Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Gay couples in germany

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gay couples in germany
Touchstone
Neophyte
Member # 3659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Touchstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I know little of this topic, but heard it on NPR, and thought it would be of interest to this forum.

In germany, gay couples are allowed to register as couples, there are many restrictions placed upon them, they cannot adopt children, and there are last name restrictions. also i know that german courts are looking into if this law is contradictory to their constitution.

as i said, the little i know is from national public radio, and they only had a short proogram on it, and i was playing Everquest at the time, but i payed as much attention as i could, sounded like an interesting topic

Posts: 36 | From: USA, NY | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeno
Neophyte
Member # 5125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeno     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the Netherlands, where I live, gay couples are allowed to register as couples for a few years now. Since about half a year they can also marry (through the state that is, but if any religious institute is willing to affirm the marriage, they may). In Belgium a law which makes gay marriage possible is to be accepted by the parliament, I believe.
The gay marriage in the Netherlands is totally equal to a heterosexual marriage, except for a few minor points, which I forgot. Gay couples (not necessarily married ones) can also adopt children.
Personally, I think this is a great development and I hope other countries will follow. However, I am afraid that the US will not anytime soon. Part of the reason why these laws could be accepted was that Christian parties and the Church in general are both a relatively small political factor in Europe (about 36/150 of the seats in the Dutch parliament are of Christian parties). This is of course not true for the US.

What do other people think? A good idea, or have we Europeans gone overboard?

Posts: 8 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find myself really wanting to move to Europe now...people seem to have a lot more real freedom over there...
Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not England thought. At the moment our poor excuse for a Prime Minister is sucking up to Mr Bush so dont expect any sweeping reforms in our law for now. Though I think gay couples can gain the tax benefits that are the same as being married. They just cant "officially" be married.

------------------
'An Anarchist is a Liberal with a bomb' Trotsky

Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zeno, any country that treats gay people like people, rather than something wrong and unnatural which needs to be banned, is a great thing.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.