you had no trouble comprehending a simple set of rules, and thus, this doesn't surprise you.)

You "find it interesting that its the politically correct bunch that are the biggest censors in our society. " Me? I find it depressing that 99% of the time I hear someone whinge about "censorship" it's because someone won't let them say pithy, nasty and bigoted things about other people. Pity that, because there are numerous cases of very real censorship in the world in which disenfranchised people can't speak for their own rights and liberties, or freely express original thoughts and ideas of real merit (like, for instance, the arab and muslim women who you seem to find so amusing), rather than trite rehash from a television sitcom.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 09-29-2002).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.