Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » "the short end of the stick"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "the short end of the stick"
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the recent controversy in Kansas...

Suffrage doesn't please female Kansas state senator
Update: O'Connor attempts to clarify remarks on women's suffrage
Pressure grows on O'Connor over views on women's right to vote

The gist of the articles is that State Senator Kay O'Connor made comments that she didn't support women's sufferage and that she wouldn't vote for it if asked today.

quote:
Asked if she supports the 19th Amendment, the Republican lawmaker responded: "I'm an old-fashioned woman. Men should take care of women, and if men were taking care of women (today) we wouldn't have to vote.

"I'm sorry women have not been taken more care of," she said. "We have gotten the short end of the stick."

If the measure were up for ratification today, she said, she would not support it.

And later the article goes on to say...

quote:
"My husband is the head of the household and I am the heart. And the head can't live without the heart," she said during the interview. "I offer my suggestions, but I give (my husband) the right to make the final decision."

As a state leader, O'Connor said, it is more important to stay true to her convictions than simply mirror the views of her constituents.

"And if I don't get re-elected, my only punishment is to go home to my husband and my roses and my children and my grandchildren," she said. "And if the trips to Topeka get to be too much and my husband asks me to quit... I would."

The entire situation simply drips with irony...a woman, who doesn't support sufferage, and doesn't believe women should have to make these decisions, is a state senator? I also think it begs the question about what her decisions are really based on. Basically she endorses the old idea of "coverture"...in other words, that a woman is 'covered by' her husband, her responsibility is to mirror his views. So if this is her stand, and that is more important to her than to stand for the people who elected her...then who is really casting her votes? And, is she being honest and fair with her constituents by not necessarily representing them? Does she make her decisions, or does she simply mirror her husband's political opinions?

Any thoughts?

~KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate

------------------
"Not everything in this magical world is quite what it seems"

"Remember, I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together!"

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 10-04-2001).]

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sapphire85
Activist
Member # 2709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sapphire85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's pretty strange. Some "old-fashioned" people must have voted for her, because I don't know that any progressive persons would. I certainly wouldn't. She's negating the entire feminist movement by saying that women need to be taken care of by men. Obviously, we've proved that theory wrong. I'm not going to say that staying home (if that is a woman's personal choice) is wrong in any way, but it is not the only option for females. There's millions of options. I wonder if she's pro-life too.

------------------
"Do what you will, always..
Walk where you like, your steps...
Do as you please,
I'll back you up.." ~DMB

Posts: 121 | From: Some random suburb.. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Doe
Activist
Member # 3836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Doe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think she is loony tunes.
Posts: 475 | From: ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do too. Very well put John.

How weird.

------------------
I am not who I appear to be.

Gaffer--from under the moon backstage

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...well that's the kind of view my mother has really, although hers is slightly more moderate and for religious reasons. However, I cannot begin to imagin the number of arguments we have had over it, and how heatedf those arguments have got at times!
I suppose, as long as your views on a woman's place don't interfere with any other women's lives, then you're entitled to them. But that's diffifult if you're a Senator!
Then again, I can see how if you really believe the bible, it would be easy to interpret it that way. (I don't believe the bible, but I have read it several times so I'm not just assuming!)
eg, 1 Corinthians 11:3 "But I want you to know that the head of every man is the Christ, in turn the head of a woman is the man."
1 Corinthians 11:9 "and what is more, man was not created for the sake of woman, but woman for the sake of man"
1 Corinthians 14:34 "let the women keep silent in the congregations, for it is not permitted for them to speak, but let them e in subjection as the Law says."

Well, interpret them as you will but those scriptures make me pretty damn mad! (No disrespect to anyone who believes the bible, as I'm sure you interpret them in a more moderate way.
Anyway, the Senator in question is quite likely a devote Christian, and I can see where she got her views from.

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well actually if you look at the context of the letters to the Corinthians, the fact the woman seem to be ruled by the men just would not be questioned at the time. Christianity was a very progressive Religion and so in some ways it did not want to challenge every single belief held by people at the time. So women's places should really be considered a side part to Christianity and not a main part of it.

I am certain you can be a feminist and still a devout Christian.

I dunno what to say about the senator to be honest. Shouldnt she really be in the kitchen rather than in politics if she believes that?

If that was a man making those comments then a phrase involving a wall, shot, put up against, first and when the revolution comes would come to mind (sorry if thats rather strong). But with a woman saying it, its impossible to feel anger, just amazement at her pitiable backwardness.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.