Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Gay Priests in the Catholic Church

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gay Priests in the Catholic Church
BlackRoseFaery
Activist
Member # 7365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackRoseFaery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a snippet on the news this morning about the Catholic church questioning whether or not they could allow gay priests anymore, based the abuse scandal. Their reasoning is based on the fact that many of the victims were boys.

Personally, I think it's disgusting, blatant discrimination against GLBT people. Pedophilia and Homosexuality are EXTREMELY different. Loving someone of the same sex is one thing, but molesting children is quite another and the two are in no way associated. The news anchor added at the end of his report that there are no studies that show that homosexuals are more likely to molest children than heterosexuals.

Anyways, I just wanted to know everyone's opinion on this.

------------------
Art is why I get up in the morning, but my definition ends there. You know it doesn't seem fair, that I'm living for something I can't even define" - Ani D.

Posts: 88 | From: Hixson, TN, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the unfortunate thing this is that to my understanding, the majority of cases reported HAVE involved male perpetrators and male victims. But that doesn't mean, as you stated, nor is there any solid evidence overall, that homosexuals are more likely to molest children -- bear in mind, when a lot of mainstream sources talk about "child molestation" they aren't talking about just children but about ALL people under the age of majority, so "sexually assault" may be a better term than "child molestation" -- than heterosexuals.

I think this is making a leap of logic to say that the problem is BECAUSE some priests are homosexual. The better thing to look at might be what homosexual priests aren't getting within the church that they may need (support resources, acceptance in their orientation, etc.), and/or how the church has always treated sexual abuse in general (in a word, poorly, and in secrecy), and/or how sexual abuse and reporting for boys is even less supported and encouraged than it is with girls and so forth.

(Just for the record, since you want to make delineations between homosexuality and pedophilia, might want to make sure you're doing so correctly: pedophilia and child molestation are also not the same thing. Pedophilia simply means sexual attraction to children -- not teens, just those pre-puberty, sexual attraction to teens in an adult is called ehebephilia -- and it implies no action or assault whatsoever. Just the sexual attraction itself.)

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 08-18-2002).]

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackRoseFaery
Activist
Member # 7365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackRoseFaery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:
(Just for the record, since you want to make delineations between homosexuality and pedophilia, might want to make sure you're doing so correctly: pedophilia and child molestation are also not the same thing. Pedophilia simply means sexual attraction to children -- not teens, just those pre-puberty -- and it implies no action or assault whatsoever. Just the sexual attraction itself.)

Oops...Sorry about that. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

------------------
Art is why I get up in the morning, but my definition ends there. You know it doesn't seem fair, that I'm living for something I can't even define" - Ani D.

[This message has been edited by BlackRoseFaery (edited 08-18-2002).]

Posts: 88 | From: Hixson, TN, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No need to be sorry.

It's just helpful when making an argument to be sure all of the terms you're using are clear and correct, so thought I'd toss you a heads-up.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melimelo
Activist
Member # 7361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for melimelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but isn't the church against homosexuality anyway? i mean, if they don't want gay priest, they could give that as a reason instead of child molestation.

(not that i think any reason would be a great one)

Posts: 81 | From: north america | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.