Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Promiscuity, Condom Use and STIs in Britain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Promiscuity, Condom Use and STIs in Britain
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw a report on this on the news, and I thought it might be of interest here, so I looked up the online report.

What interested me was that although condom use for intercourse has risen, the occurence of STIs has also increased. Although it doesn't say this, does it not suggest that more people are engaging in unsafe oral, manual and other sex? If only they'd been to Scarleteen..

[This message has been edited by BJadeT (edited 12-01-2001).]

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
italianboy84
Activist
Member # 6033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for italianboy84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It actually shows that contraception is never 100% effective. I think it's like playing Russian roulette....you can be in that percentage to whom the condom breakes, or that gets venereal warts even if you use all the kinds of contraception you want....

------------------
I love God, I believe that my virginity is a gift to be given to the woman of my life, at marriage, with God's blessing. I love and respect life.

Posts: 48 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here we go again...

why is the statistical failure rate o condoms listed as 15%? because not all the people who use ondoms do so correctly. they put them on backwards, don't roll them down all the way, don't lubricate them, or lubricate them with corn oil or whatever have you. the relatively high rate accounts for ppl who simply cannot follow directions.

in general, this is why you'll never get a 100% efficacy rating 'cause you'll always have ppl who'll screw things up somehow. but guess what, if you follow the directions as you're supposed to (lubricate with water-based lube, take pills on time every day, bend ring while inserting), the things actually work.
as for the rise of STDs, studies in the States have shown that teenagers, while using condoms more frequently for intercourse, oftentimes don't define oral sex, manual sex and whatever have you as forms of sex. They are often unaware (or feel invincible against) of the health risks involved in engaging in these activites sans protection. Thus, this leads to increasing incidence of STDs.

------------------
I bust my arse so that I can get somewhere in life, so why am I not there yet?

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel
Activist
Member # 2870

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To quote British glamour girl Jordan, recently made pregnant:

"It's not my fault they don't pull out"

She was dead serious when she said this

Posts: 105 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Makes you worry doesn't it. I wish I could force every teenager in Britain (and the whole world) to come here, just so they knew the facts.
Moral of the story is-don't take safe sex tips from page 3 girls.

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
To quote British glamour girl Jordan, recently made pregnant:

"It's not my fault they don't pull out"

oh lordy! and ppl like this are reproducing!

------------------
I bust my arse so that I can get somewhere in life, so why am I not there yet?

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.