Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Jenna Bush Gets Busted for Alcohol

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jenna Bush Gets Busted for Alcohol
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'm sure many of you know the story. Jenna Bush, daughter of GW, was caught and cited for buying alcohol with a fake ID.

Bad girl. Naughty girl.

But what's the real issue here?

The media looms over the story because uh-oh, the president's daughter was caught red-handed! The media has the proverbial ball in their hands, but they don't know which way to run. Do they keep going because she broke a law and got punished for it? Or do they back off because it's a private matter, and more or less, a peccadillo.

Okay, she got caught. She got caught doing something I see happening hundreds of times a day. yes, she got her deserved punishment, fron the courts anyway. But the newshounds have blown an incident that doesn't even get so much as a blurb in my student newspaper into something of international proportions. Jenna's real crime is her association with a prominent individual.

Jenna tried to be normal like any of the tens of thousands of kids at UT or here at Cal. And while we can get away with our bar-hopping and frat parties from time to time -- and yes, there are a fair number of ppl who get busted for minor in possession -- it's only a blip on our radar, something we'll joke about at the next party we go to.

Jnna, on the other hand, has had to learn a hard lesson on how fame can cramp a person's lifestyle. No, she's not a role model. But she's going to be under plenty of scrutiny for at least the next 4 years, probably more, considering we still hear bits about Chelsea from time to time.

------------------
i use angst

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beenthere
Neophyte
Member # 3904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beenthere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just goes to show you that the media would rather harass people rather than deliver something that is newsworthy.
Posts: 25 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually feel sorry for Jenna B. Argh, she basically got busted for acting like a regular 19 year old girl. I'm sure glad *MY* life wasn't up for national scrutiny at age 19. I'd make Jenna look like a nun
Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shows you how different Canada and the United States are.

quote:
[CND, 02/16/97] Michel Chretien, the adopted son of Jean Chretien, was freed on Friday from a Regina halfway house, the Globe and Mail reported. Michel, a native Indian by origin, was convicted of sexually assaulting a Montreal woman in 1992. He was sentenced to three years in prison.

Jean Chretien is the Prime Minister of Canada and this story got minimal play in the press. It wasn't ignored but it was felt to be not relevent to M. Chretien's performance of his duties.

------------------
The most exciting phrase in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" ("I found it!") but rather "Hmmm... that's funny...."

- Isaac Asimov

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 06-01-2001).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gummy, while I see your point of view, and while I don't agree with the moronic 21-year drinking age, these are the facts:

Jenna and Barbara broke the law. One several occasions. They used false ID and drank while minors.

This is illegal, regardless of who their father is, and they should be punished. Hell, they should EXPECT to be caught. "I know, I'll go out with my twin sister - oh, btw, my father is G.W. - and we'll go to a popular place in Austin and use fake ID."

Naughty girl? Stupid girl.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Is love like the sweet, bitter taste of marmalade on burnt toast?"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel
Activist
Member # 2870

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read that as governer, Bush himself opposed moves in Texas to lower the legal drinking age to 19. So this story is amusing to me in an ironic kinda way, if it's true
Posts: 105 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As someone noted in a letter in the paper this morning, maybe the two of them would be interested in coming to Canada for university, where they can drink to their hearts' desire.

Maybe they've also inherited daddy's brains.

------------------
When you get off work tonight, meet me at the construction site, and we'll write some notes to tape to the heavy machines, like "We hope they treat you well. Hope you don't work too hard. We hope you get to be happy sometimes."
-the Weakerthans

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
I read that as governer, Bush himself opposed moves in Texas to lower the legal drinking age to 19. So this story is amusing to me in an ironic kinda way, if it's true.

This is partly true. My understanding (this is based on the LA Times, which recently has seemed not to check their facts too well) is that the drinking age in Texas was 18 for many years, and was raised to 21 during Bush's tenure as governor. There has been incredibly intensive lobbying by Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) all throughout the United States since 1988 to make 21 the legal drinking age nationwide. And Bush was one of those who got his state to upgrade their drinking age to that arbitrary age.

I wasn't really into drinking before I turned 21, and in fact I don't drink very often now even though I am a year past the legal drinking age. It has just never been something I was all that interested in. But for people that are interested in it, I have to wonder why it is perfectly okay to choose a president at 18, yet illegal to choose an alcoholic drink at that same age. Eighteen-year olds fight and die in battle, but can't legally drink alcohol. Same with police, who have to be 20 years and 6 months old at the time of hide. It doesn't make sense to me at all.

As for the media, they just love this sort of thing. I heard somebody on the news this morning claim that this is purely politically motivated, but I can recall when Al Gore's daughter Karenna was arrested for public intoxication, driving under the influence, and drunk and disorderly conduct. Three separate offenses during Gore's tenure as vice-president. And the media ate that up just as much.

------------------
"Unit 12, 12D, 16A, 18S; respond to the fight in progress, weapons used are hands and feet. Suspect 1 is a male white with no arms or legs..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starry Night
Activist
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with Lemming - regardless of who the girls are, they broke the law. And I respectfully think they should be punished like any other underage alcohol-purchaser. If you noticed what happened the first time Jenna attempted to do this, she got essentially a slap on the wrist - most likely b/c alot of teens do this often, AND that GW happens to be el presidente.

But you know what? She did it again. Without thinking of the ramifications. And I think that she should be punished. The media is only covering this b/c once in awhile you get a case that represents a national issue - I think that JB should be prosecuted not only to set an example b/c she's a public figure, but so that her father can show that he does sign legislation that he will indeed enforce.

Plus, in England when Tony Blair's son was found dead drunk in a gutter one weekend in July, I read many front page articles about that in British papers.

Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it fair though, that Jenna Bush is used as an example simply because of who her father is? I'm not arguing against the fact that she's being punished for breaking the law (although I do think that 21 is a ridiculously high legal drinking age)- but it's not really fair that she is made an example of while others who get prosecuted for the same thing are allowed to go on with their lives.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know Bobo,
It's funny that you mention those problems that Michael Chrétien was having, and say about them that they didn't warrant much coverage up here. After all, this Bush thing made the front pages of many newspapers (the Globe and the Post for starters) I saw.

We don't care about what our leaders' kids do, but when it's their leaders' kids...

Yeesh. How dumb are we?

------------------
When you get off work tonight, meet me at the construction site, and we'll write some notes to tape to the heavy machines, like "We hope they treat you well. Hope you don't work too hard. We hope you get to be happy sometimes."
-the Weakerthans

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She should have known better. I mean, her father is the PRESIDENT!!! Not only has she embarrassed her father (who has already done enough embarrassing things on his own...), but she should have known that getting caught meant being displayed all over the country for her crimes. I say they should play the hell out of it in the media, they did the same to Clinton, and if you ask me, that was just as private a matter, if not more so.
Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JunkiePanda
Activist
Member # 4006

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JunkiePanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thw whole bush family needs to be locked up in a box safely away from the rest of the gene pool.
Posts: 141 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey now. you can hate whoever, but no cheap shots. no need to be bashing on anyone.

------------------
| |: BGBGDGBG BGBGCGBG :| |

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.