Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Mothers' Day and Political Correctness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mothers' Day and Political Correctness
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
A private day school in New York City has banned Mothers' Day (and Fathers' Day) in the name of political correctness.

http://www.looktown.com/lifestyle/mom2001/being/050801-01.html

Is there anything that can't be targeted?

------------------
The most exciting phrase in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" ("I found it!") but rather "Hmmm... that's funny...."

- Isaac Asimov

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 05-08-2001).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that that's horrible. Mother's and father's day are not just days that we use to thank our parents, they're for our grandparents, aunts and uncles. At least in my family.

These are days that we use to show our parents, or care givers how much we love and appreciate them. Too bad if it doesn't fit in with what the schools are teaching.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont think its a great loss. These holidays were mainly created for commerce anyway, so thatrich shops could get even richer by selling more cards.
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's ridiculous. If they're so worried about protecting the feelings of kids without a female/male parent (which is, admittedly, a good thing, but they didn't have to go and do something like this), why weren't these holidays banned long ago to account for children with dead or absent parents?
Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm ... This bites. It really really does.

Everyone comes from two very important parts; ovum and sperm. Right? Ova come from the female and sperm come from the male. Now we've gotten the biological part out of the way ...

In my family, we also don't only send cards to our parents. My sister and I would always send cards to our aunts, grandparents and any other female friend/relative who has children. And we do the same for fathers day. I think these kids will continue to celebrate it anyway ... I know that I would want my kids' father to still have a fathers day, whether the school likes it or not.

Whatever happened to going w/ majority ... B/c one person complains, they ban it for the rest of the school? That just doesn't make very much sense to me ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that this is going a bit far, but I can also understand. It made me uncomfortable talking about my family at school. I felt like such a liar, making father's day cards with lawnmowers and ties on them... you know, all the stereotypical crafts they make you do, so we can pretend we're in the 50s with a macho dad and a demure mother...

If schools smartened up and used mother's/father's day to celebrate caregivers in all their forms, that would be great. But if it's going to be more preaching of traditional gender roles, I say good riddance! Besides, there is nothing stopping these kids from using their own initiative to do something for their mom and dad.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juice
Activist
Member # 3325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it is a great loss, like Confused said, but I also think it is nice to think of our parents and gaurdians and how much they help us.

If the school is worried about making kids w/ out a mother/father feel bad, why not make it Parents' day, they can make a craft for whoever they live with, or who helps them with stuff?

Posts: 45 | From: Toronto, Ontatio, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when the Khmer Rouge came to power, they took children from their homes and "reeducated" them, essentially brainwashing them to be cold-blooded killing machines. the first step in the brainwashing process was to dissociate the kids from their parents -- repeatedly telling them that there was no such thing as family and that parents were nothing more than autocrats. the Khmer Rouge's most successful soldier were under the age of 14.

first you take away mother's day...

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mother's Day isn't very big among most Singaporeans and as my mum always says "I don't need you to do anything special for me on Mother's Day. Just do a little something everyday and I will be very happy"

So it wouldn't have been a great loss for me but I'm not sure how big it is over in other countries.

But yup, the idea of a parents day does sound like a good idea. Funny they didn't think of that.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand that extensively celebrating a holiday like these can be troublesome for kids of non-traditional families (or where a parent has passes away), however, I personally think instead of not celebrating the day at all, the school schould have re-assigned the day to a celebration of caregivers, no matter whether those are female or not or biologically related or not.

------------------
"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This will now be the fifth Mothers' Day without my mom, and I remember that it was her favorite holiday of the year...she liked it more than her birthday!

I have not felt left out, hurt, cheated, or otherwise upset over the fact that Mothers' Day has been celebrated while I have no mother to honor. Instead, I gave a card to my grandmother and my next-door neighbor. I understand that not everybody has a mother these days, but I personally think it is nice to have a special day to pay homage to such a special person in our lives.

------------------
"Unit 11A to Station, do we know what's behind Door Number One?"

BruinDan's Blog!

ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mothers' Day, Fathers' Day, Grandparents' Day...they were all created by Hallmark so sell more cards anyways.
Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clav
Activist
Member # 678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clav     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by morganlh85:
...all created by Hallmark so sell more cards anyways.

Mothers day was originally called 'Mothering Sunday'. It had nothing whatsoever to do with mothers. It was originally a day where all the churches would pay tribute to their 'mother' church. Don't know why it changed to its current form... (but as far as I know fathers day was introduced for equality - and now they're taking both away? :confused
Anyway, I don't really do anything for mothers day (the whole parents moving 6000 miles away and leaving me in boarding school thing :mad apart from an e-card, but I don't see why people should be told not to celebrate it, especially as people don't just use it for biologival mothers. It seems rather odd...

Posts: 54 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clav! I had no idea! The things I learn from all of you...

Seems to me that a good compromise could be made. Make a family day. Whoever your family is -- be it mothers, fathers, aunts, nuns, friends, pug puppies (hee), whatever, you get to celebrate them.

If you're your own family, you get to celebrate you.

Personally, I don't see the big to-do with Mom's Day, heck we have Secretaries Day and everything else under the sun, but I'm also all for incusive improvements, so make a family day.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Miz Scarlet. Making these days into 'family' days wouldn't hurt anyone. It would only serve to make the days more broad and accessible.

------------------
When you get off work tonight, meet me at the construction site, and we'll write some notes to tape to the heavy machines, like "We hope they treat you well. Hope you don't work too hard. We hope you get to be happy sometimes."
-the Weakerthans

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In America, a woman named Anne Jarvis is credited with starting the official observance of Mother' Day.

In 1907, Jarvis was commemorating her mother's death two years earlier...and had a massive ceremoney in West Virgina. She was so moved by the ceremony that she began a campaign to adopt a holiday formally honoring mothers across the country. In 1910, West Virginia became the first state to have such a holiday. President Woodrow Wilson then made it into a national holiday in 1914.

But interestingly enough, a few years after the celebration began, Jarvis became enraged by what she saw as the "commercialization" of the holiday she had helped create. By 1923 she filed a lawsuit to stop Mother's Day festivities, and in 1924 Jarvis was arrested for disturbing the peace when she disrupted another Mother's Day festival.

When she died in 1948 at the age of 84, Jarvis had spent all of her money fighting the holiday she had helped start. She had never married and had no children of her own, and when asked about Mothers Day by a newspaper reporter just before her death, Jarvis said "I am sorry I ever started the holiday."

I guess commercialization of holidays isn't a new thing...this one has been like that for nearly a century!

------------------
"Unit 11A to Station, do we know what's behind Door Number One?"

BruinDan's Blog!

ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*stares blankly @ Dan* Where do you come up w/ this stuff? lol It really is good to know but ... You sound like you a dictionary or somethin

Hmm ... We have grandparents day. There is one, somewhere in the calander, just not sure where. I visit bluemountain.com a lot when i'm bored and they've got a whole bunch of weird holidays. There's billions of them. The silly reasons they can convince people to send Ecards ... geez! But people like me fall for it every time And it's an excuse to tell important people in your life that you love them.

Again, tho ... I fail to see how it could hurt to have a mothers day. Now they have to get rid of fathers day to be fair. What's the point of that? Why not just keep them both?

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

quote:
Originally posted by LilBlueSmurf:
*stares blankly @ Dan* Where do you come up w/ this stuff? lol It really is good to know but ... You sound like you a dictionary or somethin

Ugh....I had to write an essay and give an oral presentation about Mother's Day in 10th grade...I still cant get that stuff out of my head.

$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I looooooove Mother's Day. Last year I went with my siblings and my mum to this buffet thing and we ate food and ate and ate...it was pretty nice actually, we got to talk a lot about some things and found out she'd failed math in her final exam Luvya mummmy.

------------------
*Read my diary

*Read my page

*And...alwayz :)

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.