Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Gays in the military...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gays in the military...
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if the Man finds out you're gay, you get kicked out of the army. I find that ridiculous. What EXACTLY are they trying to accomplish with this rule?
Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here, if you are gay, you must tell the officers during your medical checkups and you get sent to a different bunk where all the gay men are.

Which I find very insulting as though homosexuals are abnormal or something. Or worse, is the military afraid that these homosexuals will try to rape all the hetereosexual men? Geez. Someone up there needs to get a brain.

But apparently, being homosexual is listed as a disease in some world health directory which we follow. That's what I heard from some of my homosexual friends who have served in the army already so I am not too sure how true that is.

------------------
Want More Lin?

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's so stupid! Being homosexual is just anther lifestyle. As far as i'm concerned, that's like seperating religions or race, and i find it VERY very very wrong.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saying homosexuality is a lifestyle makes it sound as though it's a choice. It is just heterosexuality with a little tweaking--now if only we could penetrate the thick skulls of whoever is in charge of the world. It's like that old saying: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

The only argument I've ever heard that supports banning me from the military is really weak, something to do with undermining group dynamics in the field--I don't know, it was too silly to make a note of. Nooooo, I ended a sentence with a preposition. Ach, I did it again.

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Poor preposition users are not allowed in the military. Too bad!

Personally, I don't find the idea of having big holes shot in me to be particularly heterosexual. Not sure why...

------------------
Good: "Good evening, Mr Bigglesworth. I'm dating your daughter Lauren."
Bad: "Hi tubby! I'm the guy who's porking your daughter!"

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing this argument at another message board. One person was saying that they don't believe that gay people should be in the military for those "group dynamic" reasons. Another was quick to point out that in times of war, the restrictions about gay men are some of the first ones to be conveniently "forgotten". When it comes down to actual combat where lives are at stake, no one seems to be too worried about the group dynamic. It goes to show that the argument for keeping non-heterosexual people out of the military is one based on prejudice, rather than on serious arguments.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if anyone is desperate to join the military, come to Singapore.

The only reason gays are probably allowed in the military here is because we don't have enough men.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought at the moment that America and Europe had introduced the 'dont ask, dont tell' poilicy meaning that you could be in the army and no one would ask about your sexuality. Has it changed again or was that just a proposal? Oh and as said in a previous thread, homosexuality has been encouraged in armies in some parts of history (Ancient Geece) as it encouraged better comradeship.
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree confused, this all got my confused, too. To the best of my knowledge, the US Army does have "don't ask don't tell", doesn't it? I shall check that up.

Over here in Germany, the army does not discriminate against people who are not hetero. Anyone can join, if (s)he passes the entrance exams.

We don't have a "don't ask don't tell" policy, you can be openly gay in the armed forces, even though I am not quite sure as to how well that actually works in reality. Since January, women can join, too, and I had the pleasure of getting my hands on an official Bundeswehr guideline on "Sexuality in the armed forces" which gives regulations as to how women and non hetero people should be included and that people should respect each others sexuality. It's written for people who have lived on some planet ruled by heterosexual men (that's actually a pretty good methaphor for our armed forces), really quite hilarious in all, bummer that it is in german, I bet you'd get a kick out of it, too. Quite funny.

------------------
"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the impact of the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy in the US army, check out this June 2000 article from Salon.com

"Don't ask, don't tell, don't fall in love"

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 05-02-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lin ~

I read an article a while back about how the Chinese gov. still viewed homosexuality as an illness. This has changed recently, or is in the process of changing. Maybe it will for you guys too ... ??

------------------
If you choke a smurf, what colour does it turn?

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baptist
Activist
Member # 3017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Baptist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
--edited by KittenGoddess--

Baptist, the entire content of this post is blatently homophobic and completely unacceptable for this board. I have removed it because it is offensive. The content of your post has been emailed to Miz Scarlet with a note for her to review what you have chosen to express. Please remember that around here that kind of attitude will not be tolerated at all.

If you have a problem with this, please feel free to email Miz Scarlet about it.

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 05-02-2001).]

Posts: 232 | From: Woodbridge, Virginia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Baptist? I don't want to start a fight with you, I really, really don't. But guess what? If you're gay, that doesn't mean you're lusting for every person around you. Its just like it is for heterosexuals; you might get a crush on someone, or you might find a number of people attractive. But most people can contain themselves enough to not physically leap upon someone of the opposite sex and start banging them at the drop of a hat. If you do that, you're a rapist. The way you put it, I get the feeling you think homosexuals must all be perverts or rapisits. I can understand the discomfort of people who may be **potentially** sexually attracted to you sharing a shower room, but you know what? You live in this world, and you may have to get over the discomfort. Whether you agree with homosexuality or not, there is something called tolerance which can do a whole lot of good.

Oh, and as a side note, homosexuality was extremely common in both the Greek and Roman armies, and I think they all fought pretty well.

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downwards...

"Ni! Ni! Niii!" -Monty Python & the Holy Grail

"Ennui is insufficient reason to commit suicide." -Neil Gaiman

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get to read baptist's post, but I can pretty much figure what he said.

Well, if we're afraid of gay people falling in love, then shouldn't women be barred from the military? What's stopping them from falling in love, or the straight men from falling in love with them?

The army isn't about love. People don't join the army to get a date. They do it for love of their country. If we were at war, and needed protection, would you really care if that person who were helping you was gay or straight?

Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
edited

[This message has been edited by BruinDan (edited 09-25-2002).]

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of you are making really excellent points, here.

The truth of the matter is that in ANY work situation, we rarely even know about someone's sexual orientation or identity unless we have the time to ask about them and their partnerships, and their lives.

And if in any work situation, having a worker who may be attracted to other workers is an issue, then considering that most people in the world are heterosexual, perhaps we'd best start there.

However, work is work. And anyone who takes their job seriously knows that, and knows what boundaries and limitations need be to ensure they and others can do their work.

Not only are straight men not the only people who can be "warriors," but men and women, of any orientation, can be.

And for the record, most rapists are, and always have been, heterosexual men, as are most of the men who rape in prisons and in wars.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.