Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » "Our Friends" in Afghanistan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Our Friends" in Afghanistan
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well at the risk of dragging in the rest of the whole situation into what is a purely a sex related board, I will instead only quote a few select bits from what the glorious, freedom-loving, right-respecting Northern Alliance got up to before they suddenly became the West's best friend. We have discussed before the absolutely horrific acts by the Taliban to women. The question of whether women will be better off after their fall is not quite as clear as you would have thought:

"A bloody and brutal record

Rapists

GENERAL DOSTUM, the key Northern Alliance commander, is a warlord based among the Uzbek ethnic minority in Afghanistan. He was initially a supporter of the Russian invasion of Afghanistan in 1979, and has since repeatedly switched sides in the Afghan civil war. At one time he was even allied with the Taliban.

The US State Department reports that thousands of civilians were massacred by Dostum's forces, which "purposefully targeted civilian areas". Claims that the Northern Alliance will somehow liberate women are nonsense.

The Sunday Times's Jon Swain reports that in the Afghan capital "Dostum's forces are remembered for raping women and girls in Kabul, cutting off their breasts". Journalist Robert Fisk reported his first meeting with Dostum: "When I arrived at the fort to meet Dostum there were bloodstains and pieces of flesh in the muddy courtyard.

Well atleast they are consistent. They dont seem to show much mercy to men either:

"The guards told me that an hour earlier Dostum had punished a soldier for stealing. The man had been tied to the tracks of a Russian-made tank which then drove around the courtyard crushing his body into mincemeat as Dostum watched."

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are so many mistakes that have been made where the US has backed one government to overthrow another - only to have the government they helped place in power turn against them.

I hear people speak of the Northern Alliance as those who will "liberate" Afghanistan, but nobody seems to remember the many human rights abuses they committed the last time they were in power. They claimed they supported womens rights, they believed in freedom of speech - yet what happened when they were in power was a complete contradiction of what they'd said.

------------------
*Read my diary

*Read my page

*And...alwayz :)

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely. It terrifies me. All that's happened is that a group of blood thirsty warlords that are opposed to the West have been replaced by a group of blood thirsty warlords that aren't.
And meanwhile our press declare that it's a victory for democracy, that everything is now fine and dandy in Afghanistan hooray people we've fixed these silly poor muslim's lives for them. Very disturbing.
The whole thing scares the hell out of me and I feel so powerless.

------------------
You wanna save humanity, it's just the people you can't stand-John Lennon

Witness the infinite justice of the new century. Civilians starving to death whilst waiting to be killed.

Manky Confuddledness

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the problems with getting involved in another country's civil war is that we do not get to chose our allies. Yes the "Northern Alliance" contains dispicable individuals. However, should the United States have been making war on both sides of the Afghan civil war?

War imposes hard choices. In WWII, we had to hold our collective noses and ally ourselves with Josef Stalin, one of history's greatest mass murderers. Yet the Soviet Union fought by far the greatest part of the land war against Nazi Germany. We would not have been able to defeat the Nazis without its participation.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"However, should the United States have been making war on both sides of the Afghan civil war?"

Should the United States really have been making war on either side of the Afghan civil war?

Having said that, I've been so relieved to see these boards free of the bickering over the war that most boards are now over run with, maybe it's not the time or the place to discuss it.
Life is just too damn complicated

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.