Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Should Surrogate Motherhood be outlawed?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should Surrogate Motherhood be outlawed?
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Japan has just seen it's first surrogate delivery and it has sparked off outrage.

quote:
Critics say that the procedure not only subjects the surrogate mother to high risks, but also affects the conventional relationship between a mother and a child

However, as the doctor in charge said, 'Using a surrogate mother is the only way for a woman, whose uterus has been surgically removed, to have a baby.'

Surrogate motherhood is currently illegal in countries like France and Germany.

Personally, I do not see anything wrong with it should the surrogate mother fully understand the difficulties, both physical and emotional, she has to go through.

What do you think?

This link will be up for another week or so if you want to check out the full article.
http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/asia/story/0,1870,45252,00.html?

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always dreamed of being able to do something like that for a couple not being able to carry a baby on their own.

I don't understand why it would be tho ... You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. If a woman tries this once and has a hard time w/ it, she won't do it again. Experience is the worlds best teacher

------------------
"Did you know ... you can have intercourse on Saturday and get pregnant on Monday?? Don't know how? ASK!"

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lostcat
Activist
Member # 3295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lostcat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think it entirely depends on the situation.

i once read an article about potential surrogate mothers being targeted- these mothers had to have extraordinarily high SAT scores, athletic and/or arts talent, and be downright beautiful. of course, the mothers were being paid high amounts to carry these children around. which i think is wrong.

but, i do think it can be a wonderful thing when a best friend/sister/etc. does it.

------------------
"i need to wash myself again to hide all the dirt and pain, 'cos i'd be scared that there's nothing underneath"- radiohead

Posts: 73 | From: chicago, il, usa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There can be a problem if the surrogate mother bonds with the baby. Some intersting custody battles have arisen. As far as I know, there are no court-recognised surrogate contracts.

------------------
The most exciting phrase in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" ("I found it!") but rather "Hmmm... that's funny...."

- Isaac Asimov

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is no way i could have a baby for someone else because i would get so attached to the baby i wouldnt want to give it up. i think that that is the only problem with it. other than the emotional attachment i think that it is great to help someone out like that. it is not an easy desicion though. i would want to surrogate mother to go through counseling before and after and make some kind of contract to where the baby would have to be given to the parent.
Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it depends entirely on the woman carrying the baby and the people she's carrying it for. Some people can handle it, some people can't.

I'm not sure I would want to carry a baby for people I didn't know or wasn't emotionally connected to, but under certain circumstances I would be more than pleased to be a surrogate mother. Since my sister's car accident, we're unsure of the state of her ability to concieve or carry a child. And if she wanted one, I'd be the first one to offer her either my eggs, or to carry a child for her.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
the kittenblog

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt, credunt. Men willingly believe what they wish."
~Caius Julius Caeser

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont' think so, if she knows the risks and is prepared to do so. For some people that is the way they want to have children and that is their decision.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wait. lostcat, isn't a surrogate mother someone who carries someone else's (the "real" mother's) fertilized egg? maybe i'm wrong, but i thought the controversy you're talking about with the extraordinarily beautiful women with high SAT scores is that surrounding egg donation/selling, not surrogate motherhood.

but maybe i'm wrong.

em

------------------
if you want to kiss the sky, you better learn how to kneel (on your knees, boy) -U2

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing to consider ...

I think i've heard in the news lately about something concerning this type of thing. Apparently when eggs are transfered to a surrogate mother (or eggs are donated to the mom-to-be), the child ends up w/ the DNA of both women and the man. So this kid now really has two moms and a dad. Weird. That's the only reason i would disagree w/ it ... But i don't think this has even really been proven yet.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're partially right, em. That controversey is more common for egg donors, but surrogate mothers can sometimes also be the source of the egg -- say, if the woman who wants the baby has had her ovaries removed.

------------------
And there's nothing I can do, as I realize with fright, the spider-man is having me for dinner tonight!

Yet Another Online Diary

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel this topic is better suited for Sexual Ethics and Politics, so I'm moving it there.

------------------
And there's nothing I can do, as I realize with fright, the spider-man is having me for dinner tonight!

Yet Another Online Diary

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.