Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Casual Sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Casual Sex
Layla
Neophyte
Member # 9179

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Layla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya, My name is Layla and I am about to start my final dissertation for my Psychology degree....on sex! I was wondering if any of you darlins out there would mind helping me out by telling me your feelings on two questions/areas:

1) Do you feel that sex (sexual intercourse) has become more casual today as in less emotional importance is associated with it?

2) Do you associate sex with love or are the two divided (having sex with someone doesn't mean that you are in love with them)?

Thanx XXX

Posts: 6 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confused333
Activist
Member # 6450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confused333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) Do you feel that sex (sexual intercourse) has become more casual today as in less emotional importance is associated with it?
I feel it has become more casual today. It seems like alot of people are friends with benefits and having one night stands. I don't believe it is as emotional as it used to be.

2) Do you associate sex with love or are the two divided (having sex with someone doesn't mean that you are in love with them)?
I associate sex with love. I am not really into having sex with close friends or someone I just met a couple of days ago. I wait until I know they love me and I love them. I just think that is how it should be.

------------------
Why does a rose represent love, when a rose always dies??

Friends are like condoms, they help out when things get hard.

Posts: 473 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Actually, I think a lot of people have sex "casually" or thoughtlessly (before they are ready for it, for example) precisely because of the emotional and social significance attached to it - having sex to "prove" your love for someone, or to try and keep a partner, or to feel grown-up.

I'm not sure what you mean by "sex (sexual intercourse)", by the way. I think often the importance people attach to intercourse leads to treating other forms of sex more casually - because it's believed, for example, that oral sex isn't "actual sex" and so "doesn't count".

Well, they are two separate things. Having sex with someone doesn't automatically generate love, and loving someone doesn't automatically lead to sex (and of course there are lots of forms of love apart from romantic love). Treating sex and love as identical seems to cause a lot of harm and confusion.

But for me personally, sex is a very intimate and personal thing. Therefore I wouldn't choose to be sexual with anyone I didn't trust and care about.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OoMEoO
Activist
Member # 6026

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OoMEoO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

It is definitely not as emotional. People are always having sex with people they don't even know and having one night stands and such.

I, personally, don't associate sex with love. But thats just me. I just have to know, care about, and trust the person I am having sex with. Yes, exactly, when I have sex with someone, it does NOT mean I love them.

Posts: 118 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's now easier to have casual sex. At this point we have options such as birth control, condoms, lube, STD/STI screens, home pregnancy tests, etc. available to us Many of them are inexpensive and all of them are widely availble. Since safer sex is so easy to do sex doesn't have to be a huge life-changing event. It is possible to have sex and move on with no harm done. Personally that knowledge allows me to relax and enjoy sex more - and it also means I don't need to put an intense emotional value on it.

I defer to logic_grrl on this one - she summed it up perfectly.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mnsouthpawjr
Activist
Member # 9384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mnsouthpawjr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I think people especially teens are engaging in more casual sex than they did even 20 years ago. Why? The media which includes the internet, magazines, television, and movies promote sex at no cost. These industries promote how easy or soon sex happens. Also, peer pressure increases the amount of casual sex. Sex seems to be a competition rather than a show of love.

A 14 year old posted on this site about having sex more than 3 dozen times with different partners. How many of those encounters contained no emotions and were casual?

I personally think that sex is divided between the 2. I think 53% of the people are having sex casually. My belief NOW is that sex is meant to share your emotions and love. However, my past belief was casual sex was o.k. with trust and protection. Now, I can think casual sex is saying your partner is a number and not a human.

Posts: 73 | From: Louisville, KY USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I feel that many teens today have taken much too lightly the consequences of sexual activity. They do it for fun and to feel good instead of to share their love for a person. People are having sex even though they are too immature to really understand what making love is all about.

For me love and sex come hand in hand. Although a person in love doesn't have to have sex, a person having sex, in my mind, should always be in love, and in a long-term, trusting, and committed relatonship. I have lived my life by these rules and I'm completely happy with all the decisions I've made regarding sexual activity. I just wish others were so lucky.
Thanx XXX[/B][/QUOTE]

Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.