Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » The Clitoris Dialogues

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Clitoris Dialogues
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.salon.com/sex/feature/2001/03/05/clitoris/index.html

This article covers one of my main points of contention with Eve Ensler's "The Vagina Monologues". Simply put, the vagina *isn't* central to us understanding ourselves and our bodies and our sexuality in the way that the clitoris is.

(Additionally, a bunch of women tittering at the words "snatch" and "vagina" and whatever else just makes me sigh.)

What do you think? Remember, ya gotta read the article...

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Is love like the sweet, bitter taste of marmalade on burnt toast?"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fabulous article but I really have to get a copy of "The Vagina Monologues" before saying anything else.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC_WillowFan
Activist
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also admit that the article is great. What do I think about it ? I'm not sure about that but yeah it has many true facts that many people ignore or simply refuse to admit.

But of course I'd like to get a copy of that book, it seems really interesting.

David

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you conpletely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rdavid
Activist
Member # 3041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rdavid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(warning: ramble ahead)
Wow, good article, really interesting points. From what I remember of The Vagina Monologues (I get to see it again on the 29th! yahoo!), "vagina" was being used as a blanket term for the female sexual anatomy. Eve Ensler used the term because it is usually the one that causes the most discomfort -- not a whole lot of people I know can say "vagina" with a straight face. There's a segment where a woman talks about having her first orgasm, and if I remember correctly, it was a clitoral orgasm. So, she's not just talking about The Birth Canal here.

But yeah, I think more attention definitely needs to be paid to the clitoris. The clitoris is the only organ on the human body whose sole function is pleasure -- no wonder the patriarchy has downplayed it Stupid Freud and Victorian medical discourse... anyway.

So medical researchers are finally finding out about women's bodies after ignoring and/or pathologizing them for years: they have found that the clitoris is actually much more than meets the eye and has some pretty important internal components -- as I understand it, it sort of branches back in two directions and comes pretty close to the G-spot, which suggests that clitoral and G-spot orgasms are more related than previously thought. Also, there's this huge debate about female ejaculation going on, because up until now nobody has figured out where it comes from, what it's made up of, and how it happens. Funny, that... we know like, the minute details of every single cell in the penis, but not that. I guess sex researchers were too busy denying women maternity leave or something :P Hoo, boy, I should stop before I get all worked up...

Know what? I should be writing an English paper. Why do I have to analyze poetry? Can't I write about vaginas? It's so not fair...

------------------
r.d.m. * riotboy * http://f0o.org
"and you say i'm just a kitty cat in disguise" -- estrojet

Posts: 47 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.