Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Urban Outfitters shirt sparks storm on campus

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Urban Outfitters shirt sparks storm on campus
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At Yale and at other campuses around North America, controversy has been aroused by a shirt that had been on sale at some Urban Outfitters outlets.

The shirt (which can largely be seen at the first link) depicts a woman suggestively bent over and seemingly, preparing for slaughter. Different parts of her are labeled things like 'breast', 'rump' and 'loin'.

It also features the heading 'Kansas Cattle Queen' and says 'Tender Juicy Beef'.
While the overwhelming sentiment seems to be that the shirt represents the "literal dismemberment of a woman's body", one Yale (where it all started) student disagreed.

"(The shirt) is so perfect, so true. What about a tube top or a low-cut shirt that objectifies women in reality?"

I see his point, but I think Urban Outfitters made a really, really bad judgement call here. Whoever is responsible for that shirt having seen the light of day should get, and probably has had a good talking to.

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, while I can see some people (the Women's and Gender Studies group that I know among them) getting their panties all in a wad about this, and while I can see a national clothing store chain needing to know better, all I can say is:

If I had found this t-shirt while browsing the $.89 racks at Value Village, I would damn well be wearing it. It's ironic, and I think it makes a good point. (I think the guy who said "what about tube tops" almost makes a good point - it's our choice to wear those silly things, though.)

However, being mostly just generally opposed to the idea of Urban Outfitters (this is the same chain that buys up $9 rubbish sale coats, cleans them and retags them for 80 bucks +), I gotta say I wonder about them with this choice. Did they not think they were going to get ANY flak for this?

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com.
"How can I look in your eyes when I feel like to die I have to run away?" --Joga, "Dam Dariram"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, when I saw a photo of that and the objection to it, I sat in a state of shock.

Why? Because that image, as memory serves, nearly to the letter and on a graphic level, in it's entirety, originated in response to the Miss America pageant protest in 1968, and was designed by women in the feminist movement. That gender studies proffessors don't recall something so recent in feminist history is really astounding to me, and quite telling. Most of them are my age or well older. At Yale no less. Cripes.

I am flabberghasted that no one seems to have brought this up yet. So, I don't know how worthy of criticism UO really is, since they are only 'recycling" a design from some time back that came to be AS a feminst statement.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 10-02-2001).]

Posts: 68241 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingBri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe it or not, the Miss America pagent has actually IMPROVED a lot in the past 20 years. At the time this image came out, it literally was a cattle call. I am not even sure the contestants had to speak. Aside from the talent portion (cough), the whole thing was indeed simply rumps, loins and breasts.

So the message I'm getting from the shirt is to look at ways in which women are STILL seen that way. I don't feel that the shirt is actually promoting that point of view.

Why do we find images like this so threatening? Where is our critical thinking?

------------------
Hope this helps,
--Bri

Posts: 848 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Doe
Activist
Member # 3836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Doe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The strange thing about the miss America Pagent is that the viewers of it are more than 70% female.
Posts: 475 | From: ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shyly looks around and raises her hand* um. I could corroborate with John's statistic. though I think it's mostly morbid curiosity. "people come in those proportions? and they can stand up? is that *duct* tape?"

while beauty pageants are annoying and decidedly anti-feminist, I rather like them. but I'm ashamed to admit it. it's not like those women are my type, either. it's just fascinating.

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sapphire85
Activist
Member # 2709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sapphire85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Miz Scarlet! I knew it was from the Miss America pagent protests. Or at least, I could imagine it is a picture similar to those used there. Go Women's Studies courses. :-) So my point has been taken.
Posts: 121 | From: Some random suburb.. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What bugs me is that the shirts with that image were apparently intended for men, not women, which does make it seem like objectification more than irony. Too bad.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why?

For one, I see WAY more women shoipping at UO than men, and I mayself often shop in their mens section (in the clearance raqcks -- their regular prices are just lunacy).

Too, perhaps we might want to consider that just maybe a) they thought it more fitting and interesting to make it for men, having men make the statement in the same vein the design was originally intended (men can be feminists too, yanno) or b) -- which I'd vote for -- they didn't give it any real thought at all, but just thought (as they seem to often with cultural graphics) "hey, cool graphic, let's rip it off and make some moolah."

Which ain't exactly philanthropy either, but it's also fairly harmless in terms of the normal operations of our capitalistic culture.

Personally, perhaps the best suggestion if you're bothered by the shgirts is not to write in asking them to stop selling them, but to ask them to donate 10% of the profits of each saale to NOW or PP or AI since they're clearly concerned about human and woman's rights?

(...and Yay for Sapphire! And for your women's studies profs, who appear to be more on top of the studies they're teaching than the gender studies dept. at Yale)
------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 10-03-2001).]

Posts: 68241 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:
perhaps the best suggestion if you're bothered by the shgirts is not to write in asking them to stop selling them, but to ask them to donate 10% of the profits of each saale to NOW or PP or AI since they're clearly concerned about human and woman's rights?

Or you could just ignore them completely and therefore keep from giving UO the publicity they so desire.

I thought the image sounded familiar, although I didn't know it came from a Miss America protest! I do recall seeing that image on a postcard when GumdropGirl and I were shopping in Berkeley. And I found the irony hilarious.

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.