Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » New UK law to allow third parties to press domestic violence charges

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New UK law to allow third parties to press domestic violence charges
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This new UK law as the subject line indicates, will allow certain third party groups to press DV charges when they feel they're warranted. According to the article, the law will only apply when men are allegedly abusing women, and not vice-versa. The groups that will be allowed to press charges on behalf of women they believe are abused are police forces, domestic violence shelters and various other community groups.

This is bad on so many levels. First, why is it that only women are allowed this little loophole under the law? It's discrimination. Second, I think that, given that there are certain radical elements out there in the women's movement (many of whom I'd imagine work in some capacity for shelters), this sets up a dangerous situation. If someone, for instance, believes that all intercourse (regardless of consent) is abuse, don't you think that they might try and use this law to the best of their advantage? Basically, it gives radical feminists the opportunity to press charges against men, without (or at least with less) concern for legitimacy, methinks.

------------------
i'm not really gay, I think/it's hard to tell with only one/push too hard towards the edge/i'm only safe on halloween
-Eric's Trip

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't heard anything about this! Oh well. I dont think its all that bad. The single gender loop hole is of course wrong but understandable. Furthermore, you would never get any judiciary or jury to convict a man of domestic abuse by having sexual intercourse (unless it was clearly rape) with the "victim." As far as I know, there are not many really radical feminists left in this country (the war for womans liberation is pretty much over and feminists have won). There are certainly no radical feminists anywhere near a powerful position, I would imagine even among the charities.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, even though a jury might not convict a man of assult for having consensual intercourse, the fact is that the woman could still report him to the police, which could be harmful to him. However, I would imagine that (at least I would hope that) the police would have a fairly clear definition of what constitutes abuse, and as such, consensual sex of any kind would not be considered cause for arrest. So someone reporting this "crime" would have to lie in order to get the man in trouble, and then hopefully get in some pretty serious trouble themselves.

However, I do agree that only applying it to a single gender is plain wrong. Just because women might be abused more often, does not mean that the cases in which men are abused should be diminished.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah I did think of another problem and this problem would count for both genders with this law! I would not be surprised if the law has not taken this onto account. What about certain sado-masochistic sexual practices that would easily come under the definition of "abuse" if it was not consentual. Naturally, a victim of this "abuse" would not press charges since it is what they desired but that might not stop a misguided police department from doing so, not understanding the facts behind the case.
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
In Canada, an assault charge is not laid by the supposed victim but by the Crown in consultation with the police. If you are assualted with a baseball bat, you do not have the option of preferring charges. The Crown will prefer charges regardless of your wishes on the grounds that people should not go around assaulting others with baseball bats.

I think the UK law is designed to cover cases where a spouse does not prefer charges out of fear. I find it surprising that the UK Crown does not already have this right. However, I agree with you that only the constituted civil authority should have the privelege of preferring charges. This would be a dangerous power to grant to third parties.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzuunmod:
[BAccording to the article, the law will only apply when men are allegedly abusing women, and not vice-versa.[/B]

That one sentence sums up the inherent problem with this legislation. There is no room for blatantly biased laws of that sort, especially when women are just as capable of partaking in domestic violence as men are.

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.